Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

DuPont "Teflon" Products

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 10:25 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default DuPont "Teflon" Products

I believe I've read here or on the net that Dupont always said for teflon to adhere to anything the item must be heated at 600 degrees or something.
Now teflon is in their Teflon Liquid Wax.
In the May issue of Road & Track or was it Motor Trend there is a coupon for a free bottle(with rebate) of any of the products in the Dupont teflon car care line.
I bought the 22 ounce Dupont Teflon Tire Shine ($5.24) at Walmart yesterday.
I figured I'd give it a shot for free.
I have no desire to use the Teflon Wax.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Joe, you are absolutely correct in that is it just "marketing hype". Instant recognition of "teflon" will guarantee some sales. If I had a free coupon I would try it also, but it would not see my $$ for the wax anyways.

I recently bought "Michellins" rim protectant, based solely on their name. Now Michellin may know tires .... but an actual rim protectant (kinda like a spray protectant) , well I doubt it. But it worked pretty well on the CTS for a week, we will see what next week will bring ...

Last edited by Killrwheels; 04-10-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:43 AM
69er
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Killrwheels
Joe, you are absolutely correct in that is it just "marketing hype". Instant recognition of "teflon" will guarantee some sales. If I had a free coupon I would try it also, but it would not see my $$ for the wax anyways.

I recently bought "Michellins" rim protectant, based solely on their name. Now Michellin may know tires .... but an actual rim protectant (kinda like a spray protectant) , well I doubt it. But it worked pretty well on the CTS for a week, we will see what next week will bring ...
Killr
I'm surprised Dupont would go this route after the statement they made on the heating needed.
I'm reading the tire shine bottle and the product is made by Tenneco Automotive in Michigan.
Makers of products by Monroe shocks,Walker exhaust,Rancho shocks,Dynomax,Thrush etc.

Also of course on the bottle of the tire shine.
Contains silicones.

Good point on Michelin also.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would suspect that Tennaco licensed the name and use of brand "teflon" to increase sales .... but I seriously doubt they did any real homework to see what has been said out in the industry about its "real" protection benefits.

And in truth, how many people that purchase car waxes at a retail store, would ever do any homework first ?? At the autoshow here each year, I see them sell buckets of T.T.P. , which contains Teflon. They light a car on fire, show absolutely no damage, and everyone buys a pint. Pure marketing ..
Old 04-10-2005, 11:18 AM
69er
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Killrwheels
I would suspect that Tennaco licensed the name and use of brand "teflon" to increase sales .... but I seriously doubt they did any real homework to see what has been said out in the industry about its "real" protection benefits.

And in truth, how many people that purchase car waxes at a retail store, would ever do any homework first ?? At the autoshow here each year, I see them sell buckets of T.T.P. , which contains Teflon. They light a car on fire, show absolutely no damage, and everyone buys a pint. Pure marketing ..

So true.
Gliptone has had a teflon product out for quite awhile.
I don't think that product is flying off the shelves.
I guess Tenneco execs feel the "DuPont" name will work.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:50 PM
91C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax with Teflon!

Teflon has to be heated to 588 degrees to bond. I doubt it will get that hot here anytime soon. DuPont again is marketing off their name! From what I hear it's not selling very well. Stick with Zaino or NXT if you don't have the time invest .
Old 04-14-2005, 05:48 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Page 5 of the Guru report of the Wax Test debunks all the Teflon bs....

Get notified of new replies

To DuPont "Teflon" Products

Quick Reply: DuPont "Teflon" Products