Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Clay Question - I Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:48 PM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Clay Question - I Need Help!!

OK I'm back..
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sho...d.php?t=1026879

Picked up some clay on the way home. I got from the doors back done but now I'm on edge. I notice an extreme amount of orange peel, a slight dullness ( could be clay residue) and lots of super-fine scratches (not anything you can hang a nail on or anything AND these are visible under the flourescent lights in the garage). The paint seems to be coming off though. Is the above normal - especially noticing the fine scratches? Could this be the finish being stripped to zero and now everything is unhidden? I'm shocked and what a f-up this was!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming you are using a good lubricant with your clay(Car Wash soap and water are actually the best), then I suspect you ar removing a wax/polish that has been hiding the swirls. Never jam the bar down hard, or use heavy pressure. Let the weight of the bar/light pressure do the work.
Unfortunately your post link is a dead end, so I don't know if you just bought the car, etc.
The Clay Bar should always float on a surface of lubricant. It will rarely touch the paint directly. It is hard to tell, but as a guess you are pulling enough junk off the paint, to remove a layer(s) of whatever was on there before. As you pull "stuff" off the paint, it will pull with it some of the wax/polish. If the polish was applied over the dirt, then you will really remove quite a bit.
Make sense?
Old 03-01-2005, 03:37 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

I just clayed my car today. For the first time in my life I've used clay and the whole process of cleaning the car this way. Usually, I'd wash the car with a regular car wash soap, and then wax it with something like Turtle Wax. Worked good for me.

Now, since I just got a Vette, I wanted to try out this thing called Zaino that everyone brags about. It works. Read my post..."If you're on the fence......" As for your question - if you've already clayed your car, don't worry...all the bad stuff has been taken off. But now the car is with no protection, so apply whatever best wax you've got. If using Zaino, go with Z5 first (with Z1 or ZFX), then go to Z2. If you're using over the counter waxes... go with NXT ($14.49 Walmart). You can use any other waxed too. But I'm picky about my Vette, so these were the best I found in my research. I used Zaino today, after claying the car. Results are like Blk mirror.... awesome Whatever you do... apply a polish/wax ASAP....
Old 03-01-2005, 09:48 AM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

Let's try that link again. Thanks for your help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1026879
Old 03-01-2005, 10:19 AM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Flourescent lights are gonna show it all. I got rid of them and it made me feel better.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:50 AM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

I have a dual action polisher and just ordered some Menzerna Final Polish II. Has anyone used this product and will it help remove these fine scratches, etc. i am dealing with? It looks like a fairly benign product vs. a full blown compound, etc. which I think may be overkill. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:41 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I hope you lubed.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:38 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I've used Menzerna Final Polish II. It's basically a burnisher ... hardly abrasive at all, and doesn't remove noticeable scratches (in my experience). You might want to try it first, then try the Menzerna Intensive. It's not very agressive at all, and the two in succession, using Intensive then II, followed by wax of course, will most likely give you better results.

Like the other guys said, when using the clay bar, use plenty of the lubricant and very little pressure. Keep the surface very wet. If the bar drags at all, you need more soap and water on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Clay Question - I Need Help!!

Quick Reply: Clay Question - I Need Help!!