Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Few Last Questions Before First Detail

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Rich_71Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few Last Questions Before First Detail

I am about ready for the first detail of my 71 coupe and have a few last questions.

My questions:

I will be using Megs 26 paste since I have it around, can I use the PC to remove the wax? If so, what type of pad or a MF bonnet over a pad?

Is it necessary to wash after the clay step?

I plan the following:

Wash (Dawn or Megs) car wash - Since I am using Menzerna, I don't think I need the Dawn.

Clay - Megs or Mothers

Menzerna IP and Final Polish

A couple coats of Megs 26.

I will try Turtle wax Ice on the chrome bumpers (I love those bumpers!)

I have also heard you can use Megs Show Glaze (#6 or 7, I can't remember the number) after wax, any opinions on this?
Old 04-14-2006, 10:30 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I am about ready for the first detail of my 71 coupe and have a few last questions.

My questions:

I will be using Megs 26 paste since I have it around, can I use the PC to remove the wax? If so, what type of pad or a MF bonnet over a pad?

I always like removing wax or polish by hand but it can be done by machine, it is a personal preference.

Is it necessary to wash after the clay step?

I usually use soap and water as my lube and do it after I wash while car is still wet so I usually just hose and dry. I hose periodically to keep the whole car wet and prevent spots while claying also. If I use a QD as a lube it depends on if I am polishing afterwards or not. If I am going right to Zaino and used a QD that is not compatible I will wash first.

I plan the following:

Wash (Dawn or Megs) car wash - Since I am using Menzerna, I don't think I need the Dawn.

No need for Dawn.

Clay - Megs or Mothers

Mothers or Zaino is my favorite clay.

Menzerna IP and Final Polish

A couple coats of Megs 26.

More than one coat of #26 is a waste IMHO, most carnuabas are not really layerable like some sealants. Other than complete coverage I see no advantage. It won't hurt anything either so if you think it helps go for it. I know Souveran says you can add a second layer but I have never seen any difference in looks or durability. I think the second coat is better if applied after the next wash.

I will try Turtle wax Ice on the chrome bumpers (I love those bumpers!)

I have also heard you can use Megs Show Glaze (#6 or 7, I can't remember the number) after wax, any opinions on this?

Glazes like #5 or #7 should be used BEFORE the wax. The wax will seal in the fillers in the glaze. I suspect the glaze would remove your wax if put on second since some glazes have some mild cleaners and abrasives. So if you are going to glaze do it first. Then follow up with your wax and there is your two coats.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:39 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Meg's #7 glaze + #26 carnauba is an excellent combination. definitely put the glaze on before the wax. A second coat of wax is only helpful if you think you might have missed a few spots the first time.

I do wash again (using any wash that's handy) after clay - just to remove the clay residue.

Also I put another vote in for
  • apply the wax with PC - makes the job REALLY easy with Meg's #26. By hand, that can be lots of work
  • remove by hand. You'll just gum up your pad or bonnet if you try to do it by machine, and not save any time.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Rich_71Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice.

Am I planning the correct PC pads?

1. Orange for MIP to remove light swirls.
2. White for MFP.
3. White or Grey/Black for #7 glaze and #26 paste

The orange and white came with the Menzerna kit I ordered, so I think these are correct from all I have learned recently.

Use a microfiber by hand to remove all applications?

Get notified of new replies

To Few Last Questions Before First Detail

Quick Reply: Few Last Questions Before First Detail