Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black Vette!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 04:40 PM
happa
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Black Vette!!

Ok I just got my car painted, Black, and I want to know how to not put swirl marks and other scratches on it when you wash it?? Its not a daily driver so it never sees rain, except if I get caught in it. Please let me know what to use?!! Thanks!
Old 02-16-2006, 05:00 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Supplies recommended:

- high quality sheepskin mitt - I use Eurow brand
- high lubricity soap - Zaino Z7, Meguiar's NXT soap, etc.
- high quality microfiber towels (waffle weave for drying)
- 200+ mph leaf blower
- 3 buckets

Method:

- use a dedicated bucket and mitt for wheels/tires/wells
- wash wheels/tires/wells first
- wash paint using two buckets - one for soap solution and one with plain water to rinse mitt in between panels
- gently wash the paint from the top, down
- wash/dry/wax using straight motions (not circular) and using light strokes
- after thoroughly washing, remove the nozzle from the hose and let a gentle stream of water run over each panel causing the majority of the water to sheet off
- dry the vehicle using the leaf blower and finish up by gently patting dry any remaining water with the waffle weave towel

After that, you can dress the wells and tires and use a quick detailer to top off the "look."

Last edited by ZaneO; 02-16-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:09 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Supplies recommended:

- high quality sheepskin mitt - I use Eurow brand
- high lubricity soap - Zaino Z7, Meguiar's NXT soap, etc.
- high quality microfiber towels (waffle weave for drying)
- 200+ mph leaf blower
- 3 buckets

Method:

- use a dedicated bucket and mitt for wheels/tires/wells
- wash wheels/tires/wells first
- wash paint using two buckets - one for soap solution and one with plain water to rinse mitt in between panels
- gently wash the paint from the top, down
- wash/dry/wax using straight motions (not circular) and using light strokes- after thoroughly washing, remove the nozzle from the hose and let a gentle stream of water run over each panel causing the majority of the water to sheet off
- dry the vehicle using the leaf blower and finish up by gently patting dry any remaining water with the waffle weave towel

After that, you can dress the wells and tires and use a quick detailer to top off the "look."

I am looking to try out a foam gun also .. as I hear that the prewash helps to lift dirt up and away and lubricates the finish for those stubborn spots that would not float away. I also outlined one of the most important facts .... circles are NOT good with washing, polishing, removal, or QD'ing.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,098 Likes on 2,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
circles are NOT good with washing, polishing, removal, or QD'ing.
Which are the best and safest waxes, polishes and sealants to use on Black that do not contain any abrasives?
Old 02-16-2006, 08:21 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
Which are the best and safest waxes, polishes and sealants to use on Black that do not contain any abrasives?
There are tons of choices out there, but no one but you can determine what's "best"...

Zaino Z2 Pro and Z5, Tropi-Care TC3, Pinnacle Souveran, Mother's, S100, and on, and on, and on.

Zaino refers to itself as a polish, but ZPC is their only abrasive product. Otherwise, most "polishes" are abrasive.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,098 Likes on 2,058 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaneO
There are tons of choices out there, but no one but you can determine what's "best"...

Zaino Z2 Pro and Z5, Tropi-Care TC3, Pinnacle Souveran, Mother's, S100, and on, and on, and on.

Zaino refers to itself as a polish, but ZPC is their only abrasive product. Otherwise, most "polishes" are abrasive.
My choice is Griot's Best of Show wax or their Carnauba Paste wax.

Originally Posted by happa
I want to know how to not put swirl marks and other scratches on it when you wash it?? Its not a daily driver so it never sees rain, except if I get caught in it. Please let me know what to use?!!

Griot's Best of Show wax and DF 100% cotton microfiber towels, wash mit and applicator will not put any swirls in your paint happa.

Last edited by Mike98SilVert; 02-16-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:58 PM
happa
Safety Car

Thanks everyone, that will help me out a lot! Thats a lot of information, looks like a long Saturday is in my future!
Old 02-17-2006, 05:33 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

great info above.
just to pile on:

yes, ONLY a sheepskin mitt - nothing else
sheet the water off with the nozzle-less rinse trick, so you have to do minimal hand drying (or none at all if you use a blower). I do use a Cobra waffle weave towel for dryiing - only very light contact. I only use 100% cotton towels for any detailing.

