Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How often should I clay bar my finish

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Rick Bennett
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often should I clay bar my finish

Here is my car after using clay bar and several coats of NXT. How often should I use the clay on her.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-08-2006, 03:02 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice pic and beautiful car.

It just all depends on how much you drive it and how well you keep it. (garaged, covered, no rain driving, wash and dust her often.....etc...)

A good tester is to get a plastic sandwich baggy and after you wash it feel the glass or another surface and feel if it's rough at all.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Rick Bennett
Instructor

Thanks for the input. My mental therapy is detailing my car. I never get tired of bathing and pampering her.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:25 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most manufacturers colorize the plastic to identify differing abrasive strengths (i.e. Clay Magic Blue is a fine abrasive, whereas the Red is a medium abrasive) It is also very effective on paint over-spray, if the over-spray is particularly heavy, you may want to seek the assistance of a professional. http://www.claymagic.net/

a) Fine- clay that abrades or shears light surface or imbedded paint contamination and encapsulates it. This type of clay is mild enough for use.

b) Medium- clay is used to remove heavier surface contaminants (bird excrement and bug reside) it is slightly more abrasive than the fine grade and abrades the paint surface, while the clay encapsulates it

c) Medium to Heavy duty- clay is used to remove paint over-spray; it contains a slightly stronger abrasive that abrades the paint, while the clay encapsulates it
Old 09-08-2006, 04:25 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most manufacturers colorize the plastic to identify differing abrasive strengths (i.e. Clay Magic Blue is a fine abrasive, whereas the Red is a medium abrasive) It is also very effective on paint over-spray, if the over-spray is particularly heavy, you may want to seek the assistance of a professional. http://www.claymagic.net/

a) Fine- clay that abrades or shears light surface or imbedded paint contamination and encapsulates it. This type of clay is mild enough for fairly regular use.

b) Medium- clay is used to remove heavier surface contaminants (bird excrement and bug reside) it is slightly more abrasive than the fine grade and abrades the paint surface, while the clay encapsulates it

c) Medium to Heavy duty- clay is used to remove paint over-spray; it contains a slightly stronger abrasive that abrades the paint, while the clay encapsulates it
Old 09-08-2006, 04:49 PM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

I claybar all of my cars AT LEAST once a year.

I "spot claybar" throughout the year.

If you enjoy keeping "the look" like it was right off the show room floor, you won't have difficulty getting motivated.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:10 PM
SMR 67
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

How many coats of NXT do you typically put on? Do you see a marked improvement with more than one coat?

I usually just put one coat of NXT on and have been pleased with the results. Unlike a carnuba or Rejex, doesn't a second coat of NXT take off some of the first due to the nature of the product?

Old 09-09-2006, 07:25 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, NXT has light cleaners/abrasives which negate the effects of layering.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:27 PM
beachy1975
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by SMR 67
How many coats of NXT do you typically put on? Do you see a marked improvement with more than one coat?

I usually just put one coat of NXT on and have been pleased with the results. Unlike a carnuba or Rejex, doesn't a second coat of NXT take off some of the first due to the nature of the product?

Some people put 2-3 coats of wax or sealant on their cars to produce a depth to the shine.

Personally, I prefer Klasse over NXT. Klasse was designed to withstand the harsh conditions of German winters. It's pricier than Meg's or most other products, but IMHO, it's worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To How often should I clay bar my finish

Quick Reply: How often should I clay bar my finish