Dead Battery - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Dead Battery

Old 12-06-2018, 10:43 PM
  #1  
Cdn UFO
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Cdn UFO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: Etobicoke Ontario
Posts: 2,412
Thanked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Default Dead Battery

What do you do if you are not able to use a trickle charger. I am on # 4 all warranty from CTC. What battery do you use for your c6 mine is Motomaster Eliminator
Cdn UFO is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 PM
  #2  
BLUE1972
CF Senior Member
 
BLUE1972's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: FARMINGDALE N..Y.
Posts: 1,805
Thanked 211 Times in 188 Posts
Default

start the car every 2 weeks and run it for 15 to 20 minutes.
BLUE1972 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 PM
  #3  
Brian71
CF Senior Member
 
Brian71's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2015
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 558
Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Default

I remove the battery which is an AC Delco. I've had no issues when I install the battery in the spring. All I have to do is re-index the windows.
Brian71 is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:17 AM
  #4  
walleyejack
CF Senior Member
 
walleyejack's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,587
Thanked 315 Times in 280 Posts
Default

i leave the Ac Delco battery in all my cars and put the battery tender on, never any issues.
Ctc battery is your first problem Randy. pay a little more and get a quality battery.
walleyejack is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:38 AM
  #5  
1500cc
CF Senior Member
 
1500cc's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

AC Delco, bought it about 5 years ago. My mechanic said there are two tiers of AC Delco batteries, and it's worth it to pay a bit more for the better ones. I do keep mine on a battery tender if I'm not driving it frequently, and it still seems to be going strong 5 years later.
1500cc is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:40 AM
  #6  
wadenelson
CF Senior Member
 
wadenelson's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Posts: 149
Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BLUE1972 View Post
start the car every 2 weeks and run it for 15 to 20 minutes.
If by "run it" you mean take it out for a 20 mile romp, yes.

If by "run it" you mean let it idle for 20 minutes in the garage, no. Most alternators barely put out enough juice at idle not to further discharge the battery.
wadenelson is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:45 AM
  #7  
wadenelson
CF Senior Member
 
wadenelson's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Posts: 149
Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cdn UFO View Post
What do you do if you are not able to use a trickle charger.
I'm not sure why you can't use a trickle charger. No electrical outlet? Buy a solar charger from Harbor Freight. Hang it out the window or garage door. They're great and won't overcharge a battery.

Or just take the battery out of the vehicle and put it in the house. Either trickle charge or regular recharge 2x per winter. My motorcycle battery is sitting in the corner right now getting the treatment.

I'm not aware of any technical reasons why a car battery can't be trickled charged in situ. (alarm, LoJack, etc.) It's no different than the alternator charging the battery. Battery doesn't know where the electrons are coming from.
wadenelson is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 11:09 AM
  #8  
VETFEVER
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
VETFEVER's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Feverish All Over
Posts: 9,122
Thanked 138 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cdn UFO View Post
What do you do if you are not able to use a trickle charger. I am on # 4 all warranty from CTC. What battery do you use for your c6 mine is Motomaster Eliminator

Pull the battery and put it somewhere where you can trickle charge it.
VETFEVER is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 01:47 PM
  #9  
BLUE1972
CF Senior Member
 
BLUE1972's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: FARMINGDALE N..Y.
Posts: 1,805
Thanked 211 Times in 188 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post
I'm not sure why you can't use a trickle charger. No electrical outlet? Buy a solar charger from Harbor Freight. Hang it out the window or garage door. They're great and won't overcharge a battery.

Or just take the battery out of the vehicle and put it in the house. Either trickle charge or regular recharge 2x per winter. My motorcycle battery is sitting in the corner right now getting the treatment.

I'm not aware of any technical reasons why a car battery can't be trickled charged in situ. (alarm, LoJack, etc.) It's no different than the alternator charging the battery. Battery doesn't know where the electrons are coming from.
I did the solar charger - they only last about 2 years and then . discharged my battery. So if you go that route keep an eye on it.

BLUE1972 is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 02:00 PM
  #10  
Zeeman28a
CF Senior Member
 
Zeeman28a's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Richmond Hill Ontario
Posts: 10,661
Thanked 131 Times in 88 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post
I'm not sure why you can't use a trickle charger. No electrical outlet? Buy a solar charger from Harbor Freight. Hang it out the window or garage door. They're great and won't overcharge a battery.

Or just take the battery out of the vehicle and put it in the house. Either trickle charge or regular recharge 2x per winter. My motorcycle battery is sitting in the corner right now getting the treatment.

