Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino- Cotton Towels Or Micro Fiber?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 11:59 AM
thorkonan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino- Cotton Towels Or Micro Fiber?

Whats Better, The 100% Cotton Towels That Zaino Recomends Or Micro Fiber Towels?
Old 04-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Sacredgrooves
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I used microfiber towels with good results. I bought some DF concours towels though and will try them next time out to compare.MF didnt give me any swirls or fine scratches that I noticed. I was pretty adament about using multiple towels and keeping them very clean to reduce risk.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:31 PM
wolfman04
Racer

IMO cotton towels no matter how good they are will leave scratches in the clear coat, DF Towels are hard to beat.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:37 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thorkonan
Whats Better, The 100% Cotton Towels That Zaino Recomends Or Micro Fiber Towels?
How about BOTH, the www.dftowel.com is BOTH micro fiber AND all cotton.........
Old 04-29-2005, 07:21 PM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

I still use only cotton on the 2001. No swill marks or scratches yet as a result.

Most of my customers have no problem with the high quality microfiber towels. These are the 70% Polyester/30% Polyamide type. You are mostlikely safe provided the towel doesn't get contaminated. Most of the problems are due to poor/inconsistent quality.

My personal opinion: I don't like the way microfiber "grabs" at the paint. Given that feeling, I truly believe supima cotton is more forgiving should the towel become contaminated.

I do have some of the DF Towels. They work great around my emblems. They are a differnt type of microfiber. They feel more like cotton.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:30 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

I have great succes with Zaino and Pak Shak microfiber towels ( www.pakshak.com ).
Old 04-29-2005, 07:40 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JJU
I still use only cotton on the 2001. No swill marks or scratches yet as a result.

Most of my customers have no problem with the high quality microfiber towels. These are the 70% Polyester/30% Polyamide type. You are mostlikely safe provided the towel doesn't get contaminated. Most of the problems are due to poor/inconsistent quality.

My personal opinion: I don't like the way microfiber "grabs" at the paint. Given that feeling, I truly believe supima cotton is more forgiving should the towel become contaminated.

I do have some of the DF Towels. They work great around my emblems. They are a differnt type of microfiber. They feel more like cotton.
DF Towels are 100% cotton fiber..

Our flagship product, the DF® Concours Towel, is an exceptionally soft, super absorbent terrycloth. The fabric is woven from our own unique AlpineFiber™ yarn. AlpineFiber™ is made entirely of a blend of microfiber Cotton and Pima Cotton, no artificial fibers of any kind are used in the weaving or sewing of this amazing product.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:20 PM
indy300
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to figure out how other vette owners dry and wax/buff with cotton or microfiber. I want to use a towel that won't scratch my vette, but is still cost effective. I know to use only top quality/dollar MF towels, but I can't bring myself to drop $50+ on detailing towels. Are MF towels washable?

How many MF towels do you use for each procedure? Do you wash and reuse the MF towels? Do you have one towel for each process.

thanks for your input
Old 04-29-2005, 08:29 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Most all microfiber towels are washable and reusable. They work best and last the longest when maintained with a dedicated microfiber detergent or something like Woolite.

Pak Shak offers a variety of towels for a variety of purposes. http://pakshak.com/micropak.html

Waffle weaves for drying

Ultra Plush and Ultra Fine towels for QD and final buff duty

Ultra microfiber for wax and polish removal, along with general duty

They are well worth the small investment. (PM me for a discount code)
Old 05-01-2005, 12:16 AM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

I just spent $100 on towels that are currently under test. There is one that I am prepared to talk about and that is the waffle weave drying towels. They are a bit better than excellent! I bought some from Bed, Bath, and Beyond over in the hair drying section for $17. I bought two from Meguiar's and like them both equally well. The better deal was via Meguiar's. Water comes off easily and in shade you need one additional swipe of a semi-dry towel to remove all moisture. With some Sun, it will dry without the second swipe.

Although not tested yet, this Waffle Weave should do an excellent job of removing wax. I will test that next.

Without washing the microfiber towels for glass first, I was sad to see lint on the glass. Heartbroken, I was. Washing the towel first may not improve the lint problem either. These new microfiber glass towels are new. I still like my thin cotton cloth that my mother gave me best.

Dan
Old 05-01-2005, 06:33 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Definitely microfiber towels

Old 05-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Microfiber!
Old 05-01-2005, 09:15 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just used MF towels for the first time yesterday. After I had clayed the vette and then spent most of yesterdy using the PC with SMR. After I finished each section I used two MF towels to remove the SMR, one after I misted it with water and the other to light buff the residue off. They worked really well I think.

Later last night I applied a fresh coat of Z5 with ZFX, I used a brand new Sonüs MF towel to remove and buff the Z5. I'm not sure if its the towel or not, but I did notice that grab affect talked about earlier. Previously with cotton towels after the haze was removed the towel glided very easily over the surface, I didn't notice that affect as much with the MF.

This morning I'm going to be putting on a quick coat of Z8 followed by a coat of Z2 Pro. When I remove the Z2 I plan to remove the haze with another new Sonüs MF then follow it with a new Sonüs Concors white buffing towel. I'll let you how that works: better or worst. I do like the feel of the Concors, I should have ordered several of those. But now that I have a good feeling for high quality towels, I can place an order again except now I know what kind and amounts I want.

BTW: man ole man am I impressed with the results of the PC with SMR. A lot of work but the results are just incredible.

Last edited by 93JetJocky; 05-01-2005 at 09:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino- Cotton Towels Or Micro Fiber?

Quick Reply: Zaino- Cotton Towels Or Micro Fiber?