Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Ontario Election Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:38 AM
McFence
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ontario Election Thoughts

Dalton has a commercial out where he claims that education is the key to economic development - and that is why they have created all day kindergarten.

Awesome - in 12 to 14 years when these children are now old enough to start their working lives and begin to contribute to our provincial economy I am convinced that their extra time spent perfecting their colouring skills will make a dramatic difference. What about our economy today???

Then he makes a statement implying that govertment programs are the reason class sizes are down to 23 students - sure that makes it better for teachers to help individuals develop - but it's not gov't programs, it's because our demographics are changing and there are less kids to go to school. In the Durham Region over the last 3 or 4 years several schools have been closed due to population!! and those students are bussed to other schools.

I love it when politicians take random stats and spin them to make it look like it was their idea!!

There is a commercial out about Hudak where it's noted in 1994 while being an assistant to someone he voted against nursing jobs. How could he vote if he was not a politician?? If he was just an assistant to someone then how could he vote on any legislation?? I also bet that if you dug deep enough you would find he stole some gum back when he was a kid in the 70's. I guess that means if we elect him he will likely close all the prisions and simply ask all the criminals to promise to be better people.

Then there is the "Vote No to Kids" commercials. What the hell are they about?? Does anyone know?? I have no clue what their point is, if it's actually about the election or if it's in support of one party vrs any other. I'm sorry - but if the commercial is so vauge (I assume the reason is to develop curiosity so we will go online and research what the topic is all about) then I don't care!!

If you can't be bothered to inform me about either what you are trying to sell me or the point you are trying to make then I can't be bothered to research if it's something I need or care about. Believe me this - our lives are already overfilled with stuff we neither need or opinions we should have - I don't need the next best thing to start as a mystery. Tell me straight so i can decide if it matters.

Will any politician ever just explain their platform or are we just missing it thanks to the media only airing sound bites of them degrading the other guy or running commercials where they degrade the other guy. I am not going to vote for someone or against someone else because some obviously irrelevent information has been spun to make a person look bad!!

My opinion - Dalton twice campaigned stating "no new taxes" then proceeded to increase user fees and create new taxes. And most important there has been a rash or back room deals kept out of the eye of the public because according to Dalton and his advisors our province needed the programs - also there is no law in ontario like in British Columbia where the people can sue the gov't and force them to change some legislation or program the premier decides was important.

Dalton has been in power just long enough to begin to believe his answers are the best for the province and he has the back room ability to just make his plans law regardless if we want them or not - it's better for us in the end right??? Sorry dude - that's just wrong!!!

I will never vote NDP because I believe in making my own way in life and I do not want a socalist gov't to provide for me or tell me how to live, I do not trust Dalton due to his recent series of back room deals and trying to push his own agenda through regardless if the people want it or have any other ideas!! and I do not know Hudak or anything about him as a person or a leader!!

I am lost this time!!

Dave
Old 09-09-2011, 09:07 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by McFence
Dalton has a commercial out where he claims that education is the key to economic development - and that is why they have created all day kindergarten.

Awesome - in 12 to 14 years when these children are now old enough to start their working lives and begin to contribute to our provincial economy I am convinced that their extra time spent perfecting their colouring skills will make a dramatic difference. What about our economy today???

Then he makes a statement implying that govertment programs are the reason class sizes are down to 23 students - sure that makes it better for teachers to help individuals develop - but it's not gov't programs, it's because our demographics are changing and there are less kids to go to school. In the Durham Region over the last 3 or 4 years several schools have been closed due to population!! and those students are bussed to other schools.

I love it when politicians take random stats and spin them to make it look like it was their idea!!

There is a commercial out about Hudak where it's noted in 1994 while being an assistant to someone he voted against nursing jobs. How could he vote if he was not a politician?? If he was just an assistant to someone then how could he vote on any legislation?? I also bet that if you dug deep enough you would find he stole some gum back when he was a kid in the 70's. I guess that means if we elect him he will likely close all the prisions and simply ask all the criminals to promise to be better people.

Then there is the "Vote No to Kids" commercials. What the hell are they about?? Does anyone know?? I have no clue what their point is, if it's actually about the election or if it's in support of one party vrs any other. I'm sorry - but if the commercial is so vauge (I assume the reason is to develop curiosity so we will go online and research what the topic is all about) then I don't care!!

If you can't be bothered to inform me about either what you are trying to sell me or the point you are trying to make then I can't be bothered to research if it's something I need or care about. Believe me this - our lives are already overfilled with stuff we neither need or opinions we should have - I don't need the next best thing to start as a mystery. Tell me straight so i can decide if it matters.

