Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Sealant Tests

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 07:45 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Default Sealant Tests

Had a friend visit this morning with his "highly used" Blue Malibu, and we decided to make a test bed. Since the car see's Florida environment 24/7 and hasnt been properly detailed recently, we decided to have some fun testing sealants. We did NOT prep the car in any fashion other than a quick wash, and dry. We will test slickness, beading, and length of protection over the coming weeks and wondered aloud how funny it may look in the rain, with some tight beads, some sheeting, and probably some water pooling.

Hood --- We decided to mask it off in two and to use two liquid sealants in order to provide the base. We used Menzerna FMJ on the drivers side and Four Star UPP on the passenger side. We immediately noticed that both look very similar (very hard to tell apart). UPP clearly has more slickness and he likes as much as the Wolfgang he was using prior to testing.
http://www.autogeek.net/plulpapr.html

Side Panel # 1 -- Optimum Spray Wax/Sealant -- this is a very easy product with a quick wipe and a quick follow thru. Some slickness is apparent and highly touts the benefits of UV protection. This product appears to be a hybrid, and nice to be able to move over rubber surrounds, moldings, and other areas without issue.
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html

Side Door -- Brand X Sealant Version Red-- This product is in testing and a little more finicky to use. You need to spray, wipe, set, and wipe off like a traditional spray wax. Within several minutes it became the shining star as reflection was so crisp that car's owner remarked "I can see the blades of grass" in my car. Slickness is up there also and panel feels as nice as UPP on hood.

Rear Door --Brand X Sealant Version Yellow -- Again another spray sealant in testing and a much easier product to use. It goes on like water, and wipes off a little easier. While some additional gloss was apparent, the crisp details were not there thus reflectivity was not as apparent. Nobody seemed impressed with this look and we all rated it the lowest.

Rear Panel --Poorboys QD+ -- A little bit of a cheat, this product is clearly a spray carnuba wax versus sealant. It also is currently off the market, and unsure if Poorboys is going to replace, although it appears we still have some inventory. Since it takes on the carnuba look, I decided to use it in order see if the cars owner noticed the difference. It looked and felt nice, but really was not a stand out based on any other paneling. Owner did remark that "my dad might like this one".
http://www.autogeek.net/pbqd16.html

Owners Immediate Conclusion was how do I get BrandX (Red) and I want to do the rest of the car with it. Reflection, gloss, slickness were all very apparent to him, and he felt it was very easy to use when told upfront how to work it. Still said it was easier than liquid versions on the hood, as he liked the spray ability. After finishing the car, the curing/bonding was apparent, and looked even better. So now we wait, see what weather the week brings, and how he feels next weekend. He has promised to leave everything as is ... for at least one week. Then he would like to prep correctly and use only the winner. Since I have a limited supply of BrandX (red) --- he might be in trouble.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 05-01-2005 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:01 AM
black bart
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a test of meguiars#21 I was looking at that at autogeek site but hate to buy a gallon not knowing what it will do.
If it leaves a phony plastic look like zanio I will pour it down the drain.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:59 AM
beachcat
Safety Car

Does this fall under the "too much time on your hands" catagory? j/k
Hmmmm, weather looks good this week in South Florida,,,no snow in the forecast.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:35 AM
iceburgh
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by black bart
How about a test of meguiars#21 I was looking at that at autogeek site but hate to buy a gallon not knowing what it will do.
I have used it and to be honest I like it more and more as I use it.
Looks to give the shine of NXT but last longer. IMO
Old 04-25-2005, 12:05 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go... 12oz sample for $8.95

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...%20Sealant.htm
Old 04-25-2005, 05:18 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Bart,

send me your name and address offline, and I will get you a sample from mine. I have it, but have not tried it yet. I hear durability is improved over NXT, and that is a good thing.

Beachcat .... you still mad because I saw your dirty bootie at Walmart. In time, I may enlist you to try some new stuff. I would love to give you a little BrandX Red sealant spray to test, but my stash is little and I have no container ... yeah // yeah no container.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:28 PM
black bart
Drifting

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Bart,

send me your name and address offline, and I will get you a sample from mine. I have it, but have not tried it yet. I hear durability is improved over NXT, and that is a good thing.
E Mail sent
Old 05-01-2005, 09:55 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Ok one week later and yesterday night we had a chance to measure up the Blue Malibu.

Hood --- FMJ and UPP are doing very well on their respective sides. Beading nice with nod going to UPP. If you have never tried this line (Four Star), you are seriously missing out on one of the hidden gems in paint sealants. We thought of adding the acrylic spritz to the FMJ side to see what happens, but felt it would not be fair.

Front Panel ---(Optimum) beading very well with washing, but any slickness that was present is gone. Look is no better than any other sealant, but its ease of use makes it the easiest product of the bunch to use weekly. It simply is a wipe and walk type product. I wish its gloss factor could be kicked up a notch.

Front Door --- (Brand X Red) this puppy still looks very nice reflective and glossy, and still had noticable slickness after wash and drying. Beading is nice and uniform and friend still agrees his favorite.

I have heard that it is only a couple of weeks from the market, and will be priced very aggressively. For those not wanting to spend all day detailing, and like the spray wax/sealant product, this is going to make you VERY happy.

Rear Door --- (Brand X Yellow) gone.... over.... out. Bottle was trashed after properly disposing of the contents.

Rear Quarter Panel --- (Poorboys QD+) this one surprised us as it has nice beading, and slight slickness, but looks so nice while washing. Clearly protecting the finish, and although not as crisp and reflective as above sealant (remember its carnuba based) it does seem to be holding up quite nice. So much so that his little brother pilfered a bottle from my gallon.

So one week later and three products are clearly in the lead. Poorboys QD+ for the spray wax bunch, Four Star UPP for the liquid sealant crowd, and Brand X Red.

Next weekend we hope to try out Optimums newest release, its paint polish. Suppose to be multi-talented based on pad usage and speed. Also trying out its tire protectant, seems to be releasing several products to enhance its line.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-wax.html

** As always, different results and outcome may apply**
Old 05-01-2005, 03:53 PM
91C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by iceburgh
I have used it and to be honest I like it more and more as I use it.
Looks to give the shine of NXT but last longer. IMO
From Megs own thread #21 is mix of NXT & #20.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:11 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 91C4
From Megs own thread #21 is mix of NXT & #20.
You got a link to that thread???

Get notified of new replies

To Sealant Tests

Quick Reply: Sealant Tests