Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Driving Z06 in winter

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 05:32 PM
red454
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Driving Z06 in winter

Hey, I am heading to speed week in Florida on Sunday. I would like to drive my 03 Z06 the whole way but my wife thinks I'm crazy. I live in a rural area, how bad will it actually be? I have no worries as I love driving in the snow but don't want to be a hazard to other driver's either. Anybody that has driven them in the snow how bad is it? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 PM
electric_yogurt
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on your tires mostly. I've driven mine on winter roads (city & highway) and had no problems - just don't gun it in first - always start off in second. The traction control & active handling really work well. I actually prefer the vette for (light) winter driving over front wheel drive cars I've had.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:47 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I know Ohio got hit hard last week, along with most of the states you'll have to drive thru to get south. If the roads are nice and dry like they are up here as of today, I'd say go for it.

But I'd check current weather conditions via the internet for each state your passing thru to be sure.

I've got a sales conference in NO next week, flying there though...may hook up with some CF members there if I get a chance.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

With the amount of massive snowstorms that have gone through the US this season, I wouldn't chance it (and this coming from a guy who drives his Corvette all year round!) Especially since you probably have summer rubber on there. My car is tricky enough even with all season tires, I'd hate to try it with summers.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I've driven my '05 Vert every winter for the past 6 years, and my '07 Z06, the past two winters, when ever I get the chance! ... on my '05 C6 Vert I have high performance winter tires, on my '07 Z06, I have PS2 ZP tires.

With the winter tires, you have supple / grippy tires from the start, even in very cold temps.

The PS2 ZP's have good grip, after they warm up ... so if you are running a high performance summer tire, with good tread depth, monitor your tire temps ... as long as the tire is cold, then keep in mind that you have very limited grip. To increase your breaking distance, and try not to make really tight turns.

Throttle control is very important, very light, smooth inputs.

On clear roads ... leave the TC and AH on ... on snow covered roads ... I always turn off the TC and leave the AH on ... your smooth throttle control will give you better handling.

Get out and drive your car over the next few days ... find a parking lot, and do some exercises to experience how the car handles in the cold.

Try some emergency stops, and practice steering as the ABS kicks in.

Try some power slides, they're fun, and you'll find out how to steer the car in an out of control state.

Don't forget, GM tested the Vette (at least the C6, and I'm assuming the C5) in cold climates, and in snow conditions ... the car performs really well in the snow ... it's just that the driver needs to adjust!

Have fun down in Florida! Hopefully you'll have some nice weather when you hit North Carolina ... I love driving to Sebring in March, it's like getting a taste of summer!

Mark

p.s. - I agree with Pat ... if a heavy weather system is moving through the area, then find some place to pull over, and enjoy a nice long sleep in a hotel. I normally monitor http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/71265.html ... and plot out my route, and check the weather stations to make sure I'll get a nice two day window to get down there.

Last edited by CDN_Wolf_eh; 02-09-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

you'll be fine! put the hammer down and go for it!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:15 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

if you get caught in a bad storm you will wish you had not taken your vette.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Overdrive
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends which route you take. You wouldn't want to go the PA route with the tunnels. Just gotta figure if it's worth the chance of 12-14 hrs of snow just to have the Vette there. You also have to do it on the way back. You could rent a Vette while you're down there if they're available that way.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Right now the weather forcast looks pretty tame ... Toronto (Chance of Rain -1C) ... Buffalo (Chance of Snow -4C) ... Erie (Chance of Snow -3C) ... Pittsburgh (Chance of Rain -2C) ... Morgantown (Partly Cloudy -3C) ... Charlotte (Clear and Sunny 1C) ... that would be day 1 for me
Old 02-09-2011, 07:04 PM
red454
Advanced

I have the stock Good Year Eagle F1's on the car, they do have ample tread. I realize if I get caught in a storm it will be no fun but was looking for if the car will actually maintain forward movement in over a dusting of snow.

It will be hard to test the car before hand as our highway is closed as it has been for 8-10 days this year already. Highway 21 at it's finest!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Sandpiper59
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just screw some machines screws into the tread on the back tires and stop in at your local SkiDoo dealer and get some skis for the fronts!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I drove my C6 four Winters but I would not risk a long trip such as yours because if you get caught in a snow storm you will not be a happy camper. If it were April I would have said to go for it!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Sandpiper59
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the real side
I love working on cars, have for 30 years, never dawned on me until I started wrenching this 24 year old girl I bought what a difference no salt makes! Even the flipping exhaust bolts came out, nothing was rusty or frozen underneath.

Your trip would be short in relative terms, but when you sell it will you tell the potential buyer "never winter driven"?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:08 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Ignore the ninnies and nancies,just drive the thing,likely your first twenty miles will be the toughest.As for resale value,really?Like a one time winter trip will hurt anything as long as you keep it out of the ditch.Time to man up and enjoy your trip to the 500,if I could,I would throw a change of clothes in my 74 and leave for Florida tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:11 AM
Overdrive
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you have the flexibility to wait out a storm if need be then why not. I would personally take the coastal route on I95 with a Vette to avoid the mountains in VA (not PA as I said earlier).

I used to take my Z28 down to Myrtle Bch for Easter weekend and it took 16hrs to get there using I95 route (no snow though in Apr), 1.5 days driving, 3 days on the beach.

Last edited by Overdrive; 02-10-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 PM
red454
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sandpiper59
On the real side
Your trip would be short in relative terms, but when you sell it will you tell the potential buyer "never winter driven"?
That matter's to me about as much as telling them "never driven hard". I've seen ragged out vehicles that haven't even seen rain and excellent one's that are daily driver's. I little soap and water goes a long way.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:08 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I know your area and if Highway 21 is open then you're good to go. It can only get better once you get off that highway and on your way South.

Peter

Get notified of new replies

To Driving Z06 in winter

Old 02-12-2011, 06:18 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandpiper59
On the real side
I love working on cars, have for 30 years, never dawned on me until I started wrenching this 24 year old girl I bought what a difference no salt makes! Even the flipping exhaust bolts came out, nothing was rusty or frozen underneath.

In a sense it really does not pay to save it for the next guy because i doubt it will make a real difference in terms of resale. the book values are the book values and while a very well cared for car may be worth a small premium to a few the dealers and wholesaler don't give a rats a>>
Old 02-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Zedder
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

I got caught in a dusting of snow on the way home from the dealer in my '03 Z06 - not more than an inch total. The ride was deadly!!! Anyone who has driven on those Goodyears on any sort of snow will tell you to forget it...

Originally Posted by red454
I have the stock Good Year Eagle F1's on the car, they do have ample tread. I realize if I get caught in a storm it will be no fun but was looking for if the car will actually maintain forward movement in over a dusting of snow.

It will be hard to test the car before hand as our highway is closed as it has been for 8-10 days this year already. Highway 21 at it's finest!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:15 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Highway 21 finally opened this afternoon so you'd better make a break for it tomorrow and not expect to come home for about a month...

Quick Reply: Driving Z06 in winter