Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Dog jumped on car !! What to use to remove fine scratches in clearcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 09:42 PM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog jumped on car !! What to use to remove fine scratches in clearcoat?

My dog's scared of lightning and jumped on my car in the garage scratching the front/side of the hood. the scratches are in the clearcoat and aren't deep at all.

What should i use to remove this? Im fairly familiar with waxing/polishing but not with rubbing compunds and wet sanding etc. Any info/advice is appreciated.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Tommy T-Bone
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Apply thin layer of rubbing compound. Remove with the fur from back of dog in a circular motion. Reapply as many times as needed until finsh is restored. No really, I'd try to buff them out with a product like Liquid Glass which is a car polish.

Last edited by Tommy T-Bone; 06-28-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:09 PM
timvette
Instructor

This should not be a big issue. Just use a good wax and slowly buff it out in stages. If you have to, then use a "cleaner wax" or "rubbing compound" wax (of reputable quality). I have a good wax that I trust and with a little bit of elbow grease and time, this has always worked for me on other cars. My "no name brand" wax that I trust is call "SatinGloss". Believe it or not my Dad buys it in gross from a guy at flea markets. I love the stuff and it is a lot better than the pricey Zymol, Mothers, Maguiers, etc. But use what you trust.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:18 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's just my opinion, but I would only use rubbing compund as a last resort. Rubbing compound is designed for faded paint and deep scratches and the most abrasive of compounds. I always start with the least abrasive product first. If that doesn't remove the scratch, then I try something more abrasive.

If you have a light polish or a glazing compound that you normally use, start with that. Do the area surrounding the scratch, don't just try and rub the scratch out. Step back and check your spot as compared to the rest of the paint to make sure you're not taking it down too far. You can always wax over it to see the final effect and make sure everything blends. If you don't like the results, go back and polish or use something stronger and try it again.

If you have a high speed buffer, the right pads, and know how to use it, you'll get even better results. If you don't know how to use it, you can burn your paint (been there, done that). Polishes & glazes are the least abrasive, then polishing compound. Rubbing compound would be the most abrasive. Good luck & use at your own risk.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:58 AM
DieL
Melting Slicks

thanks for the input guys. I'll get at it with polish first. i do have a good buffer and am fairly experienced with it. Just not for removing scratches or anything. I just wanted to know what not to do and I'll definitely be saving rubbing compound for last.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:07 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my own experience.
I wouldn't waste time with any hand application if you have a good machine like the PC7424. Go right at it with the PC7424, Orange pad, Menzerna Intensive polish.

I've been there many times with my c6, two cats, 2 yr old daughter . Two products of about equal quality : 3M #39002 (availabe at most auto parts stores, and NAPA) or Menzerna Intensive polish. Either can be used by hand with a soft foam applicator pad or soft terry cloth towel, but both are faster and easier by machine.

The advice above to use cleaner wax or glaze is reasonable - but really, you're only covering up the scratches, not removing them, so that the scratches will come back the next time you wash the car.

By the way - check my pics on some fantastic results with 39002 - clearcoat was severely etched from water spotting, and totally removed by hand application of 39002. my web page - c6.81x.com - click on SCRTCH/SPOT.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:41 AM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bugman
Just my own experience.
I wouldn't waste time with any hand application if you have a good machine like the PC7424. Go right at it with the PC7424, Orange pad, Menzerna Intensive polish.

I've been there many times with my c6, two cats, 2 yr old daughter . Two products of about equal quality : 3M #39002 (availabe at most auto parts stores, and NAPA) or Menzerna Intensive polish. Either can be used by hand with a soft foam applicator pad or soft terry cloth towel, but both are faster and easier by machine.

The advice above to use cleaner wax or glaze is reasonable - but really, you're only covering up the scratches, not removing them, so that the scratches will come back the next time you wash the car.

By the way - check my pics on some fantastic results with 39002 - clearcoat was severely etched from water spotting, and totally removed by hand application of 39002. my web page - c6.81x.com - click on SCRTCH/SPOT.

Awesome ! thanks Bugman ! I'll grab some 39002 tommorow and give it a try. I also do have some very slight spots from water drying... for years. Knowing that it's worked for you makes me feel much more confident in it.

On the bright side i was going to cut my dogs nails today. Thanks heavens i didnt or I would have been repainting the hood and bumper ! Im just real glad the scratches aren't worse with him being 175 lbs !
Old 06-29-2006, 09:34 AM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Do You Have Comp Coverage On Your Auto?

Originally Posted by DieL
My dog's scared of lightning and jumped on my car in the garage scratching the front/side of the hood. the scratches are in the clearcoat and aren't deep at all.

What should i use to remove this? Im fairly familiar with waxing/polishing but not with rubbing compunds and wet sanding etc. Any info/advice is appreciated.
Talk to your insurance agent - take the car and get it polished out - you should be able to use your comp coverage. I only run my C6 5-6 months during the year so I carry very low deductibles (ie., $50 on collision and comp)...
Old 06-29-2006, 09:50 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Yes, Bugman is correct, any good SSR should work. I would first try something mild like Zaino Fusion (ZPC), Menzerna FPII or 3m 39009. If that does not do it step up to something like 3M 05933 (similair to 39002 but does not contain silca which is a carcinagenic) or Menzerna IP. Worse case scenerio you may have to wet sand with some 3000 first and restore the shine with the above and a rotary but it does not sound like they are that bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Dog jumped on car !! What to use to remove fine scratches in clearcoat?

Quick Reply: Dog jumped on car !! What to use to remove fine scratches in clearcoat?