Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

tire cleaning--white walls

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:48 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

Default tire cleaning--white walls

whitewalls on 66 look awful . i usually use chlorox cleanser but it isn't very satisfactory . i'm hesitant to use a spray whitewall cleaner because i feel it turns the black part of tire brown . thoughts please ,and yes i did a search and found limited and old info . . . .peace
Old 05-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Westley's Bleche White is a great spray cleaner. You can also use an SOS pad or similar (not steel wool type) and scrub the whitewall clean. That does an excellent job but I wouldn't overdo it.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Roughrider
Westley's Bleche White is a great spray cleaner. You can also use an SOS pad or similar (not steel wool type) and scrub the whitewall clean. That does an excellent job but I wouldn't overdo it.

Use a finger nail brush and scrub works excellent good luck
Old 05-17-2009, 08:46 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tyre Cleaners
For any type of protection to work efficiently on rubber it must be able to adhere to the surface. First remove any brake dust, road tar, grease and grime, wax and dead rubber from the surface to properly clean it. A tyre cleaner needs to be strong enough to tackle a heavy build-up of tyre dressings and road grime, but not damage wheel coatings.

It should clean the tyres down to the original rubber surface, this is especially important when you apply a new dressing, as dressings won't adhere to, or create the right shine on dirty rubber. This tyre cleaner is a strong concentrate; spray-and-rinse tyres, without scrubbing, if you are starting on an old, neglected surface, use a fairly stiff tyre brush for the first application and a spray & rinse at least 3-4 times a year - HiTemp Tyre Cleaner

Eimann Fabrik Tyre Cleaner & Whitewall Brightener is specifically designed to clean tyres also contains optical brighteners to clean and refresh whitewalls and white lettering. Some tyre cleaners contain bleach to brighten whitewalls but bleach can turn the carbon black in tyres a dull grey colour

Note: Bleche-Wite® Whitewall Cleaner- contains Butyl Cellosolve (2-butoxyethanol) Sodium Met silicate and Sodium Hydroxide, which are acidic, none of which are particularly paint, rubber or human friendly. It will stain / etch clear coat painted wheels and zinc rotors as well as drying out tyres

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Jesse
Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Founder St. Jude Fundraiser

... You can also use an SOS pad or similar (not steel wool type) and scrub the whitewall clean. That does an excellent job but I wouldn't overdo it.

I always used them on white letter tires and it cleaned them w/o any damage Just wet the pad and the whitewalls thoroughly
Old 05-17-2009, 09:12 AM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you search the board, you will find Amazing Roll-Off is frequently mentioned as thee tire cleaner. I have not tried it yet myself, but it's in my shopping cart on A-geek.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:50 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,585 Likes on 2,170 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Sometimes you can get away with just a bristle brush and Bleach White. For stubborn stains on neglected ww's the soapy SOS works great with the Westley's BW.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:50 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Amazing Roll-Off and a scrub brush is always a nice offering.

www.autogeek.net

Get notified of new replies

To tire cleaning--white walls

Quick Reply: tire cleaning--white walls