Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

New Product Tests (Wheel Cleaner and QD)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default New Product Tests (Wheel Cleaner and QD)

I do not move to far from Griots Wheel Cleaner, but recently ran out and failed to order another gallon. Since I was itching to try a new QD I decided to order them both at the same time from www.premiumautocare.com since it is in Florida and usually next day delivery is normal. Thus detailing on Thursday evening versus Wednesday as normal.

Poorboys Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner:

This wheel cleaner requires you to only pre-rinse the wheels with water and make sure they are not hot. You spray on liberally and move to the next. After completing all the wheels, you are only to go back and rinse them with a steady stream of water. (YEAH RIGHT) It supposedly carries no lye or acid (like most store bought wheel cleaners) but is citrus based.

I was pleased that it pretty much did what it offered. The areas of most concern were the lugnut holes and the inner barrels. Both looked extremely well , after use , without any agitation and cleaned up easily without need for other brushes. (Now in all fairness, I have ceramic brake pads and Baer Rotors, so brake dust is miminal, but road dirt, dust and debris are still present) . I believe it was on for no more than 2 minutes so all in all this might be a nice product for ones wheels. I will watch carefully to see if buildup, etching or other issues abound with further use. I will also try on the wifes car as her wheels seem plenty dirty after the weeks use.

Menzerna Detailing Spritz:

While this QD is acrylic based, I decided to use it over Zaino Z2Pro sealant as the label offers additional protection for either type(poly or acrylic), and Menzerna's sealant FMJ is also poly based. It has a very powerful chemical smell, with a familar scent ?? It went on quickly and without issue and immediately added a slicker feeling to the previous sealant. (By the time you rewiped the same area you noticed a slippery feeling and could feel where it ended) Gloss factor is very similar to some of the better sealant QD'ers like Z6, Sonus and UPP. So far I am impressed with the look and more importantly the feel of this product. I love the super slippery feeling and can only wonder what their sealant offers.

sorry it was getting dark when I took the pic, and I need to reset or turnoff the date.

Last edited by Killrwheels; 02-03-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Funny you posted about FMJ. Just today I got two of there products and all I can say is that I'm glad I didn't have a candle burning close by when I opened them. I can't believe how strong the chemical smell was. Smelled like kerosene to me. The spray was a little weaker smell but still kerosene. Maybe the spray is just a diluted form of the sealant. I can't believe that they are VOC complient as stated on their website. Haven't tried either product yet though.

Last edited by Crusher; 02-03-2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Crusher
Funny you posted about FMJ. Just today I got two of there products and all I can say is that I'm glad I didn't have a candle burning close by when I opened them. I can't believe how strong the chemical smell was. Smelled like kerosene to me. The spray was a little weaker smell but still kerosene. Maybe the spray is just a diluted form of the sealant. I can't believe that they are VOC complient as stated on their website. Haven't tried either product yet though.
I have not tried FMJ .... but I really want too, would you like to trade a sample for something else youv'e wanted to try ?? Dont remember the smell being kerosene but then again dont ever use it anyways. I think it might smell like Klasse AIO ....

I doubt they are similar to one another since their makeup is so different. FMJ (poly sealant) and Spritz being (acrylic sealant)
Old 02-03-2005, 08:23 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

I really like the appearance that Z2 Pro gives that silver. It's very clean and pure.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Well another weekend rolls by and got a chance to try these two again.

Wheel Cleaner --- this stuff is pretty good at removing caked on brake dust. My wife could not believe how easy it was to use and removed the dust accumlating on the CTS. That said, you still should spray very liberally on the corners, as it does not remove anything it does not attach to immediately. A quick final wipe before dressing the tires was all that was needed.

Spritz --- I am super impressed with this stuff. It adds gloss, and slickness to my Corvette coated with Z2Pro. This is currently at the top of the sealant QD tower and clearly provided something that others do not quite as well.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:47 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default I also have a bottle of Menzerna QD spray along with their Power Gloss and

Originally Posted by Killrwheels
I do not move to far from Griots Wheel Cleaner, but recently ran out and failed to order another gallon. Since I was itching to try a new QD I decided to order them both at the same time from www.premiumautocare.com since it is in Florida and usually next day delivery is normal. Thus detailing on Thursday evening versus Wednesday as normal.

Poorboys Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner:

This wheel cleaner requires you to only pre-rinse the wheels with water and make sure they are not hot. You spray on liberally and move to the next. After completing all the wheels, you are only to go back and rinse them with a steady stream of water. (YEAH RIGHT) It supposedly carries no lye or acid (like most store bought wheel cleaners) but is citrus based.

