Anyone know a pool guy...Scarborough area

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 07:52 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Default Anyone know a pool guy...Scarborough area

Thought I would ask...

My pool pump is fried and I need to get a new one installed. Would do it myself but no time. Will need an electrical hook up as I feel for the variable speed energy savings (supposed to pay for itself in 2 seasons). It needs to be hard wired vs a plug in.

Thanks for any referrals.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:39 PM
infernobuster
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave @ Season Ready Pools.

Good guy, was at my place today opening up my pool.

905 409 1446
Old 06-01-2017, 09:06 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Sami Siddiqui

Last edited by walleyejack; 06-01-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:09 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by infernobuster
Dave @ Season Ready Pools.

Good guy, was at my place today opening up my pool.

905 409 1446
Thanks will give him a ring.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Bob Holinski
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

If the pool pump is dead you will need a new one but if it's just making a lot of noise it could be the bearings are going bad. Had this happen to my pool pump in Tucson and was able to get new bearing installed for a less then $200. Much cheaper than a new one motor. Good luck with the change and enjoy the pool when it's back in operation.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:09 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Holinski
If the pool pump is dead you will need a new one but if it's just making a lot of noise it could be the bearings are going bad. Had this happen to my pool pump in Tucson and was able to get new bearing installed for a less then $200. Much cheaper than a new one motor. Good luck with the change and enjoy the pool when it's back in operation.
Nope it's fried. Could not free it and get it to spin. Bought a variable speed Hayward which with the energy savings pays for itself in 3 years. Installing it tomorrow. With all the work done over the past 5 yrs, the only thing not original is the frame itself lol. Should be good for the next 10-15 years! Fingers crossed...

Last edited by raztek; 06-03-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:39 PM
infernobuster
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did Dave help you out?
Old 06-04-2017, 07:42 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by infernobuster
Did Dave help you out?
He referred me to his electrician who came by this morning and hooked it up. Thanks for the referral.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:10 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

A timer on the pump will save more than variable speed. We found that about 7-8 hours a day is more than enough running time on the pump. Slowing down a pump hurts the mechanical efficiency of the water pump. So, as an example, you might be able to slow it down so you only pay 1/2 the electricity costs. But the pump might only be moving 1/4 of the water.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:52 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
A timer on the pump will save more than variable speed. We found that about 7-8 hours a day is more than enough running time on the pump. Slowing down a pump hurts the mechanical efficiency of the water pump. So, as an example, you might be able to slow it down so you only pay 1/2 the electricity costs. But the pump might only be moving 1/4 of the water.
Agreed, however I have been running nonstop as my pool is viewed more as a hot tub than anything else by my swimmers lol. I try to keep a constant flow of water through the heater to keep the temp from spiking up and down each day (along with the gas bill ). Will see how it goes and figure out how best to manage the speeds throughout the day. Will try take advantage of the cheaper rates at night and run it full blast and then the sun during the day to heat the pool and run the pump at a reduced speed - or not! Did the timer thing already...dual timers in fact one for the heater and another for the pump - still had problems.

Toronto Hydro is offering a significant rebate on variable speed and I took advantage of it. For the net nominal extra, I liked the built in timer, ability to control speed at any point of the day and with constant circulation through the heater, avoidance of superheating the heater connections when the pump would go off. Just a preference...will see how it goes.

As with most things, its an equation of options, compromises and cost...

Last edited by raztek; 06-05-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know a pool guy...Scarborough area

Quick Reply: Anyone know a pool guy...Scarborough area