Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

looking to give Zano a try, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:25 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default looking to give Zano a try, need suggestions

they seem to have several packages available of their products.
what should i buy? i notice they have leather cleaner and stuff, does any of that have a good real leather smell? somthing that cleans and also gives a little of the new car smell back?

as for the exterior, i want the wet look, but often feel like some companies have all kinds of stuff you have to apply 1 stage after another which i think is just a way to sell more products.
what do i need what dont i need to buy to get the look i am looking for?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 PM
ROC OUT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will get other suggestions and comments that will be helpful but I went with the $85 kit. This includes everything you will need to get a great Zaino shine and protection for your vehicle. Keep in mind that the products you use are only really as good as the underlying condition of the paint and clearcoat. There is no substitute for using an orbital polisher to remove clearcoat swirls and other imperfections prior to waxing/protecting the paint.

With the $85 kit, you will be able to clay your car and use Z7 to wash the exterior. You then can use Z5 to cover minor swirls and imperfections in your clearcoat and then Z2 to get additional shine, wet look, and clarity. Z6 can be used in between coats to enhance the shine of the Z5 or Z2 and to help remove light dust from the finish. Follow all directions included in the kit and you should be more than happy with the results. The initial application process and paint preparation will take you the better part of a day so make sure that you devote enough time to complete the process. Zaino products are long lasting and I get compliments on the finish of my car all the time. I've been using Zaino for over a year now and love the results.

As for the interior, I have never tried the Zaino leather products but intend to do so in the near future. I've read that these products protect well and I believe they leave behind a leather smell that users like.

Good luck on your choices and let us know what you decide!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Stan MI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am amazed that you haven't got a ton of replies from the Zaino people here.

I think Zaino has an almost cult following. It's on my list to try.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:36 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
they seem to have several packages available of their products.
what should i buy? i notice they have leather cleaner and stuff, does any of that have a good real leather smell? somthing that cleans and also gives a little of the new car smell back?

as for the exterior, i want the wet look, but often feel like some companies have all kinds of stuff you have to apply 1 stage after another which i think is just a way to sell more products.
what do i need what dont i need to buy to get the look i am looking for?
With zaino they want you to buy zfx to lay a base layer then apply z2 wipe with z6 then apply with z5 wipe off with z6 or z8 for max shine, but honestly if you want I can let you try some of my blackfire Wet diamond all finish paint protection which gives similair looks imo

on edit:
I am not personally fond of zaino (i used to use it on my mustangs) so in my opinion there are much different and better waxes out there of which I can let you try some if your curious.

Last edited by blackmachdown; 10-19-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
With zaino they want you to buy zfx to lay a base layer then apply z2 wipe with z6 then apply with z5 wipe off with z6 or z8 for max shine, but honestly if you want I can let you try some of my blackfire Wet diamond all finish paint protection which gives similair looks imo

on edit:
I am not personally fond of zaino (i used to use it on my mustangs) so in my opinion there are much different and better waxes out there of which I can let you try some if your curious.
If you applied Zaino in the order that you mentioned, that may have been the reason for not getting good results. ZFX is a curing additive for Z-2 and Z-5. Z-5, if used, should be applied before Z-2 for best results.

I've used Zaino products for the last seven years and have achieved great results. I show my Vette in concours events and Zaino has helped with many first place wins. For that show car finish over a properly prep'd surface, several layers of Z-5/Z-2 need to be applied to provide a base for that deep wet finish. For the combination of shine and durability, I have not found a product that gives me better results than Zaino.

Their line of products other than polishes/sealants are great also. Their leather cleaner (Z-9) does a good job in removing dirt and other contaminates from leather, vinyl and plastics. Their leather conditioner (Z-10) helps to renew softness of leather. Both of these product leave a leather scent.

Z-16 gives me the sheen that I am looking for in a tire dressing.

I use products other than those by Zaino for detailing, but for paint, leather and tires, I use the above.

Last edited by Onyasix; 10-19-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:29 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

no i didnt put zfx by itself , i meant to type that you need to use zfx mixed with z2 or z5 to get the base layer,

and no i got the same results you did it just that on black zaino left a plastic sterile shine as if i had wrapped the car in saran wrap, i prefer the deep wet gloss you get with carnauba and some of the newest sealants out like blackfire and wolfgang
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

If you want wet and simple you need a properly prepared surface first. Then you can go with Zaino All in One which has the components of most of it's polishes including some minor swirl correction/hiding capability. Follow with the Clear Sealant and then finish with Z8 which goes on like a spray detailer. Use Z6 spray detailer between full details for maintenance.

For leather use Z9 Cleaner/conditioner and Z10 "Leather in a Bottle" for the new car leather smell.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
no i didnt put zfx by itself , i meant to type that you need to use zfx mixed with z2 or z5 to get the base layer,

and no i got the same results you did it just that on black zaino left a plastic sterile shine as if i had wrapped the car in saran wrap, i prefer the deep wet gloss you get with carnauba and some of the newest sealants out like blackfire and wolfgang
I’m not knocking carnauba waxes for high impact shine, many pros use them. You may likely achieve the finish that you are looking for quicker with a good carnauba wax on a properly prep'd surface, but carnauba waxes do not compare with Zaino's polishes/sealants in durability and longevity. Zaino’s Z-2 (Pro) and Z-5 (Pro) were reformulated a short time back so they are not old-school products.

It has been my finding that you need to have at least three layers of Z-2 to get 95% of its potential for a deep wet shine. Each layer after those first three may not even be noticeable. But as the layers build up the subtle difference will appear. This is when you will match and exceed most other quality products (waxes and polishes) in achieving that deep wet look.

