Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Corvettes at Carlisle 2015 was PERFECT - Paul and Jennie's Excellent adventure

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 10:22 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Default Corvettes at Carlisle 2015 was PERFECT - Paul and Jennie's Excellent adventure

Can't believe it's already been a week since Carlisle. Just going over my vids and photos now and thinking this might have been the most perfect Carlisle ever!

Corvettes at Carlisle 2015 had PERFECT WEATHER, was a close 2nd in record attendance and definitely one of the most special for Jennie and I, including that my '65 enjoyed the honor and prime parking chosen among 20 truly great 65's in the 50th Anniversary display.

THE CARS - THE PEOPLE
Our 12th consecutive year there together it's crazy how many friends we've made at the show. The widest diversity imaginable but all quality people - strangers we've come to know at a great and personal level. Being greeted with genuine smiles and hugs from other participants to the organizers and so many vendors, C@C has become more of a reunion for us than a car show!

Again the cars were fantastic. Every year brings more and more varieties to the current 63 years and 7 generations of Corvette. There were over 5000 cars combined either displayed and in the Funfield but you'd be hard pressed to find two exactly the same. Each represents a mutually embellished experience between the vehicle and the owner. Listening and sharing those experiences is a real treat. Most everyone has their Corvette story!

I'm talking with Will Cooksey during his "No Time To Cry" seminar and see Jennie and co-founder Bill Miller buzz by in his cart as they toured the fairgrounds together! A quick wave "Hi Bill, bye Jennie" and they were off! He's such a warm, fantastic guy who has accomplished much with Carlisle Events, done some really great things and still there's much more coming!

Getting there EARLY
We've always wanted to be there for the Thursday (Thur/Fri are the biggest/best days) but for us it seemed repairs, work or other stuff always got in the way. This time we left Tuesday, later than intended but we got in about 1:30am. Fortunately the camp allows a late check-in and the cabin was a quick easy to get set up in.

Found our best place/way to stay in Carlisle
Lots of complaints about cost and quality of local Motel stays and extending this year to 7 nights we found PERFECT ACCOMMODATIONS for us. For about half the years we've been going, we camped at Western Village RV park, a pretty and short drive less than 10 mins from the fairgrounds, close to downtown, shopping, food and beverages. This year we chose to stay in one of the park's basic yet clean cabins which comes at just $55/night ($65 on weekend) turned out to be a great, affordable option.

WEDNESDAY
Rising slowly Wednesday morning we did a great shop the Outlet Mall at Hershey, right next to Hershey Park. I love this place, but many shops are closing - going to web only. Retail is dying! Still - I did a major blitz - found everything easily and in my size at prices up to 80% off. Even with exchange, this was a major score. I've got new clothes for the year!

Returning to the cabin to lock up our purchases, we rolled over to the the fairgrounds Wednesday evening to check on the vendor setups and catch some of that action.

Adams Car Polishes was one of our first stops and with their stuff now set up Adam himself offers me anything I need - full access, help yourself - plus help and instruction to get my dirty, old, well traveled car in condition for being in the Anniversary showcase tomorrow.

Too tired from the drive, late arrival, and just wanting to now relax - I did the best I could that evening but just wasn't into it. I love Adam's products and enjoy detailing but there are those times you just, well don't want to and the results usually show that, too. Adam let us pack up all the cords, polishers, pads and products we wanted and leave. Jennie texted our buddy Bill Miller to ask if it would be OK and if so where we might set up later that night or early. We needed power, lighting and a place to work!

THURSDAY - SHOWTIME!
With our polishing gear and plans in order we set the alarm for 4AM! and drove into the Fairgrounds and began detailing in the pavilion space Bill suggested - then spent the next four hours sanding, polishing the car out.

I did a lot of dry sanding (which scared the hell out of Jennie ) but I had the opportunity to work with the Cyclo and Rupes polishers and combined with Adam's Paint Correcting/Finish polishes and his advice on technique we really knocked it out. Even though it was quite early, many people came by and the results were really satisfying!

