Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Looking for a new process - need input

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Looking for a new process - need input

I have been using NXT for a little over a year now. I like the shine it produces and how easy it is to apply/remove, but I don't like the fact it only lasts a few weeks. So I am looking to make a change. I want something easy to apply and remove by hand (I only do it by hand). Offers a great shine and last durability (4 months or more). I don't want to have to have a degree in chemistry to use it (ie. Zaino) nor do I want to wait 12+ hours to apply the next layer.

Here is my current process

1. Wash
2. Clay (if needed)
3. re-wash is clay was used
4. dry in garage away from the sun
5. NXT applied and removed

The whole process if I clay, takes me about 1.5 hours. And I don't mind spending this time, just wish I didn't have to do it every 2 weeks. (I don't clay my car every 2 weeks, only when I feel crap on my paint). I had a bottle of Meg #7 show car glaze and when I applied and removed that (which was difficult - arm was tired after), the shine it left was amazing. So I know now what polish can do for me. So about 30 minutes later I applied NXT which didn't seem to really help. Maybe I didn't wait enough time between polish and wax. So here is what I am after.

- Is there something I can apply before or after NXT to increase it's durability?
- What products can I use that will give me that NXT type shine with 4+ months of protection?
- Should I move to something new?

I was looking at getting the Wolfgang Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer and the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant as a 3 step process (clean, polish, seal). For those that know or have used it:

- How long do I have to wait after applying the polish before applying the paint sealent?
- What kind of shine and protection would I get?

Thank you for any input.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:49 AM
KidCid
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Sigh...I know this is not what you want to hear but for my money, you really can't beat the durability of Zaino. It is not that big a deal to put on and you certainly don't need a degree to use it. Also after the initial application, it is incredibly simple to maintain (wash with a good soap, dry thoroughly, wipe down with Z6 or Z8). A little over an hour depending on how quickly I'm drinking the beer. If you haven't tried it yet, it's worth giving it a shot.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:01 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Here is my current process

1. Wash
2. Clay (if needed)
5. NXT applied and removed

- Is there something I can apply before or after NXT to increase it's durability?
- What products can I use that will give me that NXT type shine with 4+ months of protection?
- Should I move to something new?

- How long do I have to wait after applying the polish before applying the paint sealent?
- What kind of shine and protection would I get?

Thank you for any input.
Sounds like Zaino is exactly what you need. Also sound like you are grossly misinformed about Zaino.

Hows this for a new process...
1. Wash
2. Clay (if needed)
5. Z2 Pro applied and removed

The only place Zaino differs from NXT is you would need to pour approx 1/2 oz of product into a 2 oz bottle and add 2 or 3 drops of ZFX and shake before applying it just like you did NXT. It is approx 2 minutes extra work. Not a bad trade off for not having to wax every 2 weeks is it. If you want to do multiple coats at once you can, no waiting at all. You can also use the Z8 Spray Sealant after you wash and it will increase your durability even more than the standard Zaino which is fabulous to begin with. And you thought you needed a degree in chemistry, that wasn't that hard was it.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Zaino is great. Don't get me wrong. My C6 has been zaino'ed before. I was only being facetious about needing a degree in chemistry. I just didn't like having to mix things before using it. I just like being able to grab whatever bottle, dispense the right amount to my applicator pad and start working. Oh, and all those steps...wash then clay, then Z1 to Z2 to Z5 to Z6...oh my (and lets not talk about the "curing" time needed between those steps). My first Zaino experience took over 6 hours.

Last edited by Homer3D; 05-15-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:14 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, and all those steps...wash then clay, then Z1 to Z2 to Z5 to Z6...oh my (and lets not talk about the "curing" time needed between those steps). My first Zaino experience took over 6 hours.
Once you've washed and clayed (which you said you were doing anyway), all you have to do with Zaino is put a few drops of ZFX with some Z2 Pro and apply. With ZFX, curing is almost immediate. Don't have to do that again for 6 months to a year. Just apply a coat of Z2 Pro whenever you'd like.

If you don't want to use Zaino, that's no big deal, but it's the only product that allows you to apply (and cure) 1-3 coats without waiting and also gives you the durability you're looking for.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:47 PM
easyrider13
Melting Slicks

I
You might look into Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant.
It's the professional version of NXT, and depending on conditions you might get 3-4 months out of it.