My Vette is not black (The DSOM is a mid-range color) but I have used Z-2 and Z-5 on my Wife’s black ’58 Impala and have not noticed any plastic sterile shine as you mentioned. You may have applied TOO much. A quarter of an ounce of Z-2 or Z-5 will cover a Vette.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

What are you trying to achieve? Does your paint need any swirls removed or just a good cleaning/prep before you apply your LSP? What color is it? Do you plan on applying multiple coats all at once for the ultimate shine or are you just looking for the best protection out of 1 coat?

It is hard to recommend what products you need without knowing all this info.

If you do not plan on applying multiple coats at one time you can skip ZFX and just use Z-AIO as your base coat.

Do you need to clay first? Zaino's clay is one of the better brands on the market and if you haven't clayed I highly recommend you do, even if your car is new.

If you have any swirls I would add ZPC (Fusion) to your order.

For dark color cars I prefer Z5p. Light colors and metallics I like Z2p.

I like Z6 for after a wash and before I apply another coat of Zaino. It makes the finish clean and slick and your Zaino will go on super thin after using this making it easy to apply and remove.

I like Z8 for after a wash if I do not have time to apply an additional coat but want to add some additional protection quick. Z8 is a nice way to prolong/maintain your finish.

Z9 and Z10 are one of my favorite leather cleaners and conditioners and leave an awesome leather smell behind. I even use it on my leather couch.

I also like using Z7 soap as it is very concentrated and is formulated to work with the polish so it last its longest. It also smells and cleans great.

And if you are real lazy Clear Seal is an awesome wipe on walk away polish that adds another dimension of depth when used on top of Z2p or Z5p or just a really quick way to add protection really fast. I find CS works and looks best when it is followed with Z8.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:47 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Onyasix

My Vette is not black (The DSOM is a mid-range color) but I have used Z-2 and Z-5 on my Wife’s black ’58 Impala and have not noticed any plastic sterile shine as you mentioned. You may have applied TOO much. A quarter of an ounce of Z-2 or Z-5 will cover a Vette.

That is because you no longer get that sterile look if you are using the newer "Pro" version of the polish. That is a myth that is left over from older versions back when it was in its infancy.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:26 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying zaino is a bad sealant at all, its just not the end all be all like everyone makes it out to be. I dont remember if I was using the pro version or not (circa 2004/2005) I remember i put 2 layers of z5 and z2 and it was super reflective, but next to other black cars it wasnt deep or shimmery like the carnauba waxed cars.

I guess I didnt emphasize enough in my posts but this is all based on MY PERCEPTIONS not FACTS every person has different tastes and can see the same thing differently!

To go back on topic, Kevin if you would like to come over and check out what I have and try some it would be cool. I have some blackfire sealant a $250 carnauba wax, a $90 carnauba wax, a pc, a rotary, some clay, some quick detailer, and some menzerna polishes worst case scenario we get your paint perfect for the zaino!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:51 AM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You know what always cracks me up about tha Zaino rants & comments?
Our cars Are Plastic!

My plastic car with it's plastic looking Zaino shine really does shine.
Z2 /Z5 gives black enourmous reflective properties.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used it for years and frankly liked it better when you just put on the Z-1 let it dry and then the Z-2 right over it. (with the proper cleaning and prep). Once the base is down, lots of light coats of Z-2 are the key for best results Once you get a few coats on, it's really the easiest "wax" to use of any I've tried in 35 years of car care.
Too many steps and combinations are a negative in my mind.
Do they even make Z-1 any more????
http://s576.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=DSCN1172.jpg

Last edited by BSE1956; 10-21-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BSE1956
I've used it for years and frankly liked it better when you just put on the Z-1 let it dry and then the Z-2 right over it. (with the proper cleaning and prep). Once the base is down, lots of light coats of Z-2 are the key for best results Once you get a few coats on, it's really the easiest "wax" to use of any I've tried in 35 years of car care.
Too many steps and combinations are a negative in my mind.
Do they even make Z-1 any more????
http://s576.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=DSCN1172.jpg
Evidently not, Zaino no longer shows Z-1 in their line up. I've still got a six year old bottle in the workshop.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:51 AM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Z-1 is no more. I had a mobile detailer in town that bought my last two bottles over the summer. He still liked it.

You do get better results with ZFX than with Z-1. In addition to the faster drying, you also get better bonding to the paint and a brighter shine that lasts longer. It also sets you up to apply Z-2p/Z-5p out of the bottle later (up to 10 coats).

Those that don't like the ZFX method can use ZCS to get the polish activator applied to the surface of the veichle.

I have used both methods and seem to achieve the same great results.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:24 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I use Zaino and do notice as much as I use it and as many gazillion layers I apply of the z 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 etc that it still doesnt make the blue look deeper and darker than with carnauba stuff. I compared one old fender i had with meguiars low end 3 step vs zaino and there was definitely a difference. I still use zaino because the meguiars didnt even last 2 car washes.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:16 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 8000RPM
I use Zaino and do notice as much as I use it and as many gazillion layers I apply of the z 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 etc that it still doesnt make the blue look deeper and darker than with carnauba stuff. I compared one old fender i had with meguiars low end 3 step vs zaino and there was definitely a difference. I still use zaino because the meguiars didnt even last 2 car washes.
try some collinite waxes for durability

Get notified of new replies

To looking to give Zano a try, need suggestions

Quick Reply: looking to give Zano a try, need suggestions