Active Handling Solution

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 08:31 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

Default Active Handling Solution

The C6 has an active handling issue as many of you know. GM did a recall a couple of years ago, and the fix was to wrap the steering wheel position sensor connector with a tie wrap.

My car had this recall done and has been OK, but lately it started to throw the code again. I kept ignoring the message and a couple of weeks ago, my car's EBCM intervened while I was driving (lucky i was going slow). It was not fun...

I did some research and discovered GM has come up with a better solution which involves the installation of a clip which tightens up the connection.

The attached thread contains a link (on Post No. 7) which will take you to a site that includes the part number (it costs less than $3) and how to install it.

My car has been good since installing this clip - an easy fix. Get this done for your C6 - don't ignore the service active handling messages.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lem-fixed.html

Last edited by VETFEVER; 08-21-2016 at 03:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VETFEVER:
corrado (08-21-2016), NOCRISIS (08-24-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 07:33 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

my car has the telescopic steering and memory seats - for good measure I programmed it so that the steering doesn't move (adjust) every time and I get in and out which helps to minimize strain on the clip
Old 08-21-2016, 10:36 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My car has been having the Traction (Service active handling/Service anti-lock brakes/service traction control warning the past 2 weeks.

I did the orange clip fix, it's easy and cheap to do, but it's not the issue on my car. Light came back a few times. Resets when car is turned off, but will come back on. Took it in, was throwing 2 codes for one of my wheel speed sensors. Sensor was loose on the mount, but not frayed. Tested ok and light hasn't come back yet, but it still might. Keeping an eye on it.

This is NOT an issue to be ignored, the ABS does kick in, mine only does it while at slow speeds, but in some cases it has gone on people on the highway.

Some of the known cause for this are:
-Orange clip solution (easiest and cheapest one to do)
-ABS control module
-loose spark plug wire (yes it IS true, so check those)
-wheel speed sensors/wires/connections
-TPMS (they don't last forever)
-low brake fluid

These are the issues I have researched about and the likely ones to check for. Hopefully your issue is resolved Jack, wish mine was that too. Hopefully mine is solved but time will tell.

Last edited by corrado; 08-21-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:50 AM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Is this issue is on the C6 thrue 2013 or does GM install that clip before the end of the generation. I have a 2012 and if this clip is not there, I will order it as a insurance policy.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:15 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

You are correct Mr C. The connector/clip solution should be only the first thing that is ruled out because it is a known issue complete with recall. So for $3 and a few minutes install, this is the first thing to do if you're getting the AH errors.

Boss - I don't know how far along the AH issue went with the C6. Given that your car is newer, the clip might be there, or maybe they even re-designed the connector to resolve it - i don't know, but it's worth spending a little time to sort out your own personal car.

As Corrado said, you don't want the EBCM intervening while you drive.

Jack

Originally Posted by corrado
My car has been having the Traction (Service active handling/Service anti-lock brakes/service traction control warning the past 2 weeks.

I did the orange clip fix, it's easy and cheap to do, but it's not the issue on my car. Light came back a few times. Resets when car is turned off, but will come back on. Took it in, was throwing 2 codes for one of my wheel speed sensors. Sensor was loose on the mount, but not frayed. Tested ok and light hasn't come back yet, but it still might. Keeping an eye on it.

This is NOT an issue to be ignored, the ABS does kick in, mine only does it while at slow speeds, but in some cases it has gone on people on the highway.

Some of the known cause for this are:
-Orange clip solution (easiest and cheapest one to do)
-ABS control module
-loose spark plug wire (yes it IS true, so check those)
-wheel speed sensors/wires/connections
-TPMS (they don't last forever)
-low brake fluid

These are the issues I have researched about and the likely ones to check for. Hopefully your issue is resolved Jack, wish mine was that too. Hopefully mine is solved but time will tell.

Last edited by VETFEVER; 08-21-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

I've been having this issue for a coupe of years, but restarting the car always makes it go away. but I've gotten into the habit now of turning the traction control and the active handling off. So far, no more issues.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:06 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
I've been having this issue for a coupe of years, but restarting the car always makes it go away. but I've gotten into the habit now of turning the traction control and the active handling off. So far, no more issues.
I was doing exactly the same thing - yes it resets every time you re-start the car, but over time the error messages would re-appear almost instantly right after resetting - and then finally the computer intervened on me. I was going slow, so it was no big deal, but when your car starts applying the brakes on and off on its own, and the throttle doesn't respond and you can't steer - that's scary....

Last edited by VETFEVER; 08-21-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:57 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
I was thinking that would eliminate it from happeneing, but mine came on even after turning all the nannies completely off (button held for 10 secs).

Has yet to come on since checked the wheel speed sensor and I went for a good rip yesterday so hoping its solved now.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Sustain26
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys/Gals,
Montreal C5Z owner, looking to trade in for an '08 C6Z. Any good advice? GM dealer talks about a 8 year, 140k km warranty - worth it?
Old 09-15-2016, 09:43 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Ever since WN changed the crank sensor for me, I haven't had the AH issue pop up.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:23 PM
Sustain26
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bit of misleading advertising; it's only 3 months/5000 km, not sure if roadside assistance. Going tomorrow to see the Z. BTW: has anybody received a recall notice for the fuel pump? This is a current recall, AFAIK.

Originally Posted by raztek
If its a GM warranty I assume it would expire from the date the vehicle was put on the road...so if it was on the road in 2008, it would expire this year. If this is the case, you may have a few month's of coverage left. I dont know the reliability of 08Z's so worth posting in the c6z forum for inputs there.

If its a warranty they are offering from 2016 onwards (ie expires in 2024) i would be VERY wary of it as I doubt it would be provided by GM, but another provider.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:01 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Sustain26
A bit of misleading advertising; it's only 3 months/5000 km, not sure if roadside assistance. Going tomorrow to see the Z. BTW: has anybody received a recall notice for the fuel pump? This is a current recall, AFAIK.
why are you hi jacking this thread, what has this to do with the ops topic ?

Get notified of new replies

To Active Handling Solution

Quick Reply: Active Handling Solution