I was pleased that it pretty much did what it offered. The areas of most concern were the lugnut holes and the inner barrels. Both looked extremely well , after use , without any agitation and cleaned up easily without need for other brushes. (Now in all fairness, I have ceramic brake pads and Baer Rotors, so brake dust is miminal, but road dirt, dust and debris are still present) . I believe it was on for no more than 2 minutes so all in all this might be a nice product for ones wheels. I will watch carefully to see if buildup, etching or other issues abound with further use. I will also try on the wifes car as her wheels seem plenty dirty after the weeks use.

Menzerna Detailing Spritz:

While this QD is acrylic based, I decided to use it over Zaino Z2Pro sealant as the label offers additional protection for either type(poly or acrylic), and Menzerna's sealant FMJ is also poly based. It has a very powerful chemical smell, with a familar scent ?? It went on quickly and without issue and immediately added a slicker feeling to the previous sealant. (By the time you rewiped the same area you noticed a slippery feeling and could feel where it ended) Gloss factor is very similar to some of the better sealant QD'ers like Z6, Sonus and UPP. So far I am impressed with the look and more importantly the feel of this product. I love the super slippery feeling and can only wonder what their sealant offers.

sorry it was getting dark when I took the pic, and I need to reset or turnoff the date.
Intensive polish all of which I haven't used yet.
Is there any special preparation as far as the QD goes spraying the Menerza QD over the Z-6?
I use both Klasse system and Zaino system for two different cars.
Also I'm using Klasse AIO with Klasse Sealant so that would be a perfect match with the Menzerna QD?
But with Zaino it is ok to use? I know Zaino is not acrylic based.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

The QD is used just like Z6 over Z2, Z5, ProZ5, and although the chemical makeup is different, it does not appear to harm anything and clearly enhanced the previous levels with more gloss and slickness. I can only imagine that it would work just as well over Klasse with a similar makeup. In truth, Menzerna FMJ (their sealant) is water based, and I believe they went to acrylic based to further longevity of protection (durability)
Old 03-04-2005, 02:47 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I just ordered both!!

Tired of trying to clean the wheels on the wifes 99 740il.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:07 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

In the last several weeks I have noticed one thing on the Menzerna Spritz, and that is to use it as lightly as possible. One spritz per panel or some streaking will be seen. I do not dilute any product, only used as manufacturer suggests, so I do not know if it is just too concentraded. The look is still glossy, and the finish is noticably slicker after use.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:59 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

In the last several weeks I have noticed one thing on the Menzerna Spritz, and that is to use it as lightly as possible. One spritz per panel or some streaking will be seen. I do not dilute any product, only used as manufacturer suggests, so I do not know if it is just too concentraded. The look is still glossy, and the finish is noticably slicker after use.
I never got any streaking from Z6 and I hear the new Z8 is even better. Besides, I don't like mixing products, if I am using Zaino I will use their QD and visa versa. Thanks for the heads up/review though.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Originally Posted by agentf1
I never got any streaking from Z6 and I hear the new Z8 is even better. Besides, I don't like mixing products, if I am using Zaino I will use their QD and visa versa. Thanks for the heads up/review though.

I would not expect anything less from you (zaino till death right ??).... but it does provide a much nicer look than Z6. And I have experienced some streaking with Z6, in direct sunlight when applied to heavily. That said I am looking forward to trying Z8 .... lets see if Sal can convert me , but it better not look and act like Optimum Wax.

Last edited by Killrwheels; 03-04-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:38 PM
DsC5
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agentf1
I never got any streaking from Z6 and I hear the new Z8 is even better.
Haven't heard of Z8, what is it?
Old 03-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DsC5
Haven't heard of Z8, what is it?
It "was" a highly secretive new Spray Sealant in the works from Zaino. Unfortunately someone spilled the beans and everyone is waiting for it.
http://forums.roadfly.org/forums/det...6242813-1.html
Old 03-11-2005, 02:58 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Its taking forever for my order from www.premiumautocare.com to get here. I ordered it last friday and it just shipped yesterday (thursday) Looks like I will not get it till monday.

I would of ordered from autogeeks.net but they did not have the Menzerna Detailing Spritz. A local friend ordered some PS21 wheel cleaner on monday from www.autogeek.net he got it yesterday.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:13 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Drop a line to Jason or Mike at Autogeek and let them know that you would also like to see them carry the Menzerna line. I hate ordering from someone else, but whatcha gonna do.

