Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Do you want to wax or polish your vette?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:27 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mrosa65
Typo on the website perhaps ? I know it says it should take 10-15 minutes.

Here's an idea, instead of picking at every little thing on the Zaino website and what posters here state, why not give Zaino a call directly and I'm sure someone there would love to answer all of your questions. If you're satisfied with what you hear, you can even place an order and try the products for yourself.

Their number is 732-833-8800
Sal is a great guy to talk with and has always answered all my questions I've asked.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 PM
03gtmustang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to get all defensive mrosa65. Im simply asking questions trying to learn about the product from people who use it. Isnt that what forums are for? No one is forcing you to answer my questions. So stop if its anoying you.

Sure I can call up Sal, but Id be calling every day because new questions come up all the time. Im sure Sal has better things to do then talk to me.

Thanks for the reply Josh. I figured ZFX was meant to shorten the cure time, however, thats not what it says on the site. So that didnt make much sense to me.

As for fillers in an abrasive polish. XMT 360 is the exact same thing. Poorboys also has something very similar, so does Optimum and Chemical Guys. Cleans, corrects minor stuff, and provides a layer of sealant. I cant speak for PB, OP, or CG, but if you do an alcohol wipe down after XMT 360 then you will reveal what was actually removed and what was filled. I think the trick is in the abrasives. They break down extremely fast, and they are extremely fine, thus not removing the fillers.

Last edited by 03gtmustang; 11-07-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:04 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 03gtmustang
No need to get all defensive mrosa65. Im simply asking questions trying to learn about the product from people who use it. Isnt that what forums are for? No one is forcing you to answer my questions. So stop if its anoying you.

Sure I can call up Sal, but Id be calling every day because new questions come up all the time. Im sure Sal has better things to do then talk to me.

Thanks for the reply Josh. I figured ZFX was meant to shorten the cure time, however, thats not what it says on the site. So that didnt make much sense to me.

As for fillers in an abrasive polish. XMT 360 is the exact same thing. Poorboys also has something very similar, so does Optimum and Chemical Guys. Cleans, corrects minor stuff, and provides a layer of sealant. I cant speak for PB, OP, or CG, but if you do an alcohol wipe down after XMT 360 then you will reveal what was actually removed and what was filled. I think the trick is in the abrasives. They break down extremely fast, and they are extremely fine, thus not removing the fillers.
Not getting defensive at all. It just seems like you're picking at things and not just asking questions. It's pretty easy to read what each product does on their site so I don't understand all of the confusion.

There are thousands of posts here on the forums covering Zaino so you might want to search them.

After reading the PM you sent me last night I got the impression you're not interested in using the products so I'm not sure why you would ask so many questions anyway ?

Last edited by mrosa65; 11-07-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:15 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I did check out the Z-AIO this morning and performed a 50/50 wipedown after using it. No fillers that I could see.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:15 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Calling Sal would be a good idea, especially if you've discovered an error on his website, I'm sure he would be highly appriative to find that out.

I understand about the 50/50 wiping and what it accomplishes.

According to Zaino, there's no fillers in ZAIO. I will wait for mrosas test though.

You say these products that have fillers...."cleans, corrects minor stuff, and provides a layer of sealant" I'm confused, are you refering to sealants and fillers as the same things?

Please clearify.

PS, btw you're on a Vette forum with a rustang tag telling people to chill out, and then asking for help.....probably won't help you get any questions answered any faster.....yes we are bias on this forum towards Corvettes. Rustangs are typically our favorite cars.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:11 PM
03gtmustang
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrosa65
Not getting defensive at all. It just seems like you're picking at things and not just asking questions. It's pretty easy to read what each product does on their site so I don't understand all of the confusion.

There are thousands of posts here on the forums covering Zaino so you might want to search them.

After reading the PM you sent me last night I got the impression you're not interested in using the products so I'm not sure why you would ask so many questions anyway ?
I asked why it takes longer for the polish to haze when using the ZFX stuff compared to Z2- Pro alone. Im not sure how that is "picking" at things? Obviously there is some confusion going on because Josh said ZFX makes the sealant cure faster. And thats what the description of ZFX says. But like I said, it says on the site Z2- Pro needs 10- 15 minutes to haze. Then you go to the ZFX page and it says when mixed, it needs to haze for 20- 30 minutes. Im trying to figure out what the correct timing is.

