Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Okanagan road trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:02 AM
MOSPORT1
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Okanagan road trip

Well looks like I a missed a great cruise this weekend. But I just got back from a good one out west. Flew into Kelowna and stayed with friends in
Penticton. Weather wasn't perfect but still managed to have an awesome time. We toured a lot of wineries and sampled some great wine. Since my friend is a helicopter pilot and he can't drink while on call, he was our DD. Worked out great.

Our friends took us up in their helicopter,, (a first for us). So cool.
Took us out to some little town in the middle of nowhere (Quilchena)
to have lunch.
I never realised that there was so much desert in BC.
On the way back he flew us through this tight little valley,,, awesome to say the least. Then Patti and I took off to see the sights,, drove up around Okanagan Lake through Vernon, Salmon Arm and on up to Revelstoke to spend the night. Second day we just plotted a route and found some awesome twisty roads along Arrow Lake. Hwy 23 through
Nakusp. Across the lake by ferry at Farquier then Hwy 6 through the metropolis of Lumby and back down to Kelowna.
Never saw a car for miles,, just too bad I didn't have my car,,, but good thing I didn't, got up behind some logging trucks and some nasty mud flying off them. Other than that,,, a great trip,,, the Okanagan area is over the top and will be back.

We took the iPad,, what a great little toy for navigating,,,

pix here

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...02fe41c&type=1

Old 10-11-2011, 11:16 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

,the snowmobiling is second to none there,,,
Old 10-11-2011, 11:49 AM
MOSPORT1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
,the snowmobiling is second to none there,,,
always the wise guy!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:03 PM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice eh! You drove right past me in Sicamous I do set my suspension's a little more aggressive for increased cornering activity
Old 10-11-2011, 02:09 PM
MOSPORT1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CTD
Nice eh! You drove right past me in Sicamous I do set my suspension's a little more aggressive for increased cornering activity
Ah no way,, you live there? Wish I,d have known. We had no idea where we were going, just picked different roads and said let's go.
You must love house boating?
Old 10-11-2011, 03:32 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MOSPORT1
always the wise guy!!!
not really,you were off road quite a bit,albeit in the air,,,
Old 10-11-2011, 05:20 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Great video and pictures Steve, I'm sure allot of time went into putting that together. Very nice. Wish I had your baller lifestyle

About the desert thing, that can't be indigenous to BC, surely it must have something to do with de-forestration, no?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:53 PM
MOSPORT1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
Great video and pictures Steve, I'm sure allot of time went into putting that together. Very nice. Wish I had your baller lifestyle

About the desert thing, that can't be indigenous to BC, surely it must have something to do with de-forestration, no?
Didn't take much planning at all,,, really didn't know what we were going to do when we got there,, just took it one day at a time,,,
got the iPad out with google maps and picked a road,,,,

yes that is desert believe it or not,,, the whole Soyoos area is desert all the way down through the US.

will be going back when the weather is warmer,,,,
Old 10-11-2011, 06:40 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL

always been a desert,,,nothing to do with logging,,,

The Rocky Mountains, the Coast Mountains and other ranges, running north to south, posed major engineering problems for the builders of the transcontinental railways and highways. Canada's highest peaks, however, are not in the Rockies, but in the St. Elias Mountains, an extension of the Cordillera stretching north into the Yukon and Alaska. The highest point in Canada, mount Logan (6050 m), rises amid a huge icefield in the southwest corner of Yukon, the largest icecap south of the Arctic Circle.
The British Columbia interior varies from alpine snowfields to deep valleys where desert-like conditions prevail. On the leeward side of the mountains, for example, a rain-shadow effect is created, forcing Okanagan Valley farmers to irrigate their orchards and vineyards.

Last edited by NOCRISIS; 10-11-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:46 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 661 Likes on 443 Posts

Beautiful part of the world - thanks for posting Steve...