One hint with the wheel cleaner, do not store it with the sprayer in it. I guess the chemical makeup of the cleaner can damage the mechanism for spraying, as I had to replace mine midway through the bottle.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:54 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Drop a line to Jason or Mike at Autogeek and let them know that you would also like to see them carry the Menzerna line. I hate ordering from someone else, but whatcha gonna do.

One hint with the wheel cleaner, do not store it with the sprayer in it. I guess the chemical makeup of the cleaner can damage the mechanism for spraying, as I had to replace mine midway through the bottle.

Thanks for the warning on the sprayer. I have some HD spray bottles from work so I will just label and use them.

Could of really used that wheel cleaner this w/e.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gmblack3
Could of really used that wheel cleaner this w/e.

Your telling me, I ran out after last weekends wash and I ordered a gallon from Autogeek to late on Friday so it wont get here until Tuesday.

Get notified of new replies

To New Product Tests (Wheel Cleaner and QD)

Old 03-13-2005, 12:53 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Your telling me, I ran out after last weekends wash and I ordered a gallon from Autogeek to late on Friday so it wont get here until Tuesday.
I see that some of the reviews over on autopia say that is pretty strong and should not be used every week. Then some others say its water based and can be cut with water, then it can be used more often.

What do you think so far?

All the reviews on the poorboys wheel cleaner have been very good.

Also have you tried any of the PS21 wheel cleaner? Friend that got some of that says it works very well. Even on his "track wheels" that have been sitting for a few months without being cleaned.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gmblack3
I see that some of the reviews over on autopia say that is pretty strong and should not be used every week. Then some others say its water based and can be cut with water, then it can be used more often.

What do you think so far?

All the reviews on the poorboys wheel cleaner have been very good.

Also have you tried any of the PS21 wheel cleaner? Friend that got some of that says it works very well. Even on his "track wheels" that have been sitting for a few months without being cleaned.
I do not believe in cutting any product, unless the manufacturer specifically recommends it because of its concentration. (common in some car soaps --- just tried the new Menzerna Wash, now that is concentrated).

I use it weekly on two cars , the wifes Cadillac with "upgraded sport brake pads" and boy does it make quick work of the weekly dirt. (these puppies turn black after 4-5 days of normal use, kinda like carbon metallic racing pads). I also use it on the Vette (which has ceramic brake pads and very little dusting). I suspect it is stronger than my previous choice of Griots, but it is so darn easy to use without agitation. I also like that it cleans out in the inner hubs on the Vette without need for brushes and deep reaching hands.

I have used P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner in the past, and several others like Pinnacles that are based on the same design. Super thick to stay where put, but these all recommend agitation with a sponge. They are also 3-5 times more costly than Poorboys when you figure in how much is used.

I recommend following Poorboys package exactly, spray each wheel with water first. Then coat and allow to sit for two minutes, and then spray with firm water pattern. While I have tried it without wetting the wheels first on the CTS, it does not seem to be needed on anything but the dirty-est of wheels.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:46 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

I do not believe in cutting any product, unless the manufacturer specifically recommends it because of its concentration. (common in some car soaps --- just tried the new Menzerna Wash, now that is concentrated).

I use it weekly on two cars , the wifes Cadillac with "upgraded sport brake pads" and boy does it make quick work of the weekly dirt. (these puppies turn black after 4-5 days of normal use, kinda like carbon metallic racing pads). I also use it on the Vette (which has ceramic brake pads and very little dusting). I suspect it is stronger than my previous choice of Griots, but it is so darn easy to use without agitation. I also like that it cleans out in the inner hubs on the Vette without need for brushes and deep reaching hands.

I have used P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner in the past, and several others like Pinnacles that are based on the same design. Super thick to stay where put, but these all recommend agitation with a sponge. They are also 3-5 times more costly than Poorboys when you figure in how much is used.

I recommend following Poorboys package exactly, spray each wheel with water first. Then coat and allow to sit for two minutes, and then spray with firm water pattern. While I have tried it without wetting the wheels first on the CTS, it does not seem to be needed on anything but the dirty-est of wheels.

Sounds good!

If I like it I will get the gallon for $40.

The wheels on my Z06 have some buildup from brake dust and tar that does not come off with regular washing. I may need to clay them to get the stuff off. Then weekly cleanings with the poorboys should keep them very nice.

Quick Reply: New Product Tests (Wheel Cleaner and QD)