Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Glass Polish/Cerium Oxide in GTA

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:46 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Default Glass Polish/Cerium Oxide in GTA

Anyone know where I can pick up a fine abrasive glass polish or cerium oxide? At the last stage of a glass related project and need a good polish to finish the job. Anyone know where I can get either in the GTA?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-16-2016, 07:01 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

try these guys

Spectrum Abrasives Limited
3687 Nashua Drive
Mississauga, Ontario
L4V 1V5 Canada

Tel: 905.678.1060
Fax: 905.678.1216
Old 04-16-2016, 09:26 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
try these guys

Spectrum Abrasives Limited
3687 Nashua Drive
Mississauga, Ontario
L4V 1V5 Canada

Tel: 905.678.1060
Fax: 905.678.1216
Funny, was actually going to go there this morning for some sand blasting media but they're not open Saturdays. Just M-F 8:30-5.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:29 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Thanks!

I am literally 1 km from there as I type this but closed...ARGH!
Old 04-16-2016, 12:02 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Faraz,
I have a busy week ahead but need that media for some paint prep projects next weekend. Can't remember if I've told you but I'm at RoyYk and LkShr, so not far away. Maybe we'll coordinate a pickup/meetup next week. I might even be able to go in there on Monday.
-Paul
Old 04-17-2016, 03:28 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the offer Paul but no worries I have to be back in the area on Monday anyways. I was able to find a headlight finishing kit at Lowe's and decided to try it out. Sanded out a pitted fog light and the kit had everything I needed to do a decent job. I still want to get the cerium oxide as I understand it's a better polish. Here are the results...

<br >

<br >

Pics don't give a true before and after, especially the before..these looked like crap.

BTW if you want me to pick up something for you on Monday PM me.

Thanks,
Faraz
Old 04-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Is this a product that will enhance front windshields from age & pitting? I'm not looking to create a perfect windshield ,just bring back some clarity,especially when driving into the sun.
Is it applicable by hand polishing or is a random orbital polisher & pad recommended? This is a new product to me.
Thanks crew.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:29 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Airwilf
Is this a product that will enhance front windshields from age & pitting? I'm not looking to create a perfect windshield ,just bring back some clarity,especially when driving into the sun.
Is it applicable by hand polishing or is a random orbital polisher & pad recommended? This is a new product to me.
Thanks crew.
I think it could be used and I may decide to try it on a portion of my windshield with an orbital polisher. It seems to be a messy job from the searches I have been doing. In the headlight kit I found it had a polish in it and I used that on the fog light pics above. However, I did start sanding it with 60 grit because of the deep pits and worked my way up to 2000 grit before using the polish. This was the first time I tried anything like this and I think it came out pretty good. Damn light is spherical so definitely a tough one to start with.

Anyways, I would suggest a good glass polish on a polisher but then again if Spectrum has cerium oxide I am gonna try that too. Will post back w my results - wish me luck.

To answer your question you create a slurry (roughly 50/50 water/cerium oxide) and use it at the polishing stage. I am not gonna take sandpaper (just not that brave but here is a cool video - too bad it doesn't say what he used after the sanding) to my windshield but suspect either a glass polish or the mixed slurry will do a good enough job to clear up swirl marks or deposits.

No close ups so not sure how it ended up looking.

Here's the kit I found...the pads were optimal as they conformed to the spherical surface of the light. Sanding discs in a Dremmel were too rigid and we're completely useless (in fact damaging because of the shape of the light).

https://www.lowes.ca/grinding-polish...Term=headlight

Last edited by raztek; 04-18-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:36 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by raztek
I think it could be used and I may decide to try it on a portion of my windshield with an orbital polisher. It seems to be a messy job from the searches I have been doing. In the headlight kit I found it had a polish in it and I used that on the fog light pics above. However, I did start sanding it with 60 grit because of the deep pits and worked my way up to 2000 grit before using the polish. This was the first time I tried anything like this and I think it came out pretty good. Damn light is spherical so definitely a tough one to start with.

Anyways, I would suggest a good glass polish on a polisher but then again if Spectrum has cerium oxide I am gonna try that too. Will post back w my results - wish me luck.

To answer your question you create a slurry (roughly 50/50 water/cerium oxide) and use it at the polishing stage. I am not gonna take sandpaper (just not that brave but here is a cool video - too bad it doesn't say what he used after the sanding) to my windshield but suspect either a glass polish or the mixed slurry will do a good enough job to clear up swirl marks or deposits.

https://youtu.be/o2J-Ofuyfbs

No close ups so not sure how it ended up looking.

Here's the kit I found...the pads were optimal as they conformed to the spherical surface of the light. Sanding discs in a Dremmel were too rigid and we're completely useless (in fact damaging because of the shape of the light).

https://www.lowes.ca/grinding-polish...Term=headlight

looks good, let me do your windshield first tho, not an experiment, only because you posted for the rest of us.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:28 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Probably not effective for removing swirl and other marks, but i also saw steel wool Grade 0000, is good for cleaning up windshields.

Get notified of new replies

To Glass Polish/Cerium Oxide in GTA

Quick Reply: Glass Polish/Cerium Oxide in GTA