Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Canadian vs. US used prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Canadian vs. US used prices

I know this isn't a new subject by any means, but since I'm going to be in the market soon for a C5, I've been starting my online "window shopping" lately. I'm basically looking for any 6-speed C5 that's still in decent shape, obviously the lower the mileage the better, but trying to limit my budget to $20k max.

Searching the for sale forums here, autotrader.com, etc, there are close to a couple HUNDRED C5's for $20k (US$) or less. And that's specifically 6-speeds (I haven't even bothered looking at automatics). However, trying to search in Canada, there are no more than a handful in the same price range (I mean like, ~10 maybe?? that aren't automatics) ... searching autotrader.ca, kijiji, etc.

What gives?! There are lots of C5's for sale, but the price gap is huge, and very few people seem to have what I'll call "realistic" pricing, based on the current going-rate for US prices.

Given that our dollar is strong, and the process for importing a car to Canada isn't really all that involved, I'm just a little surprised that the prices are staying as high as they are?

I also realize their population is 10X ours, but the number of cars exceeds 10X by a lot!

On that note, if anybody local is in the market to sell their 6-speed C5 for $20k or less (esp. if it's a Z06) then I'm all ears! Otherwise, looks like my money will be going south of the border in the next ~couple months.

Last edited by Cap'n Pete; 06-25-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:03 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I usually buy my cars in the US, but I actually bought my wifes C6 convertible about 150 kms from my house, and somewhat reasonably priced. Why was it reasonably priced? it was a US car brought up 3 years ago. Asking prices are still out to lunch for "Canadian" cars.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:45 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

I would honestly much rather A) avoid the hassle of bringing a car up, and B) support a fellow Canadian, but I'm also trying to look out for my own bottom line, and based on both the pricing and SELECTION, it's pretty hard not to look south . There are a few cars I would consider up here, if the price was about ~$5k less.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:18 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with ya pete, its a big difference in prices here. buying from US is not much but the biggest problem when i bought mine i told seller would you please coperate with me as i need little more info both paper work, pictures and phone calls, some say i will coperate but had to sell in a weeks or so, luckily i was looking for SW white 01 Z and this seller agreed to fully coperate with sale process, had to make 2 visits to NJ, and bring it over here teh cost of 2 visits, taxes, recall letter....so on, alone was over $4k, this does not include my food expenses as i spend that where i go or at home.

keep looking and when time comes lemme know i give you more detailed hints how i did with money transaction and other paperwork related stuff. Look close to border or withing 500-600 miles range, forum members in that area will also can be requested to go check the car, in my case couple forum members went and took more than dozen pictures and detailed report about car, which was a great help.

GL buddy C5 Z is a great car compared to coupe or verts because a couple grand more you can have lots of upgraded features.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:31 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

And don't forget, once July 1st hits, there's really very little reason to buy a used car privately here in Ontario. Before there was at least a little savings, but not anymore. If I were in the market for another Corvette, without a doubt I'd be looking south of the border because as others have stated, more selection, lower price and it appears quite simple to bring the car across.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Overdrive
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest advantage of shopping for a US car is the number to choose from. By the time you figure out all the costs involved then a well bought car here isn't that far from a well bought US car. There's shipping, exchange, RIV, inspection at the car location, etc. With HST the private sales here go up in price, dealer sales are the same.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 AM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On June 25th, 2010 a Canadian dollar was worth 67 cents US. The pricing of vehicles to manufacture, deliver & retain a profit margin [that still wasn't enough to keep the company afloat without the governments help] was much higher. The pricing of cars is much higher still.

There is also something to be said about the mileage on the cars.

When I went through the same exercise you're doing - Very few of the vehicles I looked at in Canada had nearly the mileage as those south of the border. With 6 months of nice'ish weather & lots of rain - the majority of cars here won't get as much travel time.

We also have a much smaller market. Low supply, and higher demand drive the price up.

That said - I hope you find what you are looking for up here - I like to support the CDN economy. I unfortunately couldn't find what I wanted, in my price range here - so went south.

Good luck to ya!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:25 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by leafsfan2005
On June 25th, 2010 a Canadian dollar was worth 67 cents US. The pricing of vehicles to manufacture, deliver & retain a profit margin [that still wasn't enough to keep the company afloat without the governments help] was much higher. The pricing of cars is much higher still.

There is also something to be said about the mileage on the cars.

