Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

how to remove alkaline stains on polished valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 11:10 PM
lord vette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to remove alkaline stains on polished valve covers

i was spraying some "castrol"engine cleaner on some of mine engine parts.anyway some of the water and such sprayed on my valve covers.it left tiny little spots all over the covers that i tried with "mothers chrome"polish to get out.to no avail :( .maybe a clay bar may help?it got on my A/C canister so since mother couldnt take out the stain on that ,i just got some 000 steel wool and then applied the mothers..wow what a shine :D .but when i tried the same technic on the covers...nothing.i think they have a protective coating of clear.Maybe that "white vinegar"solution trick might work :confused: any ideas?
Old 08-11-2001, 08:08 AM
georgehafe
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In 1, 2, 6, 8 Veteran

Default Re: how to remove alkaline stains on polished valve covers (lord vette)

Lord, I would give the white vinegar a try. Put some on a cotton cloth and rub it in.. Although if a metal polish didn't remove it (very abrasive) I don't know if this will work. Good Luck :confused:
Old 08-11-2001, 12:08 PM
forrest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: how to remove alkaline stains on polished valve covers (georgehafe)

Chrome Polish is for chrome, and the valve covers aren't which might explain why it didn't work.

You could try aluminum polish, if the valve covers are alloy and don't have a clear coat on them.

Rub a small amount of the aluminum polish on - it should start turning black immediately. Failure to turn black means there is a coating between the alloy and the polish.

In that case, the white vinegar/water 50/50 mix might work.

Get notified of new replies

To how to remove alkaline stains on polished valve covers

Quick Reply: how to remove alkaline stains on polished valve covers