Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black Car Owners Please Chime in

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:31 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Black Car Owners Please Chime in

I've looked at a couple of black vettes to purchase and is it the car or the owner regarding the spiral marks? It looks to me like the car was dirty and someone washed it but didn't get all the dirt off and buffed it.

It doesn't look like it is in the paint but rather just the clear coat. Is this just normal for a black car and can this be fixed so you can't see these spiral marks anymore?

In the right lighting under perfect conditions, I could see spiral marks on my silver vette but are these spiral marks just accentuated on black?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2008, 12:12 AM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

These marks are commonly known as swirls or as you put it, spiral marks or even spider webbing....

They are typically due to improper washing and drying technique and dragging dirt particles from the wash mitt or drying towels accross the paint thus rubbing the particles into the clear and creating a micro scratch. Do this enough times and you've got swirls.

Yes, they are very acksentuated in black and other darker and solid colors such as red and blue are probably the worst.

Only way to get them out of the Corvette hard clear coat is with the high speed rotary buffer. An orbital will just take way too long, it's not worth the time.

The way to keep them out is by utilizing the two bucket washing technique as well as blow drying the car with a leaf blower and making sure your materials are very very clean...

Josh
Old 02-08-2008, 10:10 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 946 Likes on 470 Posts

It is both the owner and the color. Black is the worst, but as you said, you can even see them on silver, you just have to look harder.
Use this as a bargaining chip when purchasing, then find someone who really knows what they are doing with a rotary. You will be amazed at what can be accomplished with the correct knowledge and products.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Dan1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the other guys said, you'll need to find someone that knows what they're doing with a rotary.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:41 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dan1
Like the other guys said, you'll need to find someone that knows what they're doing with a rotary.

They didn't quite look this bad but can this car in this picture be amazingly fixed?

This car had all the showroom lights beaming down on it so it didn't look this bad.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by captcruz
This car had all the showroom lights beaming down on it so it didn't look this bad.
Be careful with some showroom cars. Many of them have been buffed with glaze products and waxed to hide the true paint surface.......

That's common practice with some dealers unfortunitely......After a couple of washes, suddenly the car looks different in the sunlight.....

Do your homework and check out one owner cars. The market is usually softer in the winter time. Avoid middlemen (dealers) when ever possible......

Good luck......
Old 02-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Dan1
Instructor

They didn't quite look this bad but can this car in this picture be amazingly fixed?
Of course it was. That is a picture of the Bentley I did. Its on my site if you want to look at it.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:12 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Single stage paints like black, yellow, and red will reflect more and thus amplify imperfections. What is clear, is proper maintenance and prep will have most black cars looking great with just a little time and upkeep. I firmly believe proper washing and drying techniques can remove alot of the swirls common on car paint.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by JoshVette
These marks are commonly known as swirls or as you put it, spiral marks or even spider webbing....

They are typically due to improper washing and drying technique and dragging dirt particles from the wash mitt or drying towels accross the paint thus rubbing the particles into the clear and creating a micro scratch. Do this enough times and you've got swirls.

Yes, they are very acksentuated in black and other darker and solid colors such as red and blue are probably the worst.

Only way to get them out of the Corvette hard clear coat is with the high speed rotary buffer. An orbital will just take way too long, it's not worth the time.

The way to keep them out is by utilizing the two bucket washing technique as well as blow drying the car with a leaf blower and making sure your materials are very very clean...

Josh

Chances are it can be fixed with a rotary in the hands of a skilled detailer. It can be kept nice by using the 2 bucket method of washing and using the proper towels and maintenance techniques.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Of course it was. That is a picture of the Bentley I did. Its on my site if you want to look at it.
WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED !!!!! ??????
That is amazing work All I can say is WOW
Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave1
Be careful with some showroom cars. Many of them have been buffed with glaze products and waxed to hide the true paint surface.......

That's common practice with some dealers unfortunitely......After a couple of washes, suddenly the car looks different in the sunlight.....

Do your homework and check out one owner cars. The market is usually softer in the winter time. Avoid middlemen (dealers) when ever possible......

Good luck......
I looked at the history of the cars and they were owned by someone and then traded in.
The problem with avoiding dealers is 80% trade them in due to not wanting to go through the trouble of selling them on their own. If only it was illegal to trade in black vettes, I'd be set
Old 02-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Dan1
Instructor

WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED !!!!! ??????
That is amazing work All I can say is WOW
Thanks. Im all the way in VA. Got a lot of family in CA though.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:19 AM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Single stage paints like black, yellow, and red will reflect more and thus amplify imperfections. What is clear, is proper maintenance and prep will have most black cars looking great with just a little time and upkeep. I firmly believe proper washing and drying techniques can remove alot of the swirls common on car paint.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:53 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Thanks. Im all the way in VA. Got a lot of family in CA though.
When you visit, do you bring your stuff with you?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Dan1
Instructor

When you visit, do you bring your stuff with you?
We might be able to work something out.

Get notified of new replies

To Black Car Owners Please Chime in

Quick Reply: Black Car Owners Please Chime in