Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

clay bar question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 06:25 AM
AZ Curmudgeon
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clay bar question

I just recieved my order of zaino products including clay bar,however I didn't think to order zaino car wash.Is there anything else that will work as well to lubricate the paint without reducing the effectiveness of the clay bar or comprimise the clear coat?

thanks,mitch
Old 10-24-2001, 08:36 AM
stevenll
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: clay bar question (another mitch)

Before I got Z-7 I used a Dawn and water mix (1 capful to a bottle). It worked fine. Put it in an old Windex spray bottle and go to it. Just make sure you use plenty of lube and no pressure on the claybar. Just let it slide over the surface. You'll be amazed at how smooth it leaves your paint.
Old 10-24-2001, 10:24 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: clay bar question (stevenll)

I didn't use Z7 when I clayed mine. Matter of fact, I got lazy and incorporated it into the wash step. Washed a panel with Dawn and rinsed, then clayed that panel using the same soapy water as the lubricant, another swipe with the dawn to remove any clay smears and a final rinse. Seemed to work fine. I should mention that I started with a very clean (new) car, so I didn't have any concerns about abrasive grit in my wash water.
Old 10-24-2001, 03:16 PM
edz
Instructor

Default Re: clay bar question (another mitch)

Most any soap/car wash can be used for claying, just make sure that it does not contain wax. (poducts like Zip-Wash) and as mentioned above use plenty of lube - you cannot overlube, but you can be to dry. You should get the Z7 for washing in the future.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:36 PM
White Lightning
Pro

Default Re: clay bar question (edz)

Can someone explain to me how the clay works? I clayed my car a few months back, starting at the hood. Used Z-7 as a lube according to directions previously posted on the Forum. Lots of lube, no pressure. Didn't notice any result. Around the tailpiece, I applied light pressure. Got scuff marks in my paint.

So now I'm wondering just how the clay is supposed to work. If you have lube and no pressure, how does the clay remove any surface contamination when the lube is fundamentally a barrier between the clay and the paint?

(As an aside, the clay is great stuff for cleaning glass.)

-WL

I miss my Mercury Cougar (Mellankamp) ... but my aim is getting better.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:04 PM
AZ Curmudgeon
Le Mans Master

Default Re: clay bar question (edz)

thanks for the help guy's,i was hoping to do this little project this weekend but i have to work :bs .
i cant wait to see the improvement zaino makes.

mitch

Get notified of new replies

To clay bar question

Quick Reply: clay bar question