When I went through the same exercise you're doing - Very few of the vehicles I looked at in Canada had nearly the mileage as those south of the border. With 6 months of nice'ish weather & lots of rain - the majority of cars here won't get as much travel time.

We also have a much smaller market. Low supply, and higher demand drive the price up.

That said - I hope you find what you are looking for up here - I like to support the CDN economy. I unfortunately couldn't find what I wanted, in my price range here - so went south.

Good luck to ya!
You mean 97 cents right....? When I bought my 07 the Canadian dollar was $1.07 to 1 US buck (Dec 07). I paid 70 US for a new loaded (chrome wheels, nav) Z06 with 2 miles on it and with the exchange, I was in for 65 and a bit Canadian. The dealer here quoted me just over one hundred thousand..... plus tax. I would say you can save by buying in the US which is really a shame.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Indy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at some exotics....now that's a Price Difference!!!! Ferrari, Lotus, Aston.....you can get them for almost 1/2 the price there....but importing them can be very expensive and the Lotus Elise is not allowed at all....the Canadian dealerships have such a huge markup on those cars, it's ridiculous...with the strong Canadian dollar, they don't pay more for these cars than US dealers....so they make much more profit here in Canada selling them than the US dealerships.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:09 PM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
You mean 97 cents right....? When I bought my 07 the Canadian dollar was $1.07 to 1 US buck (Dec 07). I paid 70 US for a new loaded (chrome wheels, nav) Z06 with 2 miles on it and with the exchange, I was in for 65 and a bit Canadian. The dealer here quoted me just over one hundred thousand..... plus tax. I would say you can save by buying in the US which is really a shame.
Nope - wrong date... LOL Meant to type 2000...

10 years of depreciation on a car that isn't driven often, and maintained well - it's hard to lose 80% of it's value and feel good about the sale. I can appreciate why someone would want more out of their sale than 20k for a 10 year old car.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I also bought my Escalade when the $ was at $1.07, was my best purchase ever! I see them for sale right now for an average price of what I bought mine for (all in) in Oct/Nov of 07!
Old 06-25-2010, 02:58 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Racer44
I also bought my Escalade when the $ was at $1.07, was my best purchase ever! I see them for sale right now for an average price of what I bought mine for (all in) in Oct/Nov of 07!
The real shame is that I can buy parts for less than my local dealers cost. Figure that one out.
GM....
If there ever was a company that robbed from Canadians, GM would be it. I have 6 GM vehicles but am not very impressed. I will keep my Corvettes as that is the only car I have driven for the last 40 years.
My wife told me I'm stupid and she is probably right. She drives a 78....
Old 06-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leafsfan2005
10 years of depreciation on a car that isn't driven often, and maintained well - it's hard to lose 80% of it's value and feel good about the sale. I can appreciate why someone would want more out of their sale than 20k for a 10 year old car.
That's true, and a very good point. I agree it's hard to fathom "giving away" a car that you paid ~$80,000 for, for a fraction of that price, but it's no different with the F-body market. Some guys are still asking upwards of ~$20k for their '02 Camaros, while they're going for less than $10k in the U.S.! So while I would like to "think" that my Camaro is still worth something, I accept that I would never get close to even half the ~$38 I paid for it new (... heh, that's what being 20 years old and horny for a car will do for you ).

BTW, I don't think I specified 6-speed COUPE or HARD TOP in my first post (no auto's, no 'verts).

It seems most of the C5's in the low price range up here are either auto, or (ironically, 'cause I thought they cost way more) convertibles!

Yes, the HST is going to mess with the used prices even more. Funny enough, right now GM is offering $12,000 "cash credit" on a brand new 'Vette ... taking that much off the base MSRP of ~$67k puts it at $55k for a brand new (base) 'Vette . That's actually not so hard to swallow, considering. It begins to put into perspective the (low) price of used C5's. Too bad I'm not prepared to pay that much for a car right now, cause a 430 HP car with 5-year powertrain warranty doesn't sound like a bad idea at all!!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:05 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Racer44
My 07 Z06 still has less than 3000 kms on it. The only reason I bought it was to shove it in the local dealers face, Wake up call... When he found out that he was over 30 grand out, he was a bit upset. I even had the transport company drop it at his dealership and picked it up from there....
The trouble is, it isn't the dealer, it's GM. They still believe they can steal from Canadians.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:47 AM
John1990
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting thread.

Back in late `07, early `08, I bought my Lexus IS 250 AWD in the states when the dollar was @ par. When all was said and done; including visits to the U.S. to look at the car and lodging and lost wages as a result of missing work, I still came out ahead; in fact saving thousands of dollars.