We finished the final stages in the 50th Anniversary tent then went off to use the Fairground showers and have breakfast. What a way to start a day/show!

GETTING THERE
...as they say, is half the fun. We ran with the top (and often my foot) down the whole way - not a single issue. Lots of back roads and fun stops - from this first dinner stop at this old restaurant as old and established as Corvette itself!

Pok-A-Dot Restaurant 229 Ellicott St, Batavia, NY 14020. We ordered their signature dish - a 'Beef on weck' (or wick) which was perfect as I'd been craving a hot beef sandwich. What a cool little place! We'll be back!

FOOD and DRINK!
In Carlisle, most nights we were out with friends and at parties, but in between we hit the Mexican restaurant near the gate for great, fast and yummy Chile Rellenos and ordered way too much more for takeout. Part of the great thing about camping is we had a perfect picnic table setting to enjoy our meals with the worry-free option to enjoy all the beverages we wanted - not going anywhere except maybe for a park walk to visit with neighbours - most doing the same and there with their Corvettes ... plus Class A RVs hauling top dollar Vettes in fully equipped trailers, all down to earth folks who love their toys!

Years ago we found a great Wine/Beer store closeby with a great selection of wines, tequilas and more - all for mostly half the price we'd pay here. Yee haw!

Sunday we picked up a bag of a dozen decent-sized, fresh steamed Maryland Blue Crabs at Nell's - for $17! Back at the camp, we got into a fun, messy crab-eatin' experience!

Craving more seafood we went to another great and new to us restaurant on Monday - Dockside *******. 20 minutes from Carlisle, in Wormleysburg (on the Susquehanna River and right across from the state capital Harrisburg.

I always prefer parking where I can keep an eye on the car, and the rest of the view from our table was spectacular. Felt like we were in south Florida!

Food? Wow! Jennie had a wicked burger and I a crabcake sandwich both of which were absolutely out of the park home runs.

I've got tons more vids and pictures and stories but I think I've run this post up enough for this morning.

If you are interested to see more pics,
there are - 985 Pictures - at this link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carlis...98698628/page1
Old 09-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,515 Likes on 823 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

thanks for sharing!
Old 09-05-2015, 11:18 AM
harrin
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like you guys had a fantastic trip.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:05 PM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

thanks for sharing.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:24 PM
The Cripp
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankieD
thanks for sharing.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:57 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 446 Posts

Now that's what you call a post!

Saw Paul's car at the show - never looked better
Old 09-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Awesome.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:37 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks guys for all the positive comments.
Y'all make sharing the good times worthwhile!
Old 09-06-2015, 06:16 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

It sure looks like you guys had a blast. I was at Carlisle in 2013. It undoubtedly has to be the mecca for the corvette enthusiast. Congrats on your 65 model anniversary and thanks for the pictures.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Paul and Jennie what a great photographic journey. I really enjoyed your thread, incredible story.

Thanks so much for sharing the adventure.

Murray
Old 09-06-2015, 12:54 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Most excellent post Paul, loved the pics, felt like we were there. If Anne's health is better we will likely head down next year. Spend a few weeks cruising the Appalachians.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:48 PM
testing35
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like good times, good times.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:09 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Awesome pics!!!! Hopefully see you Sept 19th!!
Old 09-07-2015, 03:50 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

great account of your trip Paul, the car looks better than ever, didn't make the trip this year but sure enjoyed seeing your pics ...

Last edited by vt65; 09-07-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:36 PM
daytona yellow
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you sharing the awesome pics...missed Carlisle this year but will be there next. Cheers!!!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:49 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,547 Likes on 3,619 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks for sharing, looked at all the pictures, not bad picture in the bunch.
What a great trip, and you made up my mind, next year I'll be there, have good winter.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:01 AM
squalo3
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience and ALL the 985+ photos.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:06 AM
08C6
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Very cool journey ... nice pics - nice car !!! was at the show also yes very nice sunny days... lots to see and lots to do ... awesome show ...

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes at Carlisle 2015 was PERFECT - Paul and Jennie's Excellent adventure