I'm not aware of any technical reasons why a car battery can't be trickled charged in situ. (alarm, LoJack, etc.) It's no different than the alternator charging the battery. Battery doesn't know where the electrons are coming from.
Parking garages do not provide electrical power to parking spots. Not in office towers and certainly not in condominiums. Removing the battery and doing the trickle charge thing in your condo would be the only option if you have the space Randy. Otherwise, start it up and take it for a drive every other weekend. But don't let it sit too long as the parasitic drain will discharge the battery over a few weeks.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 12-07-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Zeeman28a is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 02:09 PM
  #11  
The boss
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
The boss's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Location: Montreal Quebec
Posts: 504
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Make sure it's full charge before storage then disconect it.
The boss is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 03:23 PM
  #12  
Dodosmike
CF Senior Member
 
Dodosmike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2008
Location: Powassan ON
Posts: 4,987
Thanked 58 Times in 53 Posts
Default

I have five batteries that I rotate among season equipment, vette, camper, lawn tractor and two snowmobiles.

i removed from the particular vehicle when fully charged. Store on a wood shelf in my shop and don't touch them again until a couple weeks before I use them.

Now with that said the vehicles don't have an internal computer that requires the battery.
I have a few brands of batteries, Delco, interstate, moto master, and whatever brand are in the sleds, some Chinese brand likely. Been storing them and not using them for months on end like this for years, never an issue. Just don't let a discharged battery freeze.
Dodosmike is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 04:18 PM
  #13  
walleyejack
CF Senior Member
 
walleyejack's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,587
Thanked 315 Times in 280 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dodosmike View Post
I have five batteries that I rotate among season equipment, vette, camper, lawn tractor and two snowmobiles.

i removed from the particular vehicle when fully charged. Store on a wood shelf in my shop and don't touch them again until a couple weeks before I use them.

Now with that said the vehicles don't have an internal computer that requires the battery.
I have a few brands of batteries, Delco, interstate, moto master, and whatever brand are in the sleds, some Chinese brand likely. Been storing them and not using them for months on end like this for years, never an issue. Just don't let a discharged battery freeze.
or let it sit flatter than.. on a plate for a long time. it aint coming back.
walleyejack is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 06:17 PM
  #14  
Black 03 Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Black 03 Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Location: Algonquin Highlands Ontario
Posts: 5,467
Thanked 283 Times in 253 Posts
Default

I know it is a pain Randy but your only solution if you have no AC power handy is to take the battery out charge and leave it somewhere cool.
Black 03 Z06 is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 11:25 PM
  #15  
Brian71
CF Senior Member
 
Brian71's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2015
Location: Toronto Ontario
Posts: 558
Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Default

I forgot to add when I remove the battery I just leave it in the basement. I don't use a trickle charger.
Brian71 is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 01:08 AM
  #16  
dankhts
CF Senior Member
 
dankhts's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: Stoney Creek Ontario
Posts: 4,115
Thanked 45 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Walleye Jack came over to my house in Tony Cheap, removed my battery for me, took it home to store and trickle charge for me over the winter....said he'll bring it back and re-install it come spring time.... I'm sure he'll do the same for you if you ask him nicely like I did....

Last edited by dankhts; 12-08-2018 at 01:09 AM.
dankhts is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dankhts For This Useful Post:
walleyejack (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 09:51 AM
  #17  
Black 03 Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Black 03 Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Location: Algonquin Highlands Ontario
Posts: 5,467
Thanked 283 Times in 253 Posts
Default

Wonder if that is the same battery I just bought from Al yesterday. Said it was nearly new.
Black 03 Z06 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black 03 Z06 For This Useful Post:
dankhts (12-08-2018), walleyejack (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 12:37 PM
  #18  
corrado
CF Senior Member
 
corrado's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Bradford, Ontario
Posts: 5,568
Thanked 62 Times in 46 Posts
Default

You are not Alone Mr Randy. My car has been killing battery's been going thru 1 about every year and a half as well. On my 3rd Delco under same 30 month warranty.
LOTS of parasitic drains on the C6 so better to remove if you won't drive it at all. I have been just removing it and keeping in my basement, charging once a week or so. Supposedly not good if the Keyfob is near as may be trying to search for it.
Recently read one issue could be the Onstar trying to draw power. I don't subscribe to mine so I will pull that fuse next season, can't hurt.
corrado is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 05:55 PM
  #19  
Cdn UFO
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Cdn UFO's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: Etobicoke Ontario
Posts: 2,412
Thanked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Cool thanks all I am going to try Sean ( I ate a viper) Idea. I bought a battery disconnect switch and installed it, just have to tighten it and should be good to go.
Cdn UFO is offline  
Old 12-08-2018, 09:21 PM
  #20  
Mad*Max
CF Senior Member
 
Mad*Max's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 13,631
Thanked 106 Times in 102 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by corrado View Post
You are not Alone Mr Randy. My car has been killing battery's been going thru 1 about every year and a half as well. On my 3rd Delco under same 30 month warranty.
LOTS of parasitic drains on the C6 so better to remove if you won't drive it at all. I have been just removing it and keeping in my basement, charging once a week or so. Supposedly not good if the Keyfob is near as may be trying to search for it.
Recently read one issue could be the Onstar trying to draw power. I don't subscribe to mine so I will pull that fuse next season, can't hurt.
Wow, that sounds excessive...even though my car won't go past 10 days without a battery tender, I have been getting about five years from my batteries for the C6. I have been buying AC Delco replacements.
Mad*Max is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: