Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Help, I drove through some freshly painted lane divider lines on the highway...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 10:22 AM
FINN II
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, I drove through some freshly painted lane divider lines on the highway...

I pulled over as soon as I could to try to wipe the paint off, but some had already dried. I was able to get the paint off my wheel wells, the black plastic section, with a strong household cleaning agent but I am reluctant to use this on my paint. I have tried my best waxes and polishes that will usually take anything off my paint, but not this. The white line paint is clumpy and it feels like I'd be able to scrape it off, but I don't want to try it for obvious reasons. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 08-21-2001, 11:01 AM
Spectre
Grand Poobah
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Help, I drove through some freshly painted lane divider lines on the highway... (FINN01)

Order som clay from zainobros.com .It will take it right off with any extra effort . Give sal a call . His number is on the site . Do even give it a second thought it'll wipe right off with clay. :cheers:
Old 08-21-2001, 11:32 AM
rubyred93
Drifting

Default Re: Help, I drove through some freshly painted lane divider lines on the highway... (vic451)

You should be able to remove the paint with an automotive clay bar. The original intent of automotive clay was to remove paint overspray, so you should have success with clay. Mother's also makes a quality clay bar. :D
Old 08-21-2001, 12:06 PM
georgehafe
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In 1, 2, 6, 8 Veteran

Default Re: Help, I drove through some freshly painted lane divider lines on the highway... (FINN01)

Yes, Clay should get the overspray rught off. Make sure you get a quality clay bar and lub it real well throughout the process.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:11 PM
FINN II
Racer

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try the clay bar. I'll let you know how it goes.
FINN
Old 08-21-2001, 03:52 PM
Thud
Team Owner

I had a whole bunch of that paint on mine-- I drove through a place where the moron road crew spilled a bucket of white road paint. :(
I actually haven't gotten it off my wheel wells yet either, gonna try that on saturday morning.
Anyway, I picked up a Mother's clay bar at Pep Boys, unfortunately they only had the whole "kit" which included their detail polish.
It didn't seem to work very well.
I switched over to using Zaino Z6 instead and it worked wonders for loosening the paint up.
What I did was soak a small section with Z6, let it sit a few seconds, and then rubbed it with the clay. It came off pretty easily.
For the lower panels where there was a lot of paint, after soaking w/Z6 I scraped a bunch of it off with a plastic putty knife, then finished up with the clay bar.
Anyway my paint looks great now (and no scratches either) but I still have the white junk on my tires and wheel wells.

Get notified of new replies

To Help, I drove through some freshly painted lane divider lines on the highway...

Quick Reply: Help, I drove through some freshly painted lane divider lines on the highway...