Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

HELP!!! Wife just "dusted" my car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 07:35 PM
VetteWantaBe
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Wife just "dusted" my car!!!

Help, this is an emergency! My wife, trying to do the right thing, just dusted my entire car with a DRY, LEATHER CHAMOIS. As you can imagine, the black paint is now FILLED with scratches. What should I do?
Old 04-22-2005, 08:00 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try the MILDEST polish you have and see if that works (Megs ScratchX with a very light pressure applied?)
Let us knw how it turns out...and don't be too hard on yout wife, she thought it was helping you...
JonM
Old 04-22-2005, 08:20 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteWantaBe
Help, this is an emergency! My wife, trying to do the right thing, just dusted my entire car with a DRY, LEATHER CHAMOIS. As you can imagine, the black paint is now FILLED with scratches. What should I do?
Go give her a hug. I am sure she feels bad enough already.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:29 PM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by jabez
Go give her a hug. I am sure she feels bad enough already.
and while you're hugging her whisper in her ear that if she ever gets the urge to do something nice for you, get naked in the front seat but don't touch the outside of the car!
Old 04-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

It is your fault for even having a leather chamois around, they went out years ago. You should have had a nice microfiber towel and it would have been better. If you can't get the scratches out then I am sure a pro detailer can. Good luck, I am sure it can be fixed.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:51 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New wife???
Old 04-22-2005, 09:15 PM
VetteWantaBe
Heel & Toe

Default Wax?

Would it help to put another layer of wax on....or do I need to do the polish first?
Old 04-22-2005, 09:29 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 562 Likes on 374 Posts

..Whats a wife?????
Old 04-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Akro
Instructor

Go drive it really fast to put the scratches in perspective!

I just washed mine a found a couple of really tiny "dings" - I keep telling myself "It's a machine, it's not a puppy - it will be alright".

I'm sure you will find some good advice on this forum on how to get the scratches removed - good luck.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:02 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Okay, there are a couple of options. The best option is to have the car buffed with swirl mark remover. All will be perfect again. The second requires much more elbow grease. 3M makes a product called finish restorer also Meguiars makes something called Body Scrub. Both products will remove those scratches, 3M may have replaced the finish restorer with their cleaner wax. If you do it by hand you will probably look like Gov. Arnold. But it will work.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:52 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Tough call...Start with a wash 7 see how bad it is...3M swirl remover might work or it may need to be power polished. Depending on your comfort level you can easily do it yourself but it's a MAJOR job.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:55 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Would it help to put another layer of wax on....or do I need to do the polish first?
Unless the wax is an all-in-one type product with fillers and polish, then NO !! You first need to decide if you want to remove them permanantly (thus polishing) or if you want to hide (glaze), but keep in mind sealants (like Klasse, Wolfgang, UPP) do not like to adhere to glazes.

Oh almost forgot, teach your wife to use this, no scratches and no dust. http://www.autogeek.net/oxo580.html

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 04-24-2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:02 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

If you are a perfectionist like me you will probably want to polish them out first. If you have a Porter Cable randon orbital you are in luck, if not it can probably be done by hand as well (just more work). Use a product like Menzerna FPII or 3M ssr 39009 with either a foam polishing pad or 100% cotton cloth (by hand) If by hand rub in straight lines not circles and do a small area at a time. After you have the finish where you want it finish up with Zaino Z5 followed by a coat of Z2 Pro (following Zaino's directions of course) or with a product of your choice. I have black and can not live without Zaino products.

And do not go too hard on your wife, she WAS trying to help. Maybe do like I do and get her involved and teach her the right way.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:14 PM
boracayjohnny
Race Director

Location: You should have told him it would not hit 185 if you dropped it out of the back of a C130 with 4 heffalumps inside trying to get to the Golden Corral.

Originally Posted by Akro
Go drive it really fast to put the scratches in perspective!

I just washed mine a found a couple of really tiny "dings" - I keep telling myself "It's a machine, it's not a puppy - it will be alright".

I'm sure you will find some good advice on this forum on how to get the scratches removed - good luck.
thanks for saying what i've been thinking, and saying, for some time. i love my car but it's a car still. just a bunch of metal and plastic....that's all it is. yet, i do enjoy spending time making it shine and looking hot.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!! Wife just "dusted" my car!!!

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Wife just "dusted" my car!!!