I think it's cool how choppers still have to use the runway to take off even though they don't touch it....makes total sense of course..
Old 10-11-2011, 06:47 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
always been a desert,,,nothing to do with logging,,,
So I discovered, once I googled and researched it.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:58 PM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Now that had too be an awesome trip ! Been out there a number of times , but never in a chopper Steve , how about we do a cruise out there
Old 10-11-2011, 07:07 PM
roysvette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great way to travel eh Steve? Awesome shots. Thanx Roy.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Steve,thanx for the trip down memory lane.Wish I had a dollar for every nap of the earth flight "that I've been in.Might have enough for a new Z06.

Last edited by Airwilf; 10-11-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:26 PM
CTD
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MOSPORT1
Ah no way,, you live there? Wish I,d have known. We had no idea where we were going, just picked different roads and said let's go.
You must love house boating?
You picked some very nice off the beaten path routes, you can probably imagine that run south of Revy to wards the Ferry in the Vette & very little Buford T Justice Nakusp & area....like turning the pages back a little. Should you have headed east at Nakusp then you really start going back into the way back machine. The Kootenay area is full of Draft Dodgers & old dope smoking hippes....kinda fun!

I'm not a big House Boater, I do have a Cabin Boat access only about 20 minutes from Sicamous.The lake is very big, fresh & warm in the summer, a houseboat is a little to slow for me. Awesome if you just want to enjoy the lake, the province did a very good job of provincial parks on the lake mixed with Cabin owners & several small towns...nice. You can beach your houseboat for the evening @ many of the provencial parks then head out the next morning or not.

Several big dog boats on lake as well, I believe 174 mph was the king pin this year.

Anyways thankyou for visitng & posting, if you are out & about again we will have to try & hook up!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:48 PM
MOSPORT1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CTD
You picked some very nice off the beaten path routes, you can probably imagine that run south of Revy to wards the Ferry in the Vette & very little Buford T Justice Nakusp & area....like turning the pages back a little. Should you have headed east at Nakusp then you really start going back into the way back machine. The Kootenay area is full of Draft Dodgers & old dope smoking hippes....kinda fun!

I'm not a big House Boater, I do have a Cabin Boat access only about 20 minutes from Sicamous.The lake is very big, fresh & warm in the summer, a houseboat is a little to slow for me. Awesome if you just want to enjoy the lake, the province did a very good job of provincial parks on the lake mixed with Cabin owners & several small towns...nice. You can beach your houseboat for the evening @ many of the provencial parks then head out the next morning or not.

Several big dog boats on lake as well, I believe 174 mph was the king pin this year.

Anyways thankyou for visitng & posting, if you are out & about again we will have to try & hook up!
ya will be back when the weather is better,,, I'd love to see of the big boats,, I was thinking how cool it would be to run those lakes and have the sound echoing off the mountains..

and the run by Naksup would be so nice in the sun,,,
friend of mine sent me a video made by ZR motors in Calgary,,was watching that and saw they did a run up through there and took the ferry across with all the exotics,,, looked awesome.

Too bad Hertz doesn't rent any fun cars out that way,,,,
Old 10-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Ogopogo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you enjoyed our part of the country. You actually flew right over our house in Peachland when you flew back to Okanagan Lake. The "Ogopogo" comes from the name of the legendary lake monster which lives in Okanagan Lake. We see his tracks often !!!!!!!!!!

The desert in B.C. is the most northern extension of the Sonoran Desert which starts down in Mexico.

Get notified of new replies

To Okanagan road trip

Old 10-17-2011, 07:32 AM
MOSPORT1
Melting Slicks

Drove through Peachland a few times,,,, nice area,,,,
Guess I should have made a post prior to leaving so I could have hooked up with everyone out there,,,next time........
Old 10-17-2011, 09:04 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Spent a lot of time in this are during the 70's. Naksup is a very cool place and their annual festival is fantastic with lots of great music and they always give some of the local bands stage time. One of these falls we'll head back there for a tour and visit some old friends and relatives.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Shark007
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just moved to Vernon 7 weeks ago. (from Northern Ontario)

I've been out cruising around near daily. Not a day passes where the scenery here just has my jaw dropping, litterally. And the roads... no such thing as a distracted driver, their life would be short. I went for a drive up to the Silver Star Ski Resort today. Wasnt there very long, had to go back home and get my camera... again!

Quick Reply: Okanagan road trip