Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Rejex on the way, what should I wash the car with?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 12:17 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Rejex on the way, what should I wash the car with?

I've used Zaino in the past, but just got so physically tired of all the different steps, and it took too much of my time which should be spent DRIVING! I've had the Z for 4 days now and am anxiously waiting for the Rejex bottle to arrive. What carwash soap should I use? The car was rained on at the dealership so it has the typical rainspots/waterspots and dust that got trapped inside. In the past, when I used Zaino products, I also used their carwash soap (forgot the number: Z-something). I read elsewhere on the forum that many people use Dawn dishwashing detergent. Does it have to be Dawn brand? Or any dishwashing detergent will do? Also, what do you guys dry the water with? Synthetic or natural chamois?

Thanks,
Old 10-25-2005, 12:26 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Dawn is meant for a one time use to strip old wax off the surface. It shouldn't be used again after that.

You can use any wash you like and any QD you like.

For drying, I recommend sheeting the water off the car with the hose, using an electric leaf blower, and/or buying some high quality waffle weave drying towels ( www.pakshak.com ).

FWIW, you should perform the same prep work before using Rejex that you would before using Zaino. Prep work is prep work no matter what product you choose.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:54 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
I've used Zaino in the past, but just got so physically tired of all the different steps, and it took too much of my time which should be spent DRIVING! I've had the Z for 4 days now and am anxiously waiting for the Rejex bottle to arrive. What carwash soap should I use? The car was rained on at the dealership so it has the typical rainspots/waterspots and dust that got trapped inside. In the past, when I used Zaino products, I also used their carwash soap (forgot the number: Z-something). I read elsewhere on the forum that many people use Dawn dishwashing detergent. Does it have to be Dawn brand? Or any dishwashing detergent will do? Also, what do you guys dry the water with? Synthetic or natural chamois?

Thanks,
What are all of these laborous steps everybody talks about? I have been using Zaino for years and all I do is wipe on and wipe off. I can do my car in 20 minutes. Am I missing something? Do you do a certian dance before and after you apply or what?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:09 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by agentf1
What are all of these laborous steps everybody talks about? I have been using Zaino for years and all I do is wipe on and wipe off. I can do my car in 20 minutes. Am I missing something? Do you do a certian dance before and after you apply or what?
Let's see: Zaino has different bottles with different numbers on them. I remember having to mix a few drops out of a small bottle with some other Zaino liquid. And then there's the showcar polish, and the sealer. Sorry but I don't remember the exact bottle number.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Kevin V
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rapid, it sounds like you don't know much about Zaino. Different products with Z #'s, come on, it's clay, wash, polish (sealant), detailer, it isn't like a person doesn't use any car wash, or clay when needed, or a detailer with any other product. And the 30 seconds, twice a year, to add a couple drops, yeah that is really tough and time consuming.

My son can wash his car, dry it, apply 2 coats of polish and use the detailer to finish it in less than 90 minutes, total. How in the world is that TOO time consuming. Since it lasts so long, you don't even have to do it very often, unless you just like to.

Still, I'd also like to know "exactly" what are the laborous steps with Zaino??? Please be specific.

Last edited by Kevin V; 10-25-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Bill97Z
Instructor

If you have zaino on the car a dawn wash will not strip it. If you are looking to strip the car down and start fresh with a new product you might need a paint cleanser or light polish.

I too don't understand your frustration with all these so called "zaino steps." Most other products consist of just the wax or sealant, but you also have to wash the car with some kind of car wash and perhaps even use a quick detailing type spray. There are no requirements with zaino.....if you want to just use the zaino sealant by itself just like you use most other products, go for it. That is one product, wipe on, wipe off and you are done. Zaino, however takes things a step foward so there is no guessing with product compatibility and offers a car wash, and spray detailer,etc,etc, that work as a system. Using these products in conjuction with the sealant just increases the results.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Kevin V
Pro

Go over the surface with a paint cleaner or even rubbing alcohol. Then clay the surface. If you still have water spots, try using white vinegar to remove them. If that doesn't work you may need to use a mild abrasive to remove all the water spots.

Once you have the surface completely prepped, then begin applying Rejex or whatever product you decide to use.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:22 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

It's been over 2 years since I've used Zaino products, so forgive me if I don't remember the product numbers. What I do remember is that everytime I washed the 02 Z06, it took about 2.5 hours. OK, I just went to the zaino website to get product info. These were my steps:

[1] Z-7 Show Car Wash, about 30 minutes with different rags/mitts appropriate for the particular suface on the car and the wheels.

[2] Clay, about 45 minutes.

[3] Wash again after claying.

[4] Z-1 Show Car Polish Lok, apply on the entire car, about 30 minutes

[5] Z-2 Show Car Polish, apply on the entire car, about 30 minutes

[6] ZFX: this came out after I bought everything else. Of course I followed instructions, and did not use Z-1 anymore, and mixed it with the other polish, using their little vials.

[7] Vacuum

After a while, I just went straight from washing to show car polish, skipping the polish lok.

Well, now that I've laid out the steps I can see things could've been done faster. Maybe I was just too picky, wanting to clean every nook and cranny on the car. What I'm hoping to do now is wash (maybe 15 minutes), apply Rejex (30 minutes), and wipe it off (15 minutes) for a total of 60 minutes. Also get some type of clear bra installed, to cut down on the claying time. Anyways, I don't mean to say anything bad about Zaino or anything good about Rejex.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Kevin V
Pro

Your steps are including surface prep, including the claying and extra wash. Like ZFX, Z-1 was only used the first time and then twice a year after that.

Oh well, no biggie. Everyone knows how we Zaino "Zealots" are in defending the big "Z"!!!!

The main thing is trying different products to see what YOU like best. Good luck getting the surface properly prepped and getting rid of all the water-spots, hope they come off easily.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:39 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kevin V
Your steps are including surface prep, including the claying and extra wash. Like ZFX, Z-1 was only used the first time and then twice a year after that.

Oh well, no biggie. Everyone knows how we Zaino "Zealots" are in defending the big "Z"!!!!

The main thing is trying different products to see what YOU like best. Good luck getting the surface properly prepped and getting rid of all the water-spots, hope they come off easily.

I'll probably still come back to Zaino, since I really liked the result. I now realize that I was doing the Z1 every time I washed the car, instead of twice a year. Guess I just wanted to go all out every time.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Bill97Z
Instructor

Yeah the prep you mentioned should be done prior to applying any product the first time. With zaino there is no need to apply after any wash, that is the beauty of it.

Get notified of new replies

To Rejex on the way, what should I wash the car with?

Quick Reply: Rejex on the way, what should I wash the car with?