Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino (Or anything else)... How Soon After (Re)Painting

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:20 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Newly re- painted vehicle-
·Oil-based paint, lacquer or enamel are formulated with solvents (30-80% dependant upon manufacturer) once applied paint needs to dry and the solvents need to (out-gas) evaporate for sixty to ninety days (60-90) to enable the paint off gassing and aerobic curing, if the paint is covered with a conventional wax or sealant it will arrest the outgas/cure process.

·Water-based high solid/low solvent urethane paints used by PPG, DuPont and most other paint manufacturers do not require time for the outgas/ aerobic cure process, as they are catalyzed (i.e. a chemical process that cures paint) but I would suggest waiting for approx. seven days before any product application, which should be more than sufficient time to enable paint off gassing and aerobic curing

·The application of a specific product (i.e. Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze, 3M™ Perfect-It III™ Show Car Finishing Glaze, Zanio Z Polishes [do not use either Z1 or ZFX]) is completely safe for any fresh paint system as they allow the solvents in an oil-based paint outgas/ aerobic cure process and provide some protection for any type of paint surface.
·Abrasive polish should be avoided until the paint has cured (an abrasive polish will not necessarily harm the soft new paint but unless it’s absolutely necessary I would avoid polish)
·Vehicle washing is encouraged but avoid any harsh detergents or any car wash that uses a high-pressure spray

The body-shop/paint manufactures know their products; seek their advice so as not to void any warranty given.
JonM

Last edited by TOGWT; 05-24-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:37 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=58Vette65
I was reminded of the C6 were baked by 39 PMs this morning and that I need to respond. [/QUOTE]

·Water-based high solid/low solvent urethane paints used by PPG, DuPont and most other paint manufacturers do not require time for the outgas/ aerobic cure process, as they are catalyzed (i.e. a chemical process that cures paint) but I would suggest waiting for approx. seven days before any product application, which should be more than sufficient time to enable paint off gassing and aerobic curing

What TOGWT posted is what Sal said!

So "Sal said it"
Tell your "contacts" at GM and grab some award $$$!

Last edited by 69er; 05-24-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

[QUOTE=69er][QUOTE=58Vette65
What TOGWT said is what Sal said!
So "Sal said it" [/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting for what "58vette65" says about my previous question. Why is it that you say you can use a GLAZE on paint immediatly but not Zaino? Please explain why.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:52 PM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=69er]
Originally Posted by 58Vette65
I was reminded of the C6 were baked by 39 PMs this morning and that I need to respond. [/QUOTE

So "Sal said it"
Tell your "contacts" at GM and grab some award $$$!
Amazing how many millions of dollars was spent on ovens and energy cost every month at Corvette Plant by mistake or to fool the public when all they would have to do is throw some paint on and a coat of Zanio and that would protect as it goes down the assembly line. Those engineers need to read these forums and get the real answers.

I did already answer the glaze question!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 03:56 PM
69er
Team Owner

Amazing how many millions of dollars was spent on ovens and energy cost every month at Corvette Plant by mistake or to fool the public when all they would have to do is throw some paint on and a coat of Zanio and that would protect as it goes down the assembly line. Those engineers need to read these forums and get the real answers.

Maybe another reason why GM is having problems.

Look at it this way.
You learned something about today's urethane paints.

Last edited by 69er; 05-24-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I only seen your post where you explain that painters use it and why they use it. Shine, etc. I can't find where you explain why it is "NOT DETRIMENTAL" to use a glaze but Zaino or any polymer for that matter is not recommended.

Last edited by Crusher; 05-24-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:00 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Crusher
I only seen your post where you explain that painters use it and why they use it. Shine, etc. I can't find where you explain why it is "NOT DETRIMENTAL" to use a glaze but Zaino or any polymer for that matter is not recommended.
From what little I know a ‘Glaze’ contains polymers, so I can’t shed any light on why Zanio’s polymers would be any different

Glaze- (purely an aesthetic product ) that provides gloss but very little protection; it's often referred to as Show Glaze, made from an emulsion formulated from water, polymers and glycerine oil, solvent, abrasives (to remove minor swirls) Kaolin clay fillers (or similar ) that hide small paint surface scratches, abrasions and swirl marks, surfactant, colouring and fragrance. Its filling abilities usually wear off in a matter of days before the surface abrasions become visible again, washing the paint film surface will accelerate this process.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:13 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by TOGWT
From what little I know a ‘Glaze’ contains polymers, so I can’t shed any light on why Zanio’s polymers would be any different
Me either. I'm still waiting to here why from 58vette65.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:33 PM
93ZF6
Racer

If you want to go Zaino then you should have your answer by now, I had the nose of my daily driver re sprayed, Everyone has a theory, I used a Meguires product, the only one they say is safe on fresh paint, it is a glaze in their pro line it provides some protection and allows NON factory ie: non baked paint to outgas. I'll check the number and re post.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:52 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TOGWT

Glaze- (purely an aesthetic product ) that provides gloss but very little protection; it's often referred to as Show Glaze, made from an emulsion formulated from water, polymers and glycerine oil, solvent, abrasives (to remove minor swirls) Kaolin clay fillers (or similar ) that hide small paint surface scratches, abrasions and swirl marks, surfactant, colouring and fragrance. Its filling abilities usually wear off in a matter of days before the surface abrasions become visible again, washing the paint film surface will accelerate this process.
Here is another qoute about glazes.

===================================
Glazes

This is an area where confusion reigns high. What is a glaze? Is it a wax or a polish? Again, there is no magic or special or proprietary formulation--just basic chemistry and a formulation to achieve desired results.

