Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black car... needs help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 11:48 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Black car... needs help...

I've owned a black car before, but I was that car's first owner and did the proper wash/dry procedure, so the Volvo never developed ANY microscratches or spiderwebs.

I am the second owner on my Vette, though, and she has all sorts of crazy swirls, curvy microscratches, and spiderwebs. I only notice when direct light hits the paint, but it drives a perfectionist like myself insane (ESPECIALLY since my last black Volvo was PERFECT after 7000 miles).

Also, I don't know the best method of cleaning the wheels... I'm not sure if they're polished or chrome (yeah, make fun of me ).

Any advice on detailing would be appreciated! I'm wondering if a nice wash, dry, wax would get some out. Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks.

Here she is:
Old 09-08-2005, 01:07 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

To remove swirls, you will need a paint polish. It will be most effective and efficient by buffer/polisher. There are lots of threads on here about the PC 7424/7336, foam pads, and paint polishes. A good kit to look at is this one: http://autogeek.net/hk7424.html

To keep those swirls gone once they're removed, you need good supplies and techniques. I recommend a quality genuine sheepskin mitt like the Eurow brand found at Wal-Mart. You will also need some quality towels. I have the best success with www.dftowel.com , www.pakshak.com , and www.fiber-works.com

When washing, use a seperate bucket and mitt for tires and wheels (which are polished and clearcoated, so you treat them like paint), and wash them first to prevent water spots on the paint.

When washing the paint, use two buckets...one with soapy water and the other with plain water to rinse your mitt between panels.

Always wash, dry, and wax using front to back and top to bottom motions.

Wash your towels in hot water with liquid detergent only (NO fabric softener), rinse them twice, and dry them on LOW heat.

Your overall detailing process should go something like this:

Wash
Claybar
Wash
Polish with abrasive and/or cleaner
Wax/Seal
Old 09-08-2005, 03:41 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Excellent advice Zane...

The wheels on your C6 are Polished Aluminum that are clear coated and should be treated just like all your other paint.

On black I highly recommend going with Zaino products, Z2 Pro and Z8 cannot be beat for giving you that deeeeep wettttt BLAAAAACK look and is unsurpassed for its durability. Zaino Fusion is great for removing those fine scratches and swirls and works great by hand as well as PC and Rotary. Zaino Z9 and Z10 Leather Conditioner/Cleaners work awesome and leave your interior smelling just like new leather.

I also recommend drying with a 200mph leaf blower (the less you touch the paint the better) and www.pakshak.com for their Waffle Weave Drying towels to get the remaining water the leaf blower did not remove and www.dftowel.com towels for wiping off my Zaino.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:22 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

One more vote for Zaino - because your car is black.
Just did my first black car with Zaino last weekend -- WOWWWW!
unbelieveable gloss, perfect finish, great shine.

I get very good results on my Victory Red Vette, but it's nowhere near as striking as the results on Black. I really think you might debate using Zaino, NXT on light colors, but on black I'm convinced there's only one choice.

The Z5 WILL cover very minor light scratches and cobwebbing. So you don't have to go crazy making the paint perfect before applying Z5. No matter what I did, I couldn't make the finish perfect, but once I put 3 layers of Z5/ZFx on it, the results now ARE perfect.

For removing the swirls, my best weapon is the PC 7424 and 3M 39002 fine cut rubbing compound. I believe it is more abrasive than the Zaino product. you might try Zaino PC fusion first, and if it doesn't work, go to 3M. try a white pad first with either product, and if it doesn't work, you might try the orange pad.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:04 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't expect miracles from the filling properties of Z5. It only has *slight* fillers.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:46 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...01&forum_id=10

Black cars definitely need a little more care and caress as the color will not hide the flaws that certain other colors might. While everyone is quick to offer the product of choice, it really becomes your weekly regimine in keeping the car up.

For example, are you washing weekly ?? What types of towels, rags, and wash mitts do you use ?? Do you press down hard or glide across the finish ?? Do you find yourself circling while waxing and drying or do you follow straight across each panel ?? Do you blott , blow, or even dry at all ?? Do you even own or want to own a buffer ??

