Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Anyone here with a C6 ZO6 please read...!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:14 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Anyone here with a C6 ZO6 please read...!

I want you to take a look at the dropped valve threads... If you know anyone who has owned a C6 ZO6 and has had a valve drop in their motor please PM me with your details... Also people who had your valve guides checked and found excess wear please contact me... We are in the works of putting together data to see if there really is a real problem with our valve train geometry or materials... Thanks

Damien...
Old 07-27-2012, 08:36 AM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Now we have a 2011 ZO6 Carbon that has gone down... This is a spin rod bearing but still another failed LS7 with 9500kms... This is horrible...
Old 07-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

PM sent.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Sherminator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nothing wrong with LS7 engines. We've driven and raced both stock and highly modified Z06's with not one single valve train failure. We've modified over 100 C6 Z06's since 2006, some using stock valve train parts and some using aftermarket dual valve springs and camshaft.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:58 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sherminator
There is nothing wrong with LS7 engines. We've driven and raced both stock and highly modified Z06's with not one single valve train failure. We've modified over 100 C6 Z06's since 2006, some using stock valve train parts and some using aftermarket dual valve springs and camshaft.
I know about 6 guys with Z06's of various years.......... all are on their 2nd motor, myself included. Granted some were oiling issues, but others are valve train related.
I dont think any of us would agree with your initial statement.

maybe you cowboys dont run them very hard.......

Cheers
Old 07-27-2012, 04:28 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 66L72
I know about 6 guys with Z06's of various years.......... all are on their 2nd motor, myself included. Granted some were oiling issues, but others are valve train related.
I dont think any of us would agree with your initial statement.

Cheers
Old 07-27-2012, 11:49 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sherminator
Think you better go over to the ZO6 section and take a look... The count so far is 146 I believe that have failed on this forum alone and many more that haven't been reported... Stock and modded... I man on here by the name QuickSilver06 has the master list and has been working on it for years... We've got engineers going over valve train parts... Anyone has a failed motor or had one failed please post your details... Create a thread.... Trust me no one will flame you... We are all working together now to find out the cause...

Last edited by LS7 BUD; 07-27-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:35 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry but I have to chime in since this is getting ridiculous. You cannot count a modified motor in the same group as a stock motor when you're discussing grenaded motors! If you took away all the modified motors (which is probably more than half of the 146) you'd be well under 100 motors in total. But then we'll assume there could be alot of people not on the forum or who won't mention what happened to their stock motor....so lets now bring that number back up to your 146 stock motors that have grenaded (and we're not subracting anyone who grenaded a stock motor running it on the track!). Nor have we categorized them by oiling issues vs valve train vs spun bearings.

From 2006-2009 there were 27,338 Z06's built. So from that you have approximately 146 motors failed? That works out to just over .5 % of the total cars built. Wow GM better start recalling all the LS7's....there's a serious problem here......give me a freakin break!
There were more flying roofs in 2005 than grenaded LS7 motors in total!

Oh and for the record, I'm a member of the 'modified grenaded LS7 club'....and who do I blame....ME....no one else.....not the guy who sold me the cam, not the guy who installed it, not the guy who tuned the car and not the guy who built the motor..just ME...I chose to modify my car, rolled the dice and lost.

There is nothing wrong with the LS7 motors...other than there are stupid expensive to replace if you blow it up and don't have warranty!!!!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:15 AM
LedfootLarry
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BDRSK
Sorry but I have to chime in since this is getting ridiculous. You cannot count a modified motor in the same group as a stock motor when you're discussing grenaded motors! If you took away all the modified motors (which is probably more than half of the 146) you'd be well under 100 motors in total. But then we'll assume there could be alot of people not on the forum or who won't mention what happened to their stock motor....so lets now bring that number back up to your 146 stock motors that have grenaded (and we're not subracting anyone who grenaded a stock motor running it on the track!). Nor have we categorized them by oiling issues vs valve train vs spun bearings.

From 2006-2009 there were 27,338 Z06's built. So from that you have approximately 146 motors failed? That works out to just over .5 % of the total cars built. Wow GM better start recalling all the LS7's....there's a serious problem here......give me a freakin break!
There were more flying roofs in 2005 than grenaded LS7 motors in total!
Oh and for the record, I'm a member of the 'modified grenaded LS7 club'....and who do I blame....ME....no one else.....not the guy who sold me the cam, not the guy who installed it, not the guy who tuned the car and not the guy who built the motor..just ME...I chose to modify my car, rolled the dice and lost.

There is nothing wrong with the LS7 motors...other than there are stupid expensive to replace if you blow it up and don't have warranty!!!!
Have to agree with you, very small percentage, but still a very reliable engine, like all ls engines
Old 07-28-2012, 08:29 AM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry
Have to agree with you, very small percentage, but still a very reliable engine, like all ls engines
Do you guys read the ZO6 section at all??? I get PM's everyday from STOCK Zo6 owners giving me there details about how their motors have popped... The list just keeps getting bigger... Believe what you want... I've put up with a lot of **** but no one is gonna stop me from getting people to realize... Just go over to the Zo6 section and post what you say here... You'll get called crazy... Flame me all you want I'm used to it... We have engineers testing components now...
Old 07-28-2012, 08:52 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS7 BUD
Do you guys read the ZO6 section at all??? I get PM's everyday from STOCK Zo6 owners giving me there details about how their motors have popped... The list just keeps getting bigger... Believe what you want... I've put up with a lot of **** but no one is gonna stop me from getting people to realize... Just go over to the Zo6 section and post what you say here... You'll get called crazy... Flame me all you want I'm used to it... We have engineers testing components now...
Getting people to realize what?