The way Corvette prices are these days, I don't think that it is worth it to buy down south.

At the porspect of buying my Vette, recently, naturally, I too looked south. I did not see an advantage to buyinh south of the 49th - what with lost wages for taking the time off work which I would have to add to the cost of the vehicle compared to buying the car locally; along with the other expenses.

I chose to buy locally this time. I actualy got a better deal than if I had bought stateside. Add to that the convenience of buying locally - not more than a 10 minute drive away. I lucked out.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:11 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John1990
Interesting thread.

Back in late `07, early `08, I bought my Lexus IS 250 AWD in the states when the dollar was @ par. When all was said and done; including visits to the U.S. to look at the car and lodging and lost wages as a result of missing work, I still came out ahead; in fact saving thousands of dollars.

The way Corvette prices are these days, I don't think that it is worth it to buy down south.

At the porspect of buying my Vette, recently, naturally, I too looked south. I did not see an advantage to buyinh south of the 49th - what with lost wages for taking the time off work which I would have to add to the cost of the vehicle compared to buying the car locally; along with the other expenses.

I chose to buy locally this time. I actualy got a better deal than if I had bought stateside. Add to that the convenience of buying locally - not more than a 10 minute drive away. I lucked out.

So, I paid $65,000 for a new Z06 and the dealer here wants over one hundred, plus tax. Convenience? Get real.
Might be convenient for you but not for me....
Stupid and then some.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:41 AM
John1990
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

So, I paid $65,000 for a new Z06 and the dealer here wants over one hundred, plus tax. Convenience? Get real.
Might be convenient for you but not for me....
Stupid and then some.
Yeah, I definitely see what you mean. In your case, when comparing the purchase of a nearly new vehicle in either country, there exists an advantage to buying in the states. Such was the case as well with me and my nearly new Lexus.

I should have articulated myself more clearly to say that when contemplating the purchase of a Corvette that is perhaps a few years old and older; yet not a classic and with at least a modest amount of mileage, the advantages of buying down south are nonexistent.

It is evident that it is financially lucrative to purchase nearly new Corvettes and perhaps classics south of the border.

Get notified of new replies

To Canadian vs. US used prices

Old 06-26-2010, 11:39 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John1990
Yeah, I definitely see what you mean. In your case, when comparing the purchase of a nearly new vehicle in either country, there exists an advantage to buying in the states. Such was the case as well with me and my nearly new Lexus.

I should have articulated myself more clearly to say that when contemplating the purchase of a Corvette that is perhaps a few years old and older; yet not a classic and with at least a modest amount of mileage, the advantages of buying down south are nonexistent.

It is evident that it is financially lucrative to purchase nearly new Corvettes and perhaps classics south of the border.
Didn't mean to jump on you and after re-reading my post it looks like I did. I don't think there is much advantage in buying an older Corvette in the US other than the fact that you can find virtually anything you want, in any colour. Here, you would have a hard time finding the year you want, let alone anything else.
I bought an 07 and an 08 Z06 in the US, both new, but what bothers me is the treatment that the dealers here get from GM. I bought an 08 console for my 07 from Kevin at Parts Taxi and he charged me $300 less than it costs my dealer here. I had to do the bumper mods when I imported my 07 and the front bumper foam was $287 here and $86 in the US. I ordered from the US but the real kicker is that when it got here it had a "made in Ontario" sticker on it. I showed the guy that owns the dealership the bill and he told me it was less than half his cost. He was so mad, he did both bumpers for free.
GM is still living in a dream world and as much as I hate buying in the US, it beats paying double here..

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 06-26-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Default ... change of plans ...

Since GM has pulled their proverbial head out of the sand somewhat recently, and are offering incentives/pricing that better reflects the true cost/value of a car, I decided to go for a new 2010 C6! :o

Considering the price was within just a few bucks of a new U.S. car, and only a few bucks more than a new loaded Camaro (CDN$), it almost seemed like a no-brainer. Ok, so I went a little over the $20k "budget" (oops! ), but at least the car will last me a LONG time, and now has a few years of bumper-to-bumper warranty to boot!
Old 07-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Spocc
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

us Canadians are always getting screwed...

an air filter for my Kaw 2053cc V-twin is $35 & tax in Canada...

same filter in US is $14.50 tax-in

why?

Canada population 35 Mil
US population 350,000 Mil

Quick Reply: Canadian vs. US used prices