Will any politician ever just explain their platform or are we just missing it thanks to the media only airing sound bites of them degrading the other guy or running commercials where they degrade the other guy? I am not going to vote for someone or against someone else because some obviously irrelevent information has been spun to make a person look bad!!

My opinion - Dalton twice campaigned stating "no new taxes" then proceeded to increase user fees and create new taxes. And most important there has been a rash or back room deals kept out of the eye of the public because according to Dalton and his advisors our province needed the programs - also there is no law in ontario like in British Columbia where the people can sue the gov't and force them to change some legislation or program the premier decides was important.

Dalton has been in power just long enough to begin to believe his answers are the best for the province and he has the back room ability to just make his plans law regardless if we want them or not - it's better for us in the end right??? Sorry dude - that's just wrong!!!

I will never vote NDP because I believe in making my own way in life and I do not want a socalist gov't to provide for me or tell me how to live, I do not trust Dalton due to his recent series of back room deals and trying to push his own agenda through regardless if the people want it or have any other ideas!! and I do not know Hudak or anything about him as a person or a leader!!

I am lost this time!!

Dave

Total agreement on all points Dave. The NDP is not an option leaving Hudak as the only alternate but he has done a terrible job campaigning. He does not convey any charisma, motivating or inspiring thoughts however and the PC's are still in my very BAD books for how Harris' government screwed Ontarians by selling the 407. In my bad books that lies right next to the chapter on Dalton's part in the G20 fiasco and enacting those Draconian policing laws that steamrolled over the rights of decent law-abiding activists, many of whom are now rightfully suing the gov but costing taxpayers even more.

Sigh... At least Dalton's team recognize how much the voters HATE the attack ads, but so far, that's all I've seen from Hudak. He really needs to step up his message or we'll all have to fall back on reelecting Dalton for yet another mind-numbing term, which given the continuing global economic and other uncertainties makes a status quo option seem a little more compelling.

I think a lot of us are going to need some help in deciding this next election and a good honest discourse will be valued

Last edited by PaulUptime; 09-09-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Overdrive
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody good to vote for as per usual. So again we vote for the one we view as being the least worst for our future.

Harris sold the 407 which means he's not getting voted back in but that doesn't tar the PC's forever. McGuinty did the G20 which means he's the bad guy, not necessarily the Liberals. I agree with the point on the NDP though.

How about a Corvette political party? More emphasis on roads and transportation. More emphasis on getting kids into the trades (someone has to do it in 15 yrs when all the old guys have retired), tax credits for small business that supports apprenticeships. K-8 switches to emphasizing the 3 R's and personal relationships, they can learn about the world in high school.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:46 PM
CDN/AZ LT4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on guys...this is so Off Topic. Let's discuss Corvettes or other great cars. You're opening the barn door on a heated political debate that just plain belongs in Off Topic. And I love discussing politics, but not here. Peter
Old 09-09-2011, 05:16 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

this is definitely OT.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I remember & lived through the Mike Harris years (cutbacks/layoffs/services)as many of you here have.MH is admittitly Hudak's model,so I'll have to vote for the lesser of 2 evils I guess.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Lets put it all in better perspective for you....

Liberals, royally screwed us, will do so again.
PC royally screwed us, will do so again.
NDP not bright enough and will screw us as a result Unwittingly.

End result...were screwed no matter what we do. Politicians will tell us what we want to hear, use tax payers money to buy votes when it's convenient for them and rasie taxes to help fund their stupidity at having no skills in money management.

So at the end of the day, put the names in a hat and draw one LOL...
Old 09-11-2011, 05:20 AM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

**tax credits for small business that hire immigrants....c'mon what about our children born here in Canada, where's the level playing field, he just lost my vote!....... and Harris sold the 407 which means he's not getting voted back in, but he did rebuild Hwy's 11 & 69 to the north country, pretty nice Corvette cruising roads.

Last edited by vt65; 09-11-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:35 AM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CDN/AZ LT4
Come on guys...this is so Off Topic. Let's discuss Corvettes or other great cars. You're opening the barn door on a heated political debate that just plain belongs in Off Topic. And I love discussing politics, but not here. Peter
CDN/AZ LT4 (Peter) I don't agree, the OP labeled this thread Ontario Election Thoughts, no need to open it if you don't want to add anything constructive. He is asking for thoughts not inviting discussion or debate imo, bwtfdik? Venting is healthy and as Canadians that's about all we ever do.... Just sayin' is all....Rob

Last edited by vt65; 09-11-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ontario Election Thoughts

Quick Reply: Ontario Election Thoughts