The term "glaze" actually refers to a body shop product used to remove buffer swirls. However, a glaze does not contain any silicones or waxes because new paint cannot be sealed for 60 days to allow solvent to evaporate. The common ingredients in a body shop glaze are: water, glycerin (usually in high amounts to produce a high shine), oil, solvent, abrasives (to remove swirls), surfactant, coloring and fragrance.

A detailer might use a glaze that contains silicones and/or waxes to make the products easier to work with and to provide more shine, but then it is really a polish, isn't it? Detail products called cleaner/glaze should contain a light abrasive, wax and silicone to give the detailer an inexpensive product to use on dealer cars. They are quick to use, but their main drawbacks are that they have no durability and should not be used on retail cars.

They should be used with a high-speed buffer, using a lamb's wool finishing pad or foam finishing pad. You can also use an orbital waxer, depending on the condition of the paint finish.

======================================== =

Here is the link http://www.moderncarcare.com/Articles/331deta1.html

Here is another qoute from the same place..

Silicones - to increase depth of shine. All paint sealants, and some waxes, will use amino-functional silicones that provide a bonding action of the sealant to the paint. Typically, a wax will use only a standard silicone fluid which is not as durable as amino-functional silicones.

Last edited by 58Vette65; 05-25-2005 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:09 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

I normally let me wife take her own car around and get hail damage estimates but I thought in light of this thread it would be a great opportunity to talk to paint shop managers. Normally I don’t bring it to Chevy since you have to have an appointment for an estimate but I made an exception here. I question the guy giving the estimate and the paint show foreman and he pulled out a Paint Shop TSB for Chevy and the Paint Manufacture that clear states if Zanio is used within the first 60 days it will void the warranty of the repaint. Probably the same TSB that was quoted to the original poster of this thread. Ford and the independent paint also knew about the TSB. The bottom line is that other products VOIDS THE REPAINT WARRENTY and at least here in our local paints shops Sal Said it does not hold much weight with the warranty claims.

Last edited by 58Vette65; 05-25-2005 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:18 AM
69er
Team Owner

I normally let me wife take her own car around and get hail damage estimates but I thought in light of this thread it would be a great opportunity to talk to paint shop managers. Normally I don’t bring it to Chevy since you have to have an appointment for an estimate but I made an exception here. I question the guy giving the estimate and the paint show foreman and he pulled out a Paint Shop TSB for Chevy and the Paint Manufacture that clear states if Zanio is used within the first 60 days it will void the warranty of the repaint. Probably the same TSB that was quoted to the original poster of this thread. Ford and the independent paint also knew about the TSB. The bottom line is that ZANIO VOIDS THE REPAINT WARRENTY and at least here in our local paints shops Sal Said it does not hold much weight with the warranty claims.

As my 6 year old granddaughter would say as she was jumping up and down.

ZANIO VOIDS THE REPAINT WARRENTY

Your 6 year old grandaughter would probably spell Zaino and warranty that way too.

Using Zaino may void the paint warranty if Zaino would cause a problem.
But using Zaino wouldn't cause a problem.
Using Zaino didn't cause any paint problems for me and others here..

Why no problem with Zaino?

That's why!

Last edited by 69er; 05-25-2005 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:37 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

“ Note: The body-shop/paint manufactures know their products; seek their advice so as not to void any warranty given”.

As stated the bottom line is the warranty given and the conditions one must comply with not to void it

I guess to ensure compliance you’d have to ask the paint shop to supply a product (safest method) or ask for a list of chemicals that shouldn’t be used on the paint
Old 05-25-2005, 11:22 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

I would like to retract the statement that the bulliten said Zanio. What it did list is paint show safe glazes that should be used during the first 60 days and list several. Zanio was never mention by name on the bulletin.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:34 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Zaino's makeup fits the same requirement as those glazes...no wax or silicone.

Can we drop this argument and agree that *opinions* differ? Follow you painter's advice regarding specific products and/or use what YOU want, when you want.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I would like to retract the statement that the bulliten said Zanio. What it did list is paint show safe glazes that should be used during the first 60 days and list several. Zanio was never mention by name on the bulletin.
So I'm guessing that you are not going to answer my question about why you shouldn't use Zaino. You did say it was OK to use a glaze and offer some cut and paste stuff as to why body shops use a glaze but still haven't explained why you can't use Zaino. You have skirted the question like a politician running for office. My quess is that you can't tell me why Zaino is not OK, only that it is not recommended by name.

Remember..it was YOU that said that it was "the worst advice anyone could give" when suggested that you could use Zaino on a freshly painted car. All I want you to do is back it up with fact, not your opinion and explain why......

Additionally after reading you post on glazes I'm more convinced to use Zaino or other polymer products that do not contain abrasives. As glazes contain abrasives I wouldn't want to put that on my brand new paint job and abrade the surface if it was in perfect condition.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Anthony Orosco
Instructor

It's not just Zaino that can be applied to a fresh re-paint but any wax that doesn't contain solvents and abrasives.

What is gassing off? Well besides hundreds of Taco Bell lunch time munchers, solvents in the fresh paint are gassing off. What are they gassing off through? Well they are gassing off through paint. So if they can gas off through a clear coat they can surely gas off through wax.

Just make sure the wax contains no solvents and/or abrasives and you can apply them within hours......there is really no need for that though but one should within 24 hours.

Anthony

Quick Reply: Zaino (Or anything else)... How Soon After (Re)Painting