Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Where to buy Range AFM Disabler in GTA

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:18 PM
i3kc
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Where to buy Range AFM Disabler in GTA

I'm looking to purchase a Range AFM Disabler. I can order direct from Range, but they want $28 USD to ship to Canada. They do not have any authorised retailers in Canada. I've located one online shop in Canada that carries the device and price is decent at $250 CAD, but they can only confirm they have the "latest" firmware. I need it to be firmware 8.6. I don't want to take a chance ordering it and it not turn out to be firmware 8.6. Thus, I am looking for a shop in the GTA where I can go in and inspect the device in person (Look for confirmation of firmware). Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:45 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

is your car an Auto ?
is the only reason i think one would need it. but not totally sure. It stops from dropping cyls from what i know, but that only happens with the auto.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:33 AM
i3kc
Instructor

Originally Posted by walleyejack
is your car an Auto ?
is the only reason i think one would need it. but not totally sure. It stops from dropping cyls from what i know, but that only happens with the auto.
Yeah, I have an A8. I don't really mind the idea of the car going into V4, but in moderate traffic, I can hear the AFM belt running as it prepares to step into V8. The noise from the belt drives does bother me and dealer said there's nothing they can do about it. So my thoughts are that with the Range, if vehicle stays in V8, the belt noise should be eliminated. Loss of fuel economy is not an issue for me. I normally drive it 20 km a day and only 3-4 days a week.

I'm going to call Range when they open to confirm the $28 shipping cost. If the $28 is for taxes and duties, then I'm good with that. If I still need to pay taxes and duties across the border, then it's a deal breaker for me.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:27 AM
dkw
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by i3kc
Yeah, I have an A8. I don't really mind the idea of the car going into V4, but in moderate traffic, I can hear the AFM belt running as it prepares to step into V8. The noise from the belt drives does bother me and dealer said there's nothing they can do about it. So my thoughts are that with the Range, if vehicle stays in V8, the belt noise should be eliminated. Loss of fuel economy is not an issue for me. I normally drive it 20 km a day and only 3-4 days a week.

I'm going to call Range when they open to confirm the $28 shipping cost. If the $28 is for taxes and duties, then I'm good with that. If I still need to pay taxes and duties across the border, then it's a deal breaker for me.
Did you/would you consider having them ship it to CBI in Niagara Falls, NY (or one of the others) ? Might they offer free shipping within the US ?
CBI is just a stones throw across the border, short spin from TO.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:32 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dkw
Did you/would you consider having them ship it to CBI in Niagara Falls, NY (or one of the others) ? Might they offer free shipping within the US ?
good call. my friend is going to pick up a wack of parts next week, he could snag it for you and bring it back.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:35 AM
i3kc
Instructor

Originally Posted by dkw
Yeah, I thought about it. But it would cost me a $40-$50 in gas for a return trip. If I were something larger and shipping costing over $100, then for sure. The Range AFM disabler is at worst $28 shipping to my door.

Shipping anything to Canada is so expensive. I think US retailers mark up excessively because they don't want to bother with us Canadians. Volume is probably too small for them to care.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:37 AM
i3kc
Instructor

Originally Posted by walleyejack
good call. my friend is going to pick up a wack of parts next week, he could snag it for you and bring it back.
When you pick up stuff from Buffalo, do you declare the goods at the border and pay full taxes and duties?
Old 03-23-2018, 08:07 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by i3kc
When you pick up stuff from Buffalo, do you declare the goods at the border and pay full taxes and duties?
13% tax is due.
but there is no brokerage fees or duty due.

No duty is payable on goods imported for personal use, if it is marked as "made in Canada, the USA, or Mexico", or if there is no marking or labelling indicating that it was made somewhere other than Canada, the USA, or Mexico.

Last edited by walleyejack; 03-23-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:04 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Another option, check the for sale section. It may be used but you'll get cheap shipping and pay no tax.

Last edited by Maxpowers; 03-25-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:53 PM
i3kc
Instructor

I didn't get a chance to call Range last week. But I spoke to someone who imported a unit from them directly, whom advised that the $28 "shipping" includes taxes to get the unit across the border. The total was just under $300 CAD. The online retailler confirmed their stock is version 8.3 which is no good to me. I've seen them used for around $200 CAD on Kijiji, but none are version 8.6 (released Nov/Dec 2017 I believe). Anything less than 8.6 would cost me postage to send back to Range and postage to send back to me for a firmware update.

I'll call them in Monday if I get a chance, but I'm leaning towards direct purchase.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to buy Range AFM Disabler in GTA

Quick Reply: Where to buy Range AFM Disabler in GTA