Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 01:39 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

hello sir , i keep reading about ''ceramic'' waxes/sealers for lack of a better term . i googled ''ceramic'' and it replied ''pots and other articles made from clay hardened by heat.'' i don't understand the connection between this definition and waxes/sealers . also i've purchased some wolfgang ''uber'' as i've started the two bucket rinseless wash and like it a great deal . along with the uber i got a 5 gallon bucket and grit guard . i've read peoples suggestions about the two bucket method with grit guard in wash solution bucket . it makes more sense to me to use bucket with grit guard as the one to rinse off the wash mitt against the grit guard and then get clean wash solution from non grit guard bucket which would contain uncontaminated wash solution . have i overlooked something in my conclusion ? by the way , i read the uber booklet and it has a claim i've seen in other car wash product ads , it is the term ''encapsulates the dirt '' i am dubious about this . i repeat , love the uber and am tempted to try other wolfgang products if i live long enough to use up my zaino . . . peace
Old 12-09-2016, 09:25 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcypress
hello sir , i keep reading about ''ceramic'' waxes/sealers for lack of a better term . i googled ''ceramic'' and it replied ''pots and other articles made from clay hardened by heat.'' i don't understand the connection between this definition and waxes/sealers . also i've purchased some wolfgang ''uber'' as i've started the two bucket rinseless wash and like it a great deal . along with the uber i got a 5 gallon bucket and grit guard . i've read peoples suggestions about the two bucket method with grit guard in wash solution bucket . it makes more sense to me to use bucket with grit guard as the one to rinse off the wash mitt against the grit guard and then get clean wash solution from non grit guard bucket which would contain uncontaminated wash solution . have i overlooked something in my conclusion ? by the way , i read the uber booklet and it has a claim i've seen in other car wash product ads , it is the term ''encapsulates the dirt '' i am dubious about this . i repeat , love the uber and am tempted to try other wolfgang products if i live long enough to use up my zaino . . . peace

couple of great questions here ... I'll try to help.

Coatings are the newest offerings far surpassing the length of protection of traditional waxes and paint sealants (aka synthetic waxes). Their design and makeup is commonly ceramic based or some are silica based. These ingredients are designed to help the coating not only last longer, but often protect better. The challenge is that the amount left on paint is quite thin and this limits the ability to protect paint from scratching and rubbing. Once cured, most coatings are far more beneficial than a traditional wax or sealant.

The "best" or "proper" way to wash a car has been established as the two-bucket method. One bucket has the clean wash solution or soap, the other clean rinse water. Grit Guards are certainly an additional way to control the dirt being removed from mixing with the clean soap or rinse water. For best results, you likely should consider one in both buckets. Some will even now add a foam gun into the mix to presoak prior to washing as another level of wash. What we know is that washing and drying is where most scratches and marring is introduced to paint ... controlling it with good techniques keeps paint in great condition longer.

The Wolfgang Uber rinse is full of ingredients to help loosen, lift, lubricate, and clean paint. Glossing agents are included to look great. There's lots of fancy and scientific terms and ad copy to sell a product. In the end it works as described, looks great ... well then its a valid choice for rinseless/waterless wash needs.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 12-09-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:03 PM
binster
---------
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi. What's the best way, or is it even possible to remove / clean creases in my leather seats?

Last edited by binster; 12-18-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:44 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by binster
Hi. What's the best way, or is it even possible to remove / clean creases in my leather seats?

Leather in most automotive settings is coated, it has a polyurethane coating on it. When that coating is worn it can crease. Unfortunately there is no easy way to remove the creases and have only heard of moderate success outside of recovering the area or repair.

Now that said, you certainly can clean leather and make it look newer. Leatherique is commonly suggested and its a great two step process, but requires time and effort. You must follow the direction. The other challenge is all the pin-holes in the center of those seats. You don't want to clog them with a product.