Black cars detailed properly will take on a mirror finish. You can see reflections and in most cases the bad orange peel of GM paint. (wet sanding will somewhat reduce that). So in closing I would suggest starting a new regimine of weekly cleaning, monthly or bi-monthly waxing/sealing, and learning to clay, and polish when needed. If you want hints off line, please PM me

P.S. Your wheels appear to be factory polished, which is has been clearcoated for protection. Treat them like the paint , and never use a metal polish !
Old 09-09-2005, 09:57 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Don't expect miracles from the filling properties of Z5. It only has *slight* fillers.

I agree -- if you can not see the swrils then Z5 does a really good job of covering them up.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:48 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 58Vette65
I agree -- if you can not see the swrils then Z5 does a really good job of covering them up.
Or you could just hide them with tons of oils from a product like Pinnacle Souveran, that is until your first wash or 48 hours when the oils evaporate.

Last edited by agentf1; 09-09-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:42 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

58vet65 huh?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:10 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...01&forum_id=10
... What types of towels, rags, and wash mitts do you use ?? Do you press down hard or glide across the finish ?? Do you find yourself circling while waxing and drying or do you follow straight across each panel ?? Do you blott , blow, or even dry at all ?? ...
yes -- I'm still learning that is really the key to everything. Words of widsom. It's really amazing how much damage you can do by SCRUBBING the paint with ANYTHING - even a fancy microfiber towel. I'm learning from my mistakes. now just glide a lambs wool mitt over the car, barely touching it. Waffle weave to dry, then only cotton for any detailing, wax removal, or buffing. I'm soured on microfiber by all the damage I previously did.

BTW, Zaino is the only place I've seen recommending to "wax" in straight lines. Is this just a good idea no matter what sealant or wax I'm using?
Old 09-10-2005, 07:46 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bugman
is the only place I've seen recommending to "wax" in straight lines. Is this just a good idea no matter what sealant or wax I'm using?

I believe personally that you will introduce less swirling and marring if you learn to wax/seal while following the natural flow of air across the finish of your car. That said, keeping pads clean and not using a pad that "might" have been dropped is also necessary. One grain of sand on even a small foamy, will introduce some marring that will need to be repolished and resealed. It is however very hard at first to stop waxing in circular motions like we were taught or watched our fathers do
Old 09-11-2005, 11:31 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks
Old 09-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Reevo
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bugman,,, what brand of cotton towels are you using? I too am having trouble finding towels that do not cause swirls on my Lemans Blue C5. It's not black, but the next closest color to it. I tried buying hi-quality 100% cotton made in USA towels from Bed Bath Beyond. But when I shine my halogen worklights on the car, I saw them causing swirls. Then I went to the same quality microfibers that you were using and same thing. Since Canon Fieldcrest no longer exists, where are you guys getting cotton towels that definitely will not cause swirls?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:31 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Reevo
Hey Bugman,,, what brand of cotton towels are you using? I too am having trouble finding towels that do not cause swirls on my Lemans Blue C5. It's not black, but the next closest color to it. I tried buying hi-quality 100% cotton made in USA towels from Bed Bath Beyond. But when I shine my halogen worklights on the car, I saw them causing swirls. Then I went to the same quality microfibers that you were using and same thing. Since Canon Fieldcrest no longer exists, where are you guys getting cotton towels that definitely will not cause swirls?
most of us have moved away from even 100% cotton towels to microfibers anyways. You will need several waffle weaves (for drying), and several small towels for polishing (dark green). I even use the Miracle Towel from Cobra (blue) for washing. Here is a link, and forum discount applies, might wanna consider a kit.

http://www.autogeek.net/mictow.html
Old 09-12-2005, 01:25 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The recommendation for the application of wax in one direction;
This application technique affects the paints optical properties by optimising light refraction and the reflectivity of the bodylines and contours of the vehicle.
JonM
Old 09-17-2005, 09:27 AM
thecatmac
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I am just going to have to buy Zaino!

Get notified of new replies

To Black car... needs help...

Quick Reply: Black car... needs help...