Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black C5, outdoor car, do I have a chance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 PM
wingnut037
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black C5, outdoor car, do I have a chance?

My C5 spends all of its time out doors in southern California. With all of the dust, crows the size of small children leaving deposits on my car, and other joys of being out all the time, do I have a chance doing a good detail and keeping it? I just want to be able to treat the car as well as I can, and not spend a fortune on products that will not help.

I am looking into various vendor kits that include an orbital buffer so I can do some much needed polishing work (suggestions appreciated). I have experience using and orbital, but have always worked indoors. Any concerns with using a clay bar and polishing out doors and in direct sunlight? I don't really have an alternate option at the moment aside from starting early in the morning or late evening.

Another issue I have run into with normal washing is the extremely poor water quality on base (Camp Pendleton). It is very hard and contains particles similar to a poorly drilled well. It is barely drinkable on a good day. Is investing in an in-hose water filter worth some of the prices I have seen?

Thanks much!

Last edited by wingnut037; 04-22-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

For several years before marriage, my wife lived in an apartment. Her car was outside 24/7. I found several items that helped.

1. Wash Weekly as minimum , use shaded area or visit one of those spray washes off hours so you can bucket wash and dry in a bay.

2. Use a durable wax or sealant every 4-8 weeks as possible. Then at each wash session use a spray wax or booster product to help add some additional protection. The Four Star Products, and Wolfgang products we carry are nice products and should not break the bank. Poorboys is another line with high value and no sticker shock.

3. When funds permit, pickup a car cover and lock and cover at night. It seems the dew and moisture is often the culprit in making car look dirty quickly. The lock protects from it blowing away or getting stolen.

4. Consider an occasional late evening wash with a waterless rinse product like ONR to keep car clean when rain or dirt messes the finish early in the week. Keep a little in small travel size spray bottle and MF towel (think soft) in a baggie in trunk. Wipe off birdie doo-doo and other nastys as quickly as possible.

http://www.autogeek.net/clinhofianda.html (wont break the bank and should easily pull the sediment out of the water, two versions available)
Old 04-21-2009, 08:07 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I have owned black daily drivers that were not garaged for years and have had no issues. I just keep a good coat of Zaino on them and wash them usually once a week weather permitting. I would play around on different panels with different products from time to time or try to do a good detail/paint correction once or twice a year and they always looked beautiful and peole always commented on how nice my cars look.

It can be done, you just need to use a good product like Zaino and practice proper washing and drying techniques such as 2 bucket method, use a quality SS mitt to wash and I first sheet water, then blow dry with Toro electric leaf blower and then dry with a quality soft waffle weave mitt.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:12 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,945 Likes on 4,820 Posts

A car cover would be of help as well.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:01 AM
JSingleton
Advanced

Originally Posted by dvilin
A car cover would be of help as well.
I agree. Do your detail and follow up with a car cover when you are not driving the car.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:36 AM
ekim7878
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

you sir are screwed. I suggest you just sand all the paint off it and leave it primer. If you do so then it will not look as dirty.

If you are a high rank, I also suggest that you could get people ranked below you to wash your car for you whenever it is dirty. That would ensure it is clean all the time.

Good luck. I have a black C5, it is evil.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ekim7878
you sir are screwed. I suggest you just sand all the paint off it and leave it primer. If you do so then it will not look as dirty.

If you are a high rank, I also suggest that you could get people ranked below you to wash your car for you whenever it is dirty. That would ensure it is clean all the time.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:58 PM
wingnut037
Racer

Originally Posted by ekim7878

Thanks for the imput Mike.

You find that missing torque yet?

Many thanks to the other helpful replies. So many options on products and hardware its difficult to pick a direction.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:46 PM
James92
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a car cover is key! I have been in black cars for the last 10 years, camaro, trans am, c4 vette, and now my c5z. Keep your car covered! I haven't washed a car with a hose in 5 years! cover, california duster, and spray detailer and mf towels will keep you clean. My car is not driven in the rain so, I have a second cheapie car cover $20 at wal-mart. If it's going to rain I put a sheet of painters plastic over my good car cover then, put my cheapie cover on top of the plastic to hold it down. Your car will look as good as it did before you covered it.Of course, all of this is irrelevant if you HAVE to drive it in the rain. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Black C5, outdoor car, do I have a chance?

Quick Reply: Black C5, outdoor car, do I have a chance?