Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

another car cover thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:39 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default another car cover thread

I know theres a ton of threads on car covers, but here's another.

I had a 2 tone microfiber coverking stormshiled cover that i used for outdoor use off and on for almost 3 years. This is the very thin one and the problem is that it blows off in winds that are 20+ mph beacuse it begins to "aprachute".

I eventually modified it so that I could use bungees with it to attached to under the car. This worked well most of the time, but in winds 30+ mph it still blew off.

needless to say, the cover required alot of washing a drying and between the force of the winds and the abuse in the washer/dryer, it has started to tear all over. its time for a new cover.

please suggest an all year round outdoor cover that will fit VERY well and not blow off... I live in the northeast so its need to tolerate some ice and snow, but not alot.

I have a C6 coupe.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:47 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

The Noah is much thicker and in some cases a burden to store and take with you. It sounds like it would be a much better choice for you however. There is a cable/locking system that can also be used under the car to avoid some movement.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 PM
speedster516
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had two Noah covers both in a short period of time after it rains leaves car full of white dust. The fit is very good .
Old 02-22-2008, 02:50 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

White dust??

Can someone else chime in?

Originally Posted by speedster516
I have had two Noah covers both in a short period of time after it rains leaves car full of white dust. The fit is very good .
Old 02-22-2008, 07:06 PM
mercruiser
Burning Brakes

I also have a Noah cover and I've had it for 8 years. It has always left this white dust all over the car. It is very aggravating if your car is black. I thought that it was the lining deteriorating. Is it O.K. to wash these in the washer?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:54 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I use a Weathershield and really like it for dust resistance and sun protection...it's thin, not padded, and supposedly not harmful to the paint. The original elastic stretched out over 2 years, and this helped it fly off in winds, but they replaced it for free and the new model seems tighter (even compared to when the first one was new). Not sure about 30 mph winds, but this holds up in the wind.

However, I have noticed that when I bring the rear part of the cover up over the trunk lid when removing it, I've been just letting the gathered elastic fly over the trunk area. Now that I've installed flourescent lights in the garage, I see a lot of marring from the cover edges when they fly across the paint. This is due to improper cover removal technique, and will be corrected as soon as I have time to PC the car again.

Someone should start a thread on proper cover removal technique.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:29 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

I agree that the original elastic stretched out alot... it barely flew off at all for the 1st year or so I had it... And yes, I also notice some marring which drives me nuts, but i still prefer having the cover on.

How tough was coverking with the warranty? I think that the cover has a 4 year warranty,which im still within, but I addded 2 grommets to attach bungee cords to and i hope they dont tell me that voids warranty.

Originally Posted by IAIA
I use a Weathershield and really like it for dust resistance and sun protection...it's thin, not padded, and supposedly not harmful to the paint. The original elastic stretched out over 2 years, and this helped it fly off in winds, but they replaced it for free and the new model seems tighter (even compared to when the first one was new). Not sure about 30 mph winds, but this holds up in the wind.

However, I have noticed that when I bring the rear part of the cover up over the trunk lid when removing it, I've been just letting the gathered elastic fly over the trunk area. Now that I've installed flourescent lights in the garage, I see a lot of marring from the cover edges when they fly across the paint. This is due to improper cover removal technique, and will be corrected as soon as I have time to PC the car again.

Someone should start a thread on proper cover removal technique.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:47 PM
marc4427
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mercruiser
I also have a Noah cover and I've had it for 8 years. It has always left this white dust all over the car. It is very aggravating if your car is black. I thought that it was the lining deteriorating. Is it O.K. to wash these in the washer?
I have the same problem with my black vette. Cover was bought last month and it also leaves a white powder residue
Old 02-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Blue Lightening
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mercruiser
I'm on my second Noah. I wash it at a large commercial washer laundry mat with no problems.

The reason I am on my second one is because of the dryer. I got impatient with how long it was taking to dry on low heat and turned up the heat to medium. The damn cover melted. I wan't happy and don't believe the owner of the laundry mat was either.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:31 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a black Fiero that I bought a car cover for because I thought it would help keep the dust off, well it does ...sort of, but the downside is the damage to the paint over time.
Even if wind does not blow off a car cover, it moves it around which can cause damage. A car cover will also have dust and other particles in it, and when that is slid over the surface, ...youch! The good thing now is that it serves as my test vehicle for products before they get used on my Vette. Both cars sit in the garage, that is the best car cover.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:42 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

are you sure it is powder ?? I suspect it is lint from the soft inner lining which is almost flannel like. I so, it blows off with first drive and certainly a better option than rain / sleet / snow and other contaminents. A quick MF mop could resolve this issue.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:46 AM
speedster516
Racer

In my situation when the cover was new the dust after a rain didn't occur. It started to happen after cover was about six months old. It does not appear to be lint and for sure does not blow off when driven.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with a cover from Empire.
No dust on my Vette at all , it has a 4 star rating for rain & dust.
Breathable, $54 shipped.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:52 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by vette-oholic
I agree that the original elastic stretched out alot... it barely flew off at all for the 1st year or so I had it... And yes, I also notice some marring which drives me nuts, but i still prefer having the cover on.

How tough was coverking with the warranty? I think that the cover has a 4 year warranty,which im still within, but I addded 2 grommets to attach bungee cords to and i hope they dont tell me that voids warranty.
The replacement was as simple as could be. As you know, there are hundreds of distributors out there, so I called the distributor that sold me mine, they set up an RO number, and I sent it back to where they got it (CoverCraft--not sure if they are the owner of Weathershield or another distributor of the line). Anyway, came back in a week or two. I do not believe the grommets will void the warranty, but you'll just have to see.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:44 PM
oktx
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I know this is an old thread. My Noah cover is starting to degrade and is leaving white powder all over my car. I also has started to get some small holes in it. The warranty is for years. I've had it for 2. Did the warranty cover yours?

Get notified of new replies

To another car cover thread

Quick Reply: another car cover thread