Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

PC 7424 for a novice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 02:10 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default PC 7424 for a novice?

I want to remove some very fine/faint scratches from the finish on my car and saw the video on using the PC 7424 and Pinnacle XMT products on the AutoGeek website. Would you recommend the 7424 & XMT products(s) for a novice?

Also, they were doing a section approx. 18"x18" at a time using XMT fine Swirl remover #2 and then #1. I assume you would actually do the whole car (in sections) with #2, then #1 and not swap back and forth between the products for each new section...right?

Do you just wash the pads in the washing machine when done?

Is there any danger when applying swirl removes and going over panels that have creases (like the roof and hood)?

Any other advice you can give would be appreciated.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:23 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 924 Likes on 458 Posts

I am very happy with my PC, but if I were buying today I would probably go with the flex.
Yes, you stick to areas about 2'x2' at a time, doing the entire car with one polish, then proceed to the next.
I would do orange pad/SIP, orange pad/ZPC, white pad ZPC, then Z sealants.
With the extra power of the flex you may be able to start with the white pad which is less aggressive.
The advice is to always start with the lesser approach, and see if that accomplishes what you are trying for, then step up to something more aggressive if you are not happy.
With either machine, practice on something else first, and you will master it quickly.
Good luck.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Bounty
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-C6
I want to remove some very fine/faint scratches from the finish on my car and saw the video on using the PC 7424 and Pinnacle XMT products on the AutoGeek website. Would you recommend the 7424 & XMT products(s) for a novice?

Also, they were doing a section approx. 18"x18" at a time using XMT fine Swirl remover #2 and then #1. I assume you would actually do the whole car (in sections) with #2, then #1 and not swap back and forth between the products for each new section...right?

Do you just wash the pads in the washing machine when done?

Is there any danger when applying swirl removes and going over panels that have creases (like the roof and hood)?

Any other advice you can give would be appreciated.
Keeping in mind you are a novice and you have a Vette (hard clear coat) I would recommend starting with a PC as it's going to be hard to get into trouble by using one. Since what you need is very minor paint correction, you will not need the extra corrective ability of the FLEX or its added costs...

Using a PC7424 for minor swirl corrections is fine. The issue with product is the ultra hard clear coat on the Corvette. This necesitates products designed to work with this type of clear coat. I would recommend the Wolfgang 3.0 system....Total Swirl Remover (applied with orange pad and then reapplied with white pad), Finishing Glaze (applied with white pad), and finished with the Polish Enhancer (applied by hand and removed with PC microfiber bonnet). Remember to wipe down with isopropyl alchohol/water mix in between to remove residue and fillers to allow for true inspection of your corrections...

Just follow with sealant/wax of choice and you're good to go. If you're getting everything from Autogeek this weekend to take advantage of the 20% savings remember they do not sell Zaino products so disregard recommendations of "Z" anything because you won't be able to find it there. If you're getting things from a variety of different sites then Zaino is another alternative for the finishing stages. You'll also hear a lot about Menzerna products...especially the SIP and Nano compounds. The Wolfgang TSR is basically SIP and the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is equal to Menzerna Nano (Menzerna makes Wolfgang TSR & Glaze by the way) so no need to spring for the more expensive Menzerna for light swirls...

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I just got a PC last month, and I am new to this as well. WIth that being said, using it is VERY easy and safe. Just avoid putting any pressure directly on ridges or creases (i.e. let the pad "float" over the edge, instead of rolling the pad over the corner) and watch out for the edge of the pad itself. THe pads are flexible and the backing plate is not, so if you run the edge of a pad against a perpendicular surface, the pad will compress and your backing plate is now dangerously close to the paint. A lot of people practice on a less important car first, to get the hang of using the PC.

I haven't used the Pinnacle XMT products so I can't say how well they work; however I did use the Menzerna products and they are AWESOME. (SIP and 106FF Nano).

As far as whether it's best to do one product first, in sections, over the whole car before using the next, I don't know. But I would suppose it IS, simply for convenience. If you are doing multiple products, then you will have a lot more "changing back and forth" of pads, buffing towels, etc. So I would take your first product, do each section as you normally would, then proceed to the next section, and so on. When you complete the full vehicle, move the next product. Just my .02 on that, but again I don't know if it matters in the long run.

When I'm done with the pads, I rinse them promptly with soap and warm water pooled up in a sink, (Woolite works good) agitate them really well with your fingers and you'll see the dirty water running out. Afterwards let them air-dry. Make sure to rinse them really well to get the soap residue out. My pads looked like I'd never used them afterwards.

Last edited by Alaskanpilot; 08-17-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:04 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you find the video on how to use the flex?
Old 08-17-2008, 06:20 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by captcruz
Where did you find the video on how to use the flex?
I added a video this morning in car care section which shows the differences between Flex and PC while correcting. It was on Utube also. The techniques are the same as the PC and also in our detailing section at www.autogeek.net

---

as for the original post, the PC is completely user friendly and a great option for those new to detailing to succeed and also play it relatively safe. Because the Vettes clear is considered hard, I personally would use the Menzerna polishes also versus XMT.

http://www.autogeek.net/pc7424-menze...ramic-kit.html (PC)

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-g110-ceramic-kit.html (Megs G110)

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-fle...w-car-kit.html (Flex)
Old 08-17-2008, 06:59 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
...as for the original post, the PC is completely user friendly and a great option for those new to detailing to succeed and also play it relatively safe. Because the Vettes clear is considered hard, I personally would use the Menzerna polishes also versus XMT.

http://www.autogeek.net/pc7424-menze...ramic-kit.html (PC)
Thanks for the info - I ordered some Menzerna polish also. Just for my info, would the XMT product just not work on the Corvette finish or would it take several applications?

I plan on using the PC on some of the other cars in the 'fleet' - how do I know if I should use the XMT or Menzerna?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Thanks for the info - I ordered some Menzerna polish also. Just for my info, would the XMT product just not work on the Corvette finish or would it take several applications?

I plan on using the PC on some of the other cars in the 'fleet' - how do I know if I should use the XMT or Menzerna?

Thanks.
Regarding the XMT vs. Menzerna...

If you ordered the Menzerna bottles, you'll probably get those huge 32 ounce bottles. They'll probably last a lifetime, or at least until the shelf life runs out. To avoid waste, I'd use those exclusively, unless there's a reason NOT to specifically use them. Which if there IS, I'd like to know as well because for now, I'm planning to use the Menzerna twins on my fleet as well. Otherwise, the Menzerna seems to work so well, I wouldn't want to use anything else anyway. Just my .02!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:12 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Thanks.

I dont find that XMT offers the same power in polishing a hard finish like a Vettes the way that Menzerna and our Wolfgang 3.0 polishes due. I think most will agree on this forum who have used both. XMT is fine for most paints, but you need a little extra umph on harder coats.

Get notified of new replies

To PC 7424 for a novice?

Quick Reply: PC 7424 for a novice?