I read the threads over there....alot of chicken littles saying the sky is falling!

You aren't even at 1% of Z06's sold from 2006-2009 that are having an issue....and from that number...how many stock motors were NOT on a track at the time? Seriously, put some real world concrete numbers together before posting that it's a serious issue. And what documentation do you have that these people posting and pm'ing are even telling the truth? Nothing...all you have are about a dozen guys trying to create an issue when you have no concrete numbers. Go do some research on how many LS1's, LS2's, LS3's and LS6's that this happened to for comparison.

Put it together and come back with some documentation to back up what your're saying before saying it's a 'real issue' with nothing to support it!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:56 AM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Getting people to realize what?

I read the threads over there....alot of chicken littles saying the sky is falling!

You aren't even at 1% of Z06's sold from 2006-2009 that are having an issue....and from that number...how many stock motors were NOT on a track at the time? Seriously, put some real world concrete numbers together before posting that it's a serious issue. And what documentation do you have that these people posting and pm'ing are even telling the truth? Nothing...all you have are about a dozen guys trying to create an issue when you have no concrete numbers. Go do some research on how many LS1's, LS2's, LS3's and LS6's that this happened to for comparison.

Put it together and come back with some documentation to back up what your're saying before saying it's a 'real issue' with nothing to support it!

That's exactly what I'm doing and others as well... We are gathering more info day by day... It's not gonna happen right away but the numbers are growing...
Old 07-28-2012, 09:30 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS7 BUD
That's exactly what I'm doing and others as well... We are gathering more info day by day... It's not gonna happen right away but the numbers are growing...
And that's fine. But the fear mongering that there's a 'real issue' before all the facts have been gathered is getting real tiresome, especially over in the Z06 section...
Old 07-28-2012, 10:35 AM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

And that's fine. But the fear mongering that there's a 'real issue' before all the facts have been gathered is getting real tiresome, especially over in the Z06 section...
I understand what you saying... I'm not here to cause panic for the guys with C6 ZO6's I'm just trying to get people aware... This problem doesn't effect every C6 ZO6... I would suggest anyone outta warranty to have their valve guides checked tho... It's a difference between $2k or $13k for repair... If you find a problem...
Old 07-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

I will chime in quickly and say, I've read a lot of the LS7 threads, and it would SEEM that there may be a legitimate (un-explained) issue with valve guides in quite a few motors out there. I wouldn't jump on-board the bandwagon so much, but I believe it was Katech? who have even confirmed/verified a bunch of problems.

..... anyway, I can say that my car used an excessive amount of oil ... not just in my opinion, but in comparison to other LS7's.

And mine was bone stock ... no engine mods.

And that's all I have to say .

Despite all that, I still think the LS7 is a phenomenal motor!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:12 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

GM changed the valves in 2009. It is a different part number now than from 2006-2008. The majority of cars with problems are 2006-2008 that were driven very hard.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 PM
RWspinning
Instructor

Pete, did yr car have its engine replaced due to the high consumption of oil?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone here with a C6 ZO6 please read...!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Cornutodeuce
Instructor

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a better guage to determine the ratio of failures to total engines built, is How many cars are tracked and as a result have had engine failures.
That would result in a more accurate representation, as to the issue(s) and probably result in a higher ratio than .5%.
Turn 4 at Mosport from what I've heard is an issue, re oiling....

Bob please send my a PM with your email address.

Last edited by Cornutodeuce; 07-31-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:47 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

there is some dude that seem to like it, OMG MY LS7 will commit suicide. Sell this freaking car before the head start pourring valves!!! im so sick of this sh*t, its like back in early 2000 everybody kept saying, b18c5 is a time bomb(integra type-r) and so the ej25 (wrx sti) and the list goes on. but all those motor one thing in common, they were all modded and beat to sh*t by jack as**
I almost forgot, it was always report by someone who knows someone who had this issue

Last edited by timmyZ06; 08-02-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:37 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
there is some dude that seem to like it, OMG MY LS7 will commit suicide. Sell this freaking car before the head start pourring valves!!! im so sick of this sh*t, its like back in early 2000 everybody kept saying, b18c5 is a time bomb(integra type-r) and so the ej25 (wrx sti) and the list goes on. but all those motor one thing in common, they were all modded and beat to sh*t by jack as**
I almost forgot, it was always report by someone who knows someone who had this issue
There is a guy on the C6 Z06 forum who lost an engine. It had 24,000 miles of track time alone, plus street driving and he fully admits that he did no maintenance except for an oil change once a year. He also said most of his shifts were at the 7000 rpm rev light. It finally blew up and now Bud thinks the sky is falling....

Quick Reply: Anyone here with a C6 ZO6 please read...!