Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Has aftermarket exhaust gotten you pulled over?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 PM
getfunky
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has aftermarket exhaust gotten you pulled over?

I just saw this article where Quebec police issue ticket for aftermarket exhaust. I've also read on the Ontario Highway Traffic Act forum about how cops can give tickets for loud noice they feel is distracting to others. So my questions to those with after-market exhausts, did you ever get in trouble with the police and if so, what exhaust did you have?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 PM
3Xvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by getfunky
I just saw this article where Quebec police issue ticket for aftermarket exhaust. I've also read on the Ontario Highway Traffic Act forum about how cops can give tickets for loud noice they feel is distracting to others. So my questions to those with after-market exhausts, did you ever get in trouble with the police and if so, what exhaust did you have?
All after market exhaust are illegal and it is the discretion of the officer if he wants to give you a ticket. So if he is having a bad day look out.

They will give you a ticket for improper exhaust. I wonder how I know lol.
I have B&B Bullets.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

what about all those really loud Harleys?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 PM
3Xvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is best not to even bring that up at the time you get pulled over, because if you do that's when they want to tow your vehicle away. Make sure you save all those questions at Court if you want to fight it.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by 3Xvette
It is best not to even bring that up at the time you get pulled over, because if you do that's when they want to tow your vehicle away
Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 PM
OBSESHON Mark
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Never in the Vette with my Corsa's. But a few times on my Harleys.
No tickets just lots of questions and warnings.
Once in Lake George NY, Twice in Myrtle Beach and once in Terra-Cotta.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by OBSESHON Mark
Never in the Vette with my Corsa's. But a few times on my Harleys.
No tickets just lots of questions and warnings.
Once in Lake George NY, Twice in Myrtle Beach and once in Terra-Cotta.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last summer my car was cited for improper exhaust as I had no cats. $400. There was earthly reason to pull the car over as it isn't loud at all. Oh yeah it was OPP that pulled the car over.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by kidneyboy
Last summer my car was cited for improper exhaust as I had no cats. $400. There was earthly reason to pull the car over as it isn't loud at all. Oh yeah it was OPP that pulled the car over.
Crap........
Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

I didn't know that OPP officers were trained to do vehicle mechanical inspections and what right do they have to just stop you randomly on the street to do one unless something is blatantly wrong with your vehicle?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 PM
The Cripp
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I'd like to know why the kops don't stop/cite more of these guys.

There's a guy who lives in my building that must have open pipes on his Harley.

The windows rattle everytime he rides by at just off-idle throttle.

...just a bit "annoying".
Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Polar Jet
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A few years ago in my Camaro I got ticketed for "excessive noise". It had TPIS long tube headers with an SLP Loudmouth cat-back. I took it to court and argued that I was driving the car at 2pm on a Saturday in an industrial area with nobody around. Who am I disturbing? I said I never drive the car in residential neighnourhoods late at night or early in the mornings which was true. It worked. They let me go.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:51 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

That's why i bought a 74...the last year with no cats.
Down the road I want side pipes.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Cdn UFO
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

DON'T PANIC as long as there has been cars there has and will be loud exhaust. If you get pulled over just be polite to the guy and explain you do car shows, and that's why the loud pipes, if he's going to give you a ticket go to court and explain the car show defense, you may get off. If you where driving like a mad man take the ticket you deserve it.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:08 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

We have to remember that louder does not necessarily mean faster.
Exhaust technologies have evolved to deliver choices that provide better performance without noise or emissions compromises.

Nobody with an exhaust that screams look at me should be surprised when it's the cops doing the looking.
If that's what you want, be prepared for the inevitable inconvenience and expenses. Nothing new to this, but I do wish Harley enforcement was stepped up. To me, that's just pure noise and when it happens - the comments I hear are usually like "now THAT's obnoxious!"

As with other owners of older cars, I'm fortunate to be able to skate around the late-model rules, but I still have additional resonators and decent mufflers in my 3" duals w/headers setup.

Personally, I LOVE the sound of a tuned exhaust (Corrado's, for example.) Sure it can be loud when your foot's to the floor but it doesn't need to rattle windows and **** off people for blocks around when you're just cruising. Be a good citizen!

Last edited by PaulUptime; 06-27-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:14 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I always reduce the revs around the cops....it's bad enough the colour screams look at me
Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

The exhaust generally wont get you stopped but your driving habits will!!

Get notified of new replies

To Has aftermarket exhaust gotten you pulled over?

Old 06-27-2013, 01:57 PM
getfunky
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

didn't know they were all illegal. I have corsa sport cat back and luckily haven't had an issue over last two years (knock on wood). Below is the exhaust law for canada

75. (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:56 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by getfunky
didn't know they were all illegal. I have corsa sport cat back and luckily haven't had an issue over last two years (knock on wood). Below is the exhaust law for canada

75. (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle.

They are not illegal and u will never get a noise ticket if u arent being an idiot.....

Heard many stories on here about guys getting tickets but the whole show off story is never told!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 03:22 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I didn't know that OPP officers were trained to do vehicle mechanical inspections and what right do they have to just stop you randomly on the street to do one unless something is blatantly wrong with your vehicle?
Evidently if you decline to allow them to look they can call the Ministry of the Environment to test car right away and then who knows what the outcome may be? The guy who stopped my car, I wasn't even in it at the time valerie was driving, he made a u-turn to pull her over while at a stop at a red light..said he smelled the exhaust. ( I call B.S.) Because the car is "modified" apparently they can do this. Like I said a $400 fine and an order to repair. So I bought a Magnaflow stainless system with high flow cats at the headers straight out; installed at Champion.

Quick Reply: Has aftermarket exhaust gotten you pulled over?