Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black plastic trim in the wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:18 PM
John LMBZ06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black plastic trim in the wheel well

I can get it somewhat clean by scrubbing it and then get it to pop bright black by using some Turtle Wax Ice. But my problem is that the surface is pretty rough now since my car is a daily driver. Has anyone used sandpaper? What grit did you use?

I am not talking about the part that is deep in the wheel well, but the part that you can see easily on the outside that kinda acts like a mini mud flap would.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Z06_Joe
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by John LMBZ06
I can get it somewhat clean by scrubbing it and then get it to pop bright black by using some Turtle Wax Ice. But my problem is that the surface is pretty rough now since my car is a daily driver. Has anyone used sandpaper? What grit did you use?

I am not talking about the part that is deep in the wheel well, but the part that you can see easily on the outside that kinda acts like a mini mud flap would.
These areas are prone to pitting from road sand, debris etc. Basically the area gets sandblasted and becomes rough. The C5 Z06 had the same issue on the rear brake scoops located on the rear rocker areas.

If you sand down the area it will be smooth but it will loose all gloss. It will look like its prepped for paint which is an option or you can replace them.

Covering them with dressing will help such as our Detail Spray #1 or even Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Gel will keep those areas looking good without major expense. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:36 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I painted mine with matte black paint last year after removing tires to detail the barrels. I used some steel wool on the small scratches first to smooth. I coat weekly with Griots Undercarriage Spray and they look like new.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:37 PM
0Detailed Image
Former Vendor

Sorry I don't have an exact answer but I can tell you the Chemical Guys Fade 2 Black is outstanding for the wheel wells. Simply spray it on to restore a dark and uniform looking finish to the wheel wells. You can read more and see some great pictures here (Professional Detailer Product Review Chemical Guys Fade 2 Black). Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Default Back to Black

I've got 21,000 miles on my C6. I avoid driving in rain and never on dirt roads. I regularly show my Vette, so I never let it get really dirty. I use a nylon dusting brush with 360 degree radial bristles in a 18v hand drill to clean and remove road dust and debris, then wash with car wash and finish with Back to Black. I get great results.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:15 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_Joe
These areas are prone to pitting from road sand, debris etc. Basically the area gets sandblasted and becomes rough. The C5 Z06 had the same issue on the rear brake scoops located on the rear rocker areas.

If you sand down the area it will be smooth but it will loose all gloss. It will look like its prepped for paint which is an option or you can replace them.

Covering them with dressing will help such as our Detail Spray #1 or even Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Gel will keep those areas looking good without major expense. Good luck.
However, I removed my wheels a couple of weeks ago and cleaned the area. I then followed up by spraying C-Magic Tire Dressing all over the area. After a few minutes I used a towel to wipe the area down. Other than the pitting, it looks new again. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Black plastic trim in the wheel well

Quick Reply: Black plastic trim in the wheel well