Definitely keep an open mind with your selants and waxes.
  • killrwheels has a killer look with Pinnacle Souveran
  • The poor man's version of that is Meguiars #26 - fantastic carnauba
  • Rejex - very popular here
  • NXT - overrated in my opinion. Excellent appearance, but limited durability and attracts dust
  • Zaino - the man to beat. tops in durability - about 6 months for me

just have to say - if you read all these posts and think Zaino is difficult, it isn't . Do NOT stay away from it for that reason. Much easier to apply than a carnauba. Make sure you eventually try a good synthetic sealant like Rejex or Zaino - you'll gain so much in durability that you'll really be glad.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:22 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
as ZaneO has said, polishes are always going to be abrasive in nature and can also be used successfully on black cars. I believe though, that you are looking for the best last stage protectants. In no particular order:

sealants -- Wolfgang, Werkstatt, Z, Four Starr UPP, Klasse
carnubas -- Pinnacle Souveran, Pinnacle Sig Series, Nattys Blue, P21S

this is a combo of two coats of UPP, and one coat of Souveran. Since the Pinnacle (a carnuba) was the last product used, I keep it up with Pinnacles Crystal Mist.

This pic while dark, shows the reflective nature on the side. It is a combo of Four Starr UPP and Nattys Blue.

I would also highly suggest getting used to using QD'ers and microfibers after each wash, and inbetween when necessary to remove smudges, dirt, and birdie doo-doo. These towels wont scratch and will help move dirt, wax, and polish up and away from the finish.

carnubas --- Pinnacle Crystal Mist, Clearkote, FK1 425, Mothers Showtime, Poorboys Spray and Gloss
sealants --- Sonus Acylic Spritz, Werkstatt Acrylic Gloss, Z6, Z8, FK1 425, Wolfgang Spray Sealant, Poorboys Spray and Gloss

I wish we carried them all, but they are some of the best of the best and would be considered fine for your aersonal. I also highly suggest a PC Random Orbital if you have not gotten one yet.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 02-17-2006 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:00 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Almost all my cars are black and it is somewhat of a hobby of mine trying different car care products. I can honestly say that I have used just about every one of the products mentioned on this forum and they all seem to have their own strengths and weaknesses. Everybody also seems to have there own needs, some prefer looks and others durability or protection and some ease of use. On my vette looks is my #1 priority and on my daily drivers durability is my concern and I think it is human nature to want to get it done with the least amount of effort. With that being said I use Zaino on all my cars. I have found NOTHING that looks as good on black as well as on my silver L. It also seems to last longer than anything I have tried. It is also a complete system from wash to polish to QD and you can use all or just some pending on your preference. One coat is also all it takes to blow away the competition but if you like you can keep layering coats and it just keeps getting better and better. I guess you CAN have your cake and eat it too.

It is ZAINO all the way for me.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Markm10431
Omega Aficianado

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

one thing I do when washing is follow the same thought as to applying my polish.. I dont use ANY circular motions straight forward and back, or up and down on the verticals.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:17 PM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad you got your car back brian! I believe you recieved as good of information as you can, so no need for me to elaborate,lol. Saturday hopefully will be a good day to do a little to mine also. BTW, seen you pass by today! I also got my wifes jeep back from getting painted a couple weeks ago. I have to wait 3-4 weeks for the paint to completely cure before I wash it though. Did your painter tell you about this? I'm waiting a little longer, but I believe he said around 2-3 weeks for proper curing as the paint is still a little soft.

Last edited by NVTHIS; 02-27-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:55 AM
gringoray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z2Pro Z8 and ZPC

Gentlemen -

A few questions....

I already have Z2 and Z5 and Z6.

Do I need Z2Pro Z8 and ZPC?

Thank you.

ps. Killrwheels@Autogeek- I added you as a sponsor on GringoTalk, if your interested in seeing the link, pm me.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:14 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

yes - most definitely.
you haven't really seen the zaino POP until you've used Z2Pro topped with Z8. Z8 will really blow away the Z6.

Personally I'm not using much Z-PC, but the other two products are essential to life
Old 02-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Also the ZFX to add to the Z2Pro,or Z5, makes applications much more easier(drying times cut in half, to say the least)which allows you to add more coats in a days work.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:57 PM
happa
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NVTHIS
Glad you got your car back brian! I believe you recieved as good of information as you can, so no need for me to elaborate,lol. Saturday hopefully will be a good day to do a little to mine also. BTW, seen you pass by today! I also got my wifes jeep back from getting painted a couple weeks ago. I have to wait 3-4 weeks for the paint to completely cure before I wash it though. Did your painter tell you about this? I'm waiting a little longer, but I believe he said around 2-3 weeks for proper curing as the paint is still a little soft.
Sorry man I havent stop by. Been crazy busy. I'll try to stop by with the vette. So you can see the new paint job. Who painted yours? Yea my guy told me that too. I have to take it back to one last buff and a hand glaze and he said it will look wet! Cant wait, cause it looks good now I cant imagine what its going to look like in a couple of weeks. Hey that sucked about the rain Sat and Sun to cancel the race. I was hopin got see ya and the Z!! I'll stop by soon

Get notified of new replies

To Black Vette!!

Quick Reply: Black Vette!!