Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Keeping the vette safe in the garage

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:46 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keeping the vette safe in the garage

As some of you may have seen my other posts I've been a prospective buyer in this wacky real estate market for the past 7 months. I'm hoping to snag a home with a garage for my 68. My gf works in NYC so all the towns in north jersey where we are looking have their good and bad sections and in our price range I'm trying my best to be in the good section.

What have you guys done to your garages to make them more secure and protect your baby?
I'm not worried about them driving the car b/c I have 5 different anti-theft systems on her but as they say "If someone wants it they'll get it" but I'll make that as difficult as possible.

What steps have you guys gone to reinforce the garage door and/or side/backdoor entrance?

Simple, creative, cheap, expensive, overkill, lets here it.

Anyone install LoJack on a C3? I don't want to go that route but was curious if anyone has done it.

I've heard of people installing a metal door jam the length of your side/back door into the concret ground a few feet so it is very difficult for someone to kick the door in.

I'm more interested in the modification you can do to the large rollup garage door.
Any ideas?

Here are some quick things I found.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/ad...re/?&R=EPI-703
Old 01-03-2008, 10:12 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-04-2008, 04:53 AM
MARVIN 34
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i lived in CHICAGO, i took a very heavy pad lock and put it in the holes of the garage-door rail to prevent the door from raising up, it worked and saved my GRANDNATIONAL from being stolen, they got in 1 door but couldnt open the overhead door. a neighbor suggested me to get 1 of those "baby monitor kits" , its 1 of the speakers you can put on the ceiling in the garage and it picks up noise and you can hear whats going on in another room.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:22 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Originally Posted by DaBoz

Old 01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 460 Posts

You have to love city living??
Old 01-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Trunk moneys work pretty good in Texas........
Old 01-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Robbo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it attached to the house? Meaning you don't have to go outside it to close it right? The look of that lock makes it seem like it's on the outside of the door.

If you have access to the house I would think the most simple modification would be the lock mentioned on the tracks. Also, saw where a guy drilled a hole in the side of his tracks, just above the wheels on the door, and put some of those 3/4 (ish) lockpins in it. The kind that slide into the removable trailer hitches on trucks. Seems like that would me much cheaper than one of those fancy locks pictured... and would keep the door from opening just as well as the lock.

It would be the "non-locking" version of this in the link below. They're probably in the "couple of dollars" range at a big box home improvements store.

http://www.joessports.com/product/in...ductId=1131640

I don't see how you could get anymore secure unless you went the "whole length" of the door as you mentioned.

Rob
Old 01-05-2008, 03:15 AM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaBoz

funny, i was thinking of picking one of these up cheap and parking it in front of the garage door.

Option 2: install one of these turrets off the master bedroom overlooking the garage...

Originally Posted by MARVIN 34
when i lived in CHICAGO, i took a very heavy pad lock and put it in the holes of the garage-door rail to prevent the door from raising up, it worked and saved my GRANDNATIONAL from being stolen, they got in 1 door but couldnt open the overhead door. a neighbor suggested me to get 1 of those "baby monitor kits" , its 1 of the speakers you can put on the ceiling in the garage and it picks up noise and you can hear whats going on in another room.
good idea. i like it

Originally Posted by Robbo
Is it attached to the house? Meaning you don't have to go outside it to close it right? The look of that lock makes it seem like it's on the outside of the door.
Rob
the garage is attached but no entrance from the garage into the house. There is the main rollup door and a rear single standard 36 inch door. So the padlock in the tracks can still work as long as I can reinforce this rear door too to prevent any pissed off theives from vandalism.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:56 AM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I'd use some of the ideas already tossed out there. Padlock on the roll-up door frame, a cheap baby monitor. I'd also replace the rear door with a steel door and also reinforce both sides of the door frame with steel plates to keep it from getting kicked in.

You may also look at a home security system by Brinks or ADT. I have a system on my home which covers the doors and windows and also includes the side door to my garage. The nice thing is that I can activate the system at night while I'm there and just bypass the motion detectors inside my home but all the doors and windows are still on the alarm. It's a wireless system so they didn't have to run wires from each sensor which made installation very easy.

So while a crook is stunned by the ear splitting alarm, I'll have a little time to take the Ruger 9mm out of the night stand and give him a proper greeting.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:35 PM
only59
Pro

My feeling is unless you live in an area where people see a car, want it, and break into a home ( garage same thing) to get it , the break in is probably not going to happen.

I suspect if someone wants your car, they are gonna wait and perhaps follow you to the restaurant or wherever you go, and wait for you to park the car. Then they will just drive it away. IF a PRO wants your Car they will find the EASY way to get it.

A couple of BIG locks on the inside G Door track will solve the problem of getting the car out of the garage quickly, because TIME is everything to a crook.

The biggest problem for crooks is if someone happens to come home, or happens to BE home. A simple car theft can turn ugly, and the price to pay is very deep. I don't think a Professional would ever get themselves into that position and a common thug is generally not prepared to pull off getting a secured car out of a locked down garage.

Put some locks on the inside of the GDOOR, lock the car down and be dun with it.

just my take..
Old 01-05-2008, 10:50 PM
gasboy
Racer

i saw a car chained to the garage floor.he put some tie downs in the concrete(kind of like trailer tie downs) then pad locked a big chain around the rear axle.nobody ever took it as far as i know.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:44 PM
oak3x
Burning Brakes

One of the best purchases I have made is the PITBULL TIRE LOCK. Renting a garage away from my home, I put this on the rear wheel.
A little pricey, but great quality

http://www.tirelock.com/productdetails.php?pid=12

Get notified of new replies

To Keeping the vette safe in the garage

Quick Reply: Keeping the vette safe in the garage