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-liquid-...thetic-Sealant

http://autogeek.net/meguiars21.html
Old 05-15-2006, 12:56 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Zaino is great. Don't get me wrong. My C6 has been zaino'ed before. I was only being facetious about needing a degree in chemistry. I just didn't like having to mix things before using it. I just like being able to grab whatever bottle, dispense the right amount to my applicator pad and start working. Oh, and all those steps...wash then clay, then Z1 to Z2 to Z5 to Z6...oh my (and lets not talk about the "curing" time needed between those steps). My first Zaino experience took over 6 hours.
It has come a long way since you have tried it.

Z1 is no longer needed with the release of ZFX.

Z2 Pro dries much much quicker than the old version.

Z2 Pro also wipes off much easier.

I coat of Z2 Pro is all that is needed to blow NXT out of the water in both looks and durability. Multiple steps not required. I can Zaino my vette in 20 minutes. How much of that 6 hours was prep work that would have been needed anyway?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:08 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

you could add any number of sealants into the position where NXT sat. Wolfgang, Four Starr UPP, Poorboys EX-P, Z, Rejex, and all should offer more durability and glowing good looks. I suspect based on price, ease of use, and no mixing request, you might seriously like Poorboys EX-P best. Nice durability and thicker sealant that can be used in direct sunlight.

http://www.autogeek.net/pbexp16.html
Old 05-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the input. I think I have decided on this process. I am going to test it out and see how well it works.

1. Wash
2. Clay (if needed)
5. Wolfgang Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer
6. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Question...How long do I have to wait after removing #5 before I apply #6? What is the curing time for #5 and #6?

I was going to try Rejex, but I didn't like this statement on their website.
It is very important to allow RejeX to cure for 12 hours after the haze has been wiped off
Old 05-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Z06-Goose
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to try Rejex, but I didn't like this statement on their website.
It is very important to allow RejeX to cure for 12 hours after the haze has been wiped off
Basically, what that means is too keep the car away from moisture and water once you have wiped it off.
So if the weather forecast is good, or your car is kept in a garage, you'll be fine.
I have a some sample Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, I haven't tried yet, and I'd like to see your initial impressions after you've used it.
I've seen reviews, but not enough pictures.
What color is yor car?
Goose
Old 05-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z06-Goose
What color is yor car?
Goose
2005 Lemans Blue C6
2002 Black Hyundai Sonata (daily driver)
Old 05-16-2006, 07:07 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Question...How long do I have to wait after removing #5 before I apply #6? What is the curing time for #5 and #6?

Wolfgang Pre-polish enhancer is a wipe on and off type product. No real wait time. With the sealant you will want to add it to two panels then go back and wipe off each. Doesnt need an appreciable time to cure before removal. Now as Goose alluded to, allowing a sealant to sit away from water on the finish for 12-24 hours will help with durability and crosslinking.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:27 PM
C3Andrew
Advanced

Any comments/thoughts on IBES wax. I got a bottle at an autofair and used it on my "new" C3. Pretty good results I think and EASY to use. I'd been a "Mothers" fan for years. Comments please.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Stickman81
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I'm new to the car care realm, but I like the Werkstatt product line.
Like Zaino, you use very little product. Unlike Zaino there is no mixing.

Give them a read and see what you think.

http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/index2.php

Here is my car after Prime, Acrylic Jett, Acrylic Glos and a Carnauba Glos a few days later.

I drive the car on weekends and I am thinking the carnauba will last a couple of months.

After the Carnauba (and ACI chin spoiler )
Old 05-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Kevin V
Pro

I still find it "interesting" that people think the 30 seconds to add a few drops, twice a year, is SO MUCH WORK. The ZFX adds certain benefits, it isn't a MUST use everytime if those 30 seconds are killing you.

Like previously stated you can use ONLY Z-2 Pro, but now you'll still have to apply it and remove it, it just won't take as much time as whatever you're using now and you still get the great shine, protection and durability.

I can't believe how much "misinformation" is still out there about Zaino.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a new process - need input

Quick Reply: Looking for a new process - need input