As far as the PM I sent you last night, I said Im interested in Z2- Pro, but not the other products. All of my questions are regarding Z2- Pro.

Originally Posted by JoshVette
Calling Sal would be a good idea, especially if you've discovered an error on his website, I'm sure he would be highly appriative to find that out.

I understand about the 50/50 wiping and what it accomplishes.

According to Zaino, there's no fillers in ZAIO. I will wait for mrosas test though.

You say these products that have fillers...."cleans, corrects minor stuff, and provides a layer of sealant" I'm confused, are you refering to sealants and fillers as the same things?

Please clearify.

PS, btw you're on a Vette forum with a rustang tag telling people to chill out, and then asking for help.....probably won't help you get any questions answered any faster.....yes we are bias on this forum towards Corvettes. Rustangs are typically our favorite cars.
I am absolutely not saying sealants and fillers are the same. Let me clarify, cleans, corrects minor stuff/ fills other imperfections, and provides a layer of sealant.

I guess I probably shouldnt have signed up to a vette forum using the Mustang tag. However, let it be known that Id give up my stang in a second if I could get a vette. Like my partner says (who owns a black C6), people buy mustangs because they cant afford vettes. So there ya have it.

Last edited by 03gtmustang; 11-07-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:35 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I asked why it takes longer for the polish to haze when using the ZFX stuff compared to Z2- Pro alone. Im not sure how that is "picking" at things? Obviously there is some confusion going on because Josh said ZFX makes the sealant cure faster. And thats what the description of ZFX says. But like I said, it says on the site Z2- Pro needs 10- 15 minutes to haze. Then you go to the ZFX page and it says when mixed, it needs to haze for 20- 30 minutes. Im trying to figure out what the correct timing is.
To haze over or dry, it can depend on the conditions the product is applied in. During more humid conditions it can take longer. I've typically found that usually 20-30 minutes is more than enough time in most normal conditions for the product to be removed. An easy test is the finger swipe. Swipe your finger across a 1" strip and if the Z2 comes off clean, then it's ready to removed. If it's smears, than additional time is needed to dry.

As for the curing time, yes, ZFX will accelerate the curing process allowing up to 3 coats to be applied in a 24 hour period. I have found in *my* experience that the drying (hazing) time is about the same with ZFX added or not. Some companies suggest allowing their products to cure for a set amount of time before applying a second application. With ZFX, there is no wait time. You can apply the additional coats as soon as the first is removed for a maximum of 3 per day. Some users have applied more than that and have stated they could not see any ill affects.

I'm sure the time difference was just a typo on the website, which is why I suggested you call the folks at Zaino. They make the stuff so they have a lot more detailed information about it. Sal is a great guy to talk to and never minds answering questions, lord knows I asked him a ton when I was thinking of placing my first order.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:40 PM
03gtmustang
Instructor

Thanks. I just tried calling and got the answering machine, Ill try again later.

Next question if you dont mind. Is it obsolutely needed to mix Z2- P with ZFX for the inital application? And if you dont use ZFX, how soon can you apply another coat of Z2- P? Now you said you didnt notice a difference in cure time with and without ZFX, so Im wondering how necessary it is? Or is ZFX a marketing thing, in your opinion.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Next question if you dont mind. Is it obsolutely needed to mix Z2- P with ZFX for the inital application? And if you dont use ZFX, how soon can you apply another coat of Z2- P? Now you said you didnt notice a difference in cure time with and without ZFX, so Im wondering how necessary it is? Or is ZFX a marketing thing, in your opinion.
Dan

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't notice a difference in drying "hazing" time with or without ZFX. I can't speak for curing time though. It's like getting a car repainted. Even though it's dry on the surface it's still outgassing (curing) over a period of time. I would think of ZFX as the oven they bake the paint in at the factory. Instant cure time.

I'm not the best person to answer the no ZFX question since for the few extra bucks, I've always used it. It lasts for a long time and since the company tells me I need to use it, I do. I'm sure if it wasn't needed one of the competitors would have done a chemical analysis years ago and waved the flag for all to see.

With that being said, others here have stated they use Z products without ZFX and they like the way it looks. They've also said they've applied multiple coats without it and were happy.