I might suggest considering Leathermasters and cleaning the bolsters specifically. You can lightly wipe the center area as desired, but don't use the product directly on it again clogging the holes.

http://www.autogeek.net/strong-leather-cleaner-kit.html
The following users liked this post:
binster (12-19-2016)
Old 01-02-2017, 08:36 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Old 01-05-2017, 08:37 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

Is Autogeek killing this too?
Old 01-05-2017, 08:43 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Jason, since Scott is no longer on the board will you be directly responding to the posts in Care Care Discussion. The comments on the posts from a house expert is really helpful from a different perspective than asking a specific question. I think we would all also really appreciate you on the discussion board too. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2017, 08:53 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 275 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Nanoskin mitt vs clay bar. Which do you prefer? Which is easier? Which gives better results? My GS is used only in fair weather. Thanks for your advice in advance!
Old 02-25-2017, 07:58 PM
stevette17
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the strongest rim cleaner??
Old 04-19-2017, 01:13 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Getting the dust off my black C 6 in between washes . ? California duster or car detailer . You know you are at cars and coffee and you see dust what do you do or use.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:24 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by skar
Getting the dust off my black C 6 in between washes . ? California duster or car detailer . You know you are at cars and coffee and you see dust what do you do or use.
I've been wondering the same thing......

Recently compounded, polished & waxed my Black Z06. Now, 2 weeks later it still shines like a ****, but has collected some dust while in the garage.

I use to use a California Duster on my Cobra, but that was silver. Not sure how safe it would be to use on a black Corvette.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:24 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skar
QD or Waterless wash
GOOD micros
Old 04-29-2017, 11:23 PM
optiman
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default The next level!

96 deep metallic purple.
Using griots 6" orbital
I'm a newbie
Used orange pad with meguairs ultimate compound then ultimate polish.
Followed by ultimate wax.red pad
Looks great, but still have fine scratches.

Thinking of using meguairs ultra polish kit with 105 and 205 and pads included.
Then black fire ice on fire sealant? Did I say that right?

Suggestions?
Can't afford really high end. Maybe $200 tops maybe little more.
Shipping to Canada
Old 04-30-2017, 10:11 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

I prefer M101 better than 105. Less dust, better work time.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:38 PM
optiman
Racer

Originally Posted by optiman
96 deep metallic purple.
Using griots 6" orbital
I'm a newbie
Used orange pad with meguairs ultimate compound then ultimate polish.
Followed by ultimate wax.red pad
Looks great, but still have fine scratches.

Thinking of using meguairs ultra polish kit with 105 and 205 and pads included.
Then black fire ice on fire sealant? Did I say that right?

Suggestions?
Can't afford really high end. Maybe $200 tops maybe little more.
Shipping to Canada
Wolfgang kit looks interesting?
Would it cut as much or better then meguairs?
Also was looking at griots.

Is black fire only for black cars?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:35 PM
optiman
Racer

Isn't the tittle ask Autogeek?
Anyone here?
Old 05-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by optiman
Isn't the tittle ask Autogeek?
Anyone here?
Autogeek was purchased by a new owner late in 2016. I was the forum contact and no longer part of the Autogeek staff.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-autogeek.html

Out of respect for a former employer, I might suggest visiting their website or their forum for questions and current needs.

I will be happy to try and assist off-line thru PM, but would prefer not to offer specific products out of respect for them. Any house brand questions (Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Blackfire ) is best answered by them directly.

Last edited by Killrwheels; 05-10-2017 at 06:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Killrwheels:
cmonkey713 (05-14-2017), ronkh57 (05-10-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:17 AM
CyberGrayGS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Zaino Z16 Equivalent / WGDGSS

Would you please recommend an Autogeek product that is very similar to Zaino Z16 Tire Treatment? Also, when do you expect to have Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant available again in the 64 oz. size?
Tks, CD
Old 11-29-2017, 04:13 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

How soon should you remove the bumper bugs before etching kicks in? I guess remove them as soon as possible? But if you can't do it right away what will protect the paint from bugs/etching. Does quik detailer help, and clearcoat.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:12 PM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by okaythen
How soon should you remove the bumper bugs before etching kicks in? I guess remove them as soon as possible? But if you can't do it right away what will protect the paint from bugs/etching. Does quik detailer help, and clearcoat.
ASAP bugs can be very acidic.

Clearcoat is paint and will etch, detailer normally won't help either.

Quick Reply: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread