Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Cleaning C5 Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 05:28 PM
WHRITZY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning C5 Wheels

Just got finished washing my wife's C5 for the first time.....I'm ready for any advice someone can give me on how to get the inside of the chrome wheels clean w/o scraping your knuckle's and hands on brake calipers, etc.

Are you using a special shaped brush?

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2001, 05:46 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Default Re: Cleaning C5 Wheels (WHRITZY)

You can get one of those sponge thingys (for lack of a better word) with a handle made for washing dishes and cleaning out glasses, it has a handle about a foot long with strangs of foam on the end in a ball, I buy them at Big Lots 3 for .79. :lol:
Old 08-09-2001, 07:45 PM
zephyr9
Instructor

Found this dash duster from Target ($3)- works great around and behind the calipers; last forever too. Look-

Old 08-09-2001, 08:45 PM
MySea6
Melting Slicks

I use a "Wheel Wooly" from PeP Boys to wash (get two, one
for Zaino) and a small Cal Duster for maintenance.
Old 08-10-2001, 06:31 PM
mozin
Melting Slicks

Go to a "janitorial supply" store and buy a toilet bowl brush that has a non-abrasive white puffball cleaning end fastened to about a 10 inch plastic handle. It should cost less than $2. You will need to roll the car half a tire rotation to finish cleaning the wheel area that was originally covered by the calipers. :yesnod:

Tom
Old 08-11-2001, 10:56 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Default Re: Cleaning C5 Wheels (mozin)

Just a tip for ease in future cleanings: Once your wheels are clean, apply a quality sealant (not a wax) to them. Not only does this offer protection to the rims, and give a very nice gloss, but it also makes cleaning brake dust/dirt/road grime, etc. extremely easy. Klasse Sealant Glaze does an outstanding job in this area.

I know that many people apply a carnauba wax to their rims with the hopes of offering protection to them. While their intentions are good, a wax is simply not able to withstand the very high temperatures that a rim sees. It's fracture point is lower than that of a sealant, and therefore a sealant would offer you far better protection.

Just some food for thought. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning C5 Wheels

Quick Reply: Cleaning C5 Wheels