Personally, for a few extra dollars I don't want to wonder "what if" when protecting a high dollar investment.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:32 PM
03gtmustang
Instructor

Sounds good. Thanks Mike.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:45 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Anytime Dan.

Not sure if you saw my post earlier about the Z-AIO. I did a heavy ISO wipe and the appearance to my old eyes looked identical so it looks like there isn't any fillers being used.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:48 PM
03gtmustang
Instructor

Cool, thanks for testing that.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:15 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Dan, I was giving you a hard time about the mustang thing......kinda.

But to be clear about a few things....

Drying time and Curing time are two different things.

If you put it on too heavy it will take longer to dry but the same amount of time to cure. Also, you won't see any "haze" like with other waxes as it is extremely clear. "optically perfect" as Zaino likes to say on there website.

I would get the ZFX if it were me since it makes a huge difference in curing time.

Off top of my head I believe without ZFX you can apply the Z2 or Z5 and once dry, wipe off and wait 24 hours to cure, then do your next application.

I personally have never done this as I use ZFX but I know some who have and you're talking like a 3 day process without the ZFX. With ZFX I can do 3 coats in about an hour or faster depending on humidity and weather conditions.

Dan, I have a feeling if you give this a try, you may get hooked. Once you do your research and learn about the chemistry involved and understand why it works the way it does, it will open your eyes to all these chemicals we detailers use. Plus Zaino gives you an advantage as you can truely layer it and build it up, where other products you can layer all day long, but if they're chemically designed to bond to itself it doesn't mean a hill of beans. You can use that as a huge upsale with your clients.

Josh
Old 11-07-2007, 05:06 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoshVette
Dan, I have a feeling if you give this a try, you may get hooked. Once you do your research and learn about the chemistry involved and understand why it works the way it does, it will open your eyes to all these chemicals we detailers use. Plus Zaino gives you an advantage as you can truely layer it and build it up, where other products you can layer all day long, but if they're chemically designed to bond to itself it doesn't mean a hill of beans. You can use that as a huge upsale with your clients.

Josh

Dan you should PM Todd (th0001), when he first came here he was a HUGE meg's user and I don't think he liked Zaino very much.

Since then he's tried it and is very fond of it to say the least. He's a pro detailer living in the Orlando area and details some very exotic rides on a regular basis.

If you do a search for his user name you'll find a lot of his details and see his results. I've met Todd in person and have watched him work first hand and he really is a master.

Here's a link to one of his recent detail trips.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1845328
Old 11-07-2007, 06:27 PM
03gtmustang
Instructor

No hard feelings Josh. I would really give about anything for a vette. Im trying to save for a z06, so well see how that goes. They'll probably be at C10 by that time though.

Ive been using haze/ drying and curing interchangably here. I guess I shouldnt do that. What I meant to ask, is how long does Z2- Pro take to cure when not using ZFX. You just answered that for me though, thanks.

I would like to give the Z2- Pro a shot along with the ZFX since it makes it cure instantly. The main reason Im interested in it is because of its durability. Im a Carnauba guy, so personally I probably wouldnt use it on my car (except during winter). But when it comes to my customers, they want durability. The sealant Ive been using is CG JetSeal (which can be layered). This is a very popular sealant, especially with the UK guys. It does a nice job with all colors and pops flakes well which is why I like it. But if there is a high end sealant that will last longer then Im all for it.

My customers cars all get two layers of LSP whether they chose wax and or sealant.

When/ if I use the Z2, my process will be Menzerna, rewash, Z2 x2 (with ZFX), then top with wax if requested.

Thanks again for helping me out guys.

Last edited by 03gtmustang; 11-07-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Just keep saving.

I bought my first Vette when I turned 25. It was two years old with low mileage and fully loaded.

This was my baby....I miss her.

If you're going to start using Zaino on customers cars, you can use it as an upsale. With the proper prep you'll see at least 4 months durability from one shot and much more when layered.

When correctly applied you can do 3 coats with less then a 1/4 oz.

Give yourself a learning curve first time, but you'll get the hang of it quickly. Use as directed.

Josh
Old 11-07-2007, 10:41 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Heck, I waited until I was almost 40 to buy my first vette, but it sure won't be my last. I was out pricing an 08 last week. Now if I can just hit the lotto or the stock market picks up I'll be all set.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Nzzz
Racer

Quick Reply: Do you want to wax or polish your vette?