Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Yo SAL Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 10:24 AM
McKVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yo SAL Zaino

I posted this in a different section but figured you could help...

My dad's 57 chevy is in the process of getting stripped down and painted...and we were looking for some ideas for different colors to go with...and also I'm gonna make sure he goes with Zaino to protect that new paint :)

The guy who is doing the paint never heard of Zaino...and said that he only uses a "Hand glaze" or something like that to clean the paint..any idea what that is?
He did say not to use carnuba ...which i know you would agree with.

Any suggestions appreciated on where to find some good colors...

Thanks,
-jon
McKVette@aol.com
Old 01-21-2002, 01:49 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Default Re: Yo SAL Zaino (McKVette)

If you don't mind, I can try to enlighten you to "hand glazes."

Hand glazes, such as 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, used to be very popular. Note I said "used to be."

Many in the detailing world have long abandoned them for more effective means. Hand glazes are loaded with oils, they serve to "fill" with these oils. That said, they also behave like a wax - they evaporate and wash away. They lack longevity and durability, similar to a carnauba as well.

Hand glazes may serve a pupose to those looking for a simple, quick way to make a car's finish appear better than it really is for the purpose of resale. But beware, once time has passed, or the car is washed, has seen rain, etc. the finish will tell a different story.

If you don't mind continuously reapplying a hand glaze, then by all means use it, but there are better ways. :seeya
Old 01-21-2002, 03:20 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Hand Glaze is a good way to hide paint imperfections, this is what some painters will want to do to get the vehicle gone and out the door, they have no durability and will come completely off at the first car wash, as ruby said the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a classic example.

As far as colors and paints go, I am a classic guy, so I would want to paint the 57 in its factory color UNLESS it is a Hot Rod which you did not say whether it is a stock or rodded vehicle.

Regardless, I would want it paint base coat/clear coat by ALL MEANS and Sal Zaino will tell you the same thing.

If going with a custom color, I would actually pick a factory color of any car company, this way the color will always be able to be bought and matched for repairs. To get ideas on color, buy some car mags like Super Chevy or Street Rodder. I like Sikkens brand name paint.

[Modified by KLO, 1:24 PM 1/21/2002]
Old 01-21-2002, 03:33 PM
Andy1983
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Yo SAL Zaino (KLO)

If going with a custom color, I would actually pick a factory color of any car company, this way the color will always be able to be bought and matched for repairs. To get ideas on color, buy some car mags like Super Chevy or Street Rodder. I like Sikkens brand name paint.
True, however, couldn't you just have them make you up a batch up touch up paint (for free too) of the custom color while they have it mixed?
Old 01-21-2002, 03:38 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Default Re: Yo SAL Zaino (Andy1983)

True, however, couldn't you just have them make you up a batch up touch up paint (for free too) of the custom color while they have it mixed?
I was referring more to major repairs rather than touch ups, I am just saying what I would do.

Old 01-21-2002, 04:50 PM
McKVette
Safety Car

It is not stock...it is more "Hot rod" :)

Thanks for the replys

Get notified of new replies

To Yo SAL Zaino

Quick Reply: Yo SAL Zaino