Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

My polish review: 1)The Compounds

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:55 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My polish review: 1)The Compounds

Here is my review of all polishes and compounds I have expericence with (more than 5 cars). All reviews are based on a rotary on a direct drive rotary (I use a Makita and Hitachi). These are my experiences only and all are ranked in several catergories

1) Aggressive Polish (Compound)
2) Medium Polish
3) Light Polish (Final Polish)

I used several critera to help me in my ranking of the polishes but it must be noted that even in rating the critera, opinion is rendered. All ratings are based on a 1-10 scale(with 10 being given to best in class, and the others given numbers based on that number. Something with a 10 cuts the fastest for example, while something with a 5 would rut half as fast, a 7 would be inbetween).

Critera:

Inital Cut: Basically how aggressive a polish begins (the rate at which it removes paint).

Final Appearance: The appearance after being worked in properly and broken down. 10 being the clearest, flaw free finish.

Rate of Cut: The speed from which the polish goes from most aggressive to least aggresive. I find faster is better as it reduces work time, so it is rated as faster is given a higher number.

Filling properties: The lubricants in polishes can act to "fill" or hide defects. The lower the masking properties of the polish, the higher the number. No filling would get a 10, where as heavy filling would get 1-3. Tested by comparing the finish after breaking down the polish compared to the finish after wiping with Prepsol to remove oils and reveal "hidden" defects.

Versatility- How much is the product locked into its roll? Does a compound finish nice on a moderate foam pad, will a polish cut with a wool pad?

Ease of use: Certain polishes work better in certain conditions, pads, on different paints, etc. This rating is very objective as it based on personal experience only. I also tend to weigh this more, as polishes will do their job, but I would rather do three steps with easy to use polishes than two very difficult steps.

Aggressive Polishes (Compounds)- The purpose of a compound is to "cut" or quickly relevel paint the quickly while removing heavy defects and sanding marks. The final apperance isn't as important since this is not the purpose of this type of polish, and it is generally followed by one to three steps to refine the polish. The mosted weighted categories are inital cut and rate of cut.

1st) Meguiars M105 Ultra Cut-Compound
2nd) 3M Perfect It 3000 Extra Cut Compound
3rd) High Temp Extreme Cut
4th) Meguiars M84
5th) Menzerna Power Gloss
6th) Optimum Hyper Compound
7th) Meguiars M85

1) Meguiars M105
Inital Cut: 10
Final Apperance: 10
Rate of Cut: 10*
Filling: 8
Versatility: 8
Ease of Use: 5

As based on the ratings, I feel nothing removes more defects faster than M105. Its cut very fast (10 seconds) and allows work to be down quickly. It also leaves an incredible finish behind (provided it isn't over worked into the paint) that rivals some of meduim polishes, with only the finest wool marring (if using a wool pad). When used on foam pads (including a fine white LCC polishing pad) the M105 leaves a finish that is near LSP ready, and several top pro's have used it as a final polish.
However, it's ease of use suffers because it is worked differently than any other polish.

M105 isn't broken down like traditional polishes, it is worked quickly until defects are removed (or 15 seconds tops). Defects usually disappear fast (3-10 seconds). However, if you take M105 past its work time, the wool will heavily cut the paint as the lubrication dries, ruining the finish.

Because nothing cuts faster and can be worked quicker, heavy defect removal can be made very quickly (in half the time) and you can work around the car faster. And because when worked properly, the finish is so nice, you can usually skip a middle step. Truely one of the greatest polishes on the market. Use very little, and work it very quickly.

2) 3M Extra Cut 3000

Initial Cut: 9
Final Apperance: 3
Rate of Cut: 8
Filling: 10
Versatility: 1
Ease of Use: 8

Very fast and easy to use(as designed to be brought to a dry buff) 3M Extra Cut doesn't finish nice usually requiring a middle step. However, this is a traditional compound and a big brute that makes no excuses. Easy to use (apply to wool, buff to dry) and quick, it makes production work a breeze. Dusting is the only knock on ease of use. No verstial so to speak, but neither was Mike Tyson and he still knocked people out.

3) High Temp Extreme Cut:

Inital Cut: 7
Final Appearance: 8
Rate of Cut: 6
Filling: 5
Ease of Use: 10
Versatility: 8

High Temp removes defects fairly quick and removes a fair amount. However its lack of inital bite (compared to 3M and M105) as well as its longer play time knock it back in the pack. High Temp appears to finish nicely, though it does have moderate filling properites that may fool the eye. It's wetness contributes to an extremely high ease of use and makes the polish equally at home on a foam cutting pad as well as any variety of wool.

4) Meguiars M84

Inital Cut: 6
Final Apperance: 5
Rate of Cut: 7
Filling: 8
Versatility: 5
Ease of Use: 10

The drop from the top three to number four is pretty dramatic, but M84 is no sloutch. It doesn't have a lot of cut (Meguiars rates 3 polishes more aggressive) but it is extremely easy to use and a nice beginners polish. It stays very wet for a very long time with out gumming up wool pads (or foam). This ease of use is why the polish scores in the upper part of this test.

5) Menzerna Power Gloss

Inital Cut: 7
Final Appearance: 6
Rate of Cut: 6
Filling: 9
Versatility: 4
Ease of use: 2

While not a bad polish in terms of preformance, it doesn't leave a nice finish but more importantly doesn't have a long play time, though with a slow rate of cut it needs all of that. It is a fine balance point between full breakdown and dry buffing and huge dusting. Also this polish gums pads very quickly, which leads to a very low ease of use.

6) Optimum Hyper Compound

Inital Cut: 2
Final Apperance: 8
Rate of Cut: 4
Filling: 4
Versatility: 7
Ease of use: 9
Easy to use? Yes. Dusting? Very little. Stays wet? Yep! Finishes nice? Sure. Good cut? Nope! As the most aggressive polish Optimum offers, this one just fails just doesn't have much cut and to make it worse, it has a long play time and a slow rate of cut. So you have to work the polish longer to get less, which will result in several passes required, each one longer than something you would have used that had compound like cut.

7) Meguiars M85

Inital Cut: 8
Final Apperance: 3
Rate of Cut: 5
Filling: 7
Versatility: 1
Ease of Use:5

Very dry, for use with a wool pad. Using with a foam pad results in a finish that looses lubrication before it finishes breaking down. Used with a wool, it does an okay job.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:18 PM
jimmybobby
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd,
Awesome write up. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with the rest of us. It's very much appreciated.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:45 AM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, great information, thanks.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:48 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great practical information (like my Professor used to say "Theory can only take you so far”)
Old 03-07-2008, 09:00 AM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the write up
Old 03-08-2008, 08:47 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Thanks for the great writeup Todd!

I too have been having great results with the M105 so far. Like you say 3M ECC is not bad either.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Very informative piece.....

Thank you.....
Old 03-12-2008, 02:00 AM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Great info to know!
Old 03-18-2008, 02:11 PM
GS4-LT1
Burning Brakes

Todd, Just ordered some #105, would finishing off with Ultrafina be good enough or would I need somthing a little stronger like #2?
Old 03-18-2008, 05:18 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good info - thanks for the write-up.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:24 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GS4-LT1
Todd, Just ordered some #105, would finishing off with Ultrafina be good enough or would I need somthing a little stronger like #2?
If I may, I have been able to go from M105 and a yellow edge wool pad straight to UF. Even on soft clears like the jet black BMW 745li I did the other day. I always work UF for 2-3 mins per panel at 1700 and back off to 1000 or less for the last few passes. This is with the 3M blue 8" foam pad.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 AM
BlueV
Advanced

I have all of the compounds listed except the M105. I guess that needs to be added to my grocery list.

You're spot on with your report, as always. It's nice to see posts full of useful information. Thank you.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:39 PM
GS4-LT1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gmblack3
If I may, I have been able to go from M105 and a yellow edge wool pad straight to UF. Even on soft clears like the jet black BMW 745li I did the other day. I always work UF for 2-3 mins per panel at 1700 and back off to 1000 or less for the last few passes. This is with the 3M blue 8" foam pad.
Cool, thanks for the info GM. I got some 105 today used it with a ccs white pad and noticed a little bit of holograming when finished. This stuff is amazing as to how fast it works. Very little work time, 20 seconds seemed to be max for me, but it is easier to work with than my beloved Menzerna SIP. 105 also seemed to clean up the paint defects much faster than SIP. I am always using UF/3M blue pad as my final polish now, after whatever I use to start, so the holograms won't be a problem. So far this 105 seems like great stuff that will save a lot of time.

Get notified of new replies

To My polish review: 1)The Compounds

Quick Reply: My polish review: 1)The Compounds