Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Woo hoo Got my FLEX KIT and ready to rock and Roll

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:37 PM
WishboneZ51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woo hoo Got my FLEX KIT and ready to rock and Roll

I am soooo excited. I got my Flex Orbital Polisheer in late last night from AutoGeek and am soooo ready to get started on my Car. I have been reading post after post and watched I think every video possiable on these machines. now it's time to get down and dirty and see what results I can get with my attention to detail and careness for my ride that nobody else could possiable put into the work needed to get it as perfect as possiable. I am going to do some video of my techniques used as well as pictures. What a machine the Flex is, even after seing it in the videos it did not do justice to the size and quality of product it is.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:28 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

thanks for the order ... wait till you start using the Flex, you will be impressed with its power too. Remember to tighten the backing plate prior to use ...its in directions but often missed. Cannot wait to see pics and hear results, polish well !!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 PM
HP ADDICT
Pro

What kit did you buy?
Old 10-24-2009, 09:11 AM
stig-zzz
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

the flex is the real deal great machine your going to love it
Old 10-24-2009, 10:00 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 916 Likes on 452 Posts

It's a very easy machine to get the hang of, but I'd still advise practicing on one car first, especially if this is your first polisher.
You'll love it.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:45 PM
0MikePhillips
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steve8
It's a very easy machine to get the hang of, but I'd still advise practicing on one car first, especially if this is your first polisher.
You'll love it.
That's really good advice.

It's usually better to practice on the wife's or girlfriends grocery getter than dive in head first on a black Corvette.

Get comfortable with the tool, pads and chemicals and then do a Test Spot and dial in your system before tackling the entire car.

See this thread for some similar information.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...lp-needed.html

Old 10-26-2009, 01:48 AM
WishboneZ51
Instructor

Well pictures are going to have to wait until tomorrow for sure. I literally spent a couple hours Friday night, a couple hours Saturday morning, and the entire Sunday today to finish the car. So it is really dark, however I am still a little unsatisfied with my results and here is why.

When I finally received my Vette it was at night and I could not see the paint at all when it was deliverd. But the next day I could see the normal wear and tear on a luxury car nothing big except for some srathes and swirls from washing incorrectly. Boy was I wrong because after I washed it the next night, I took extra amount of time looking at the paint very closely too see what was going on with the paint up close. Then is when I saw the thousands of dots all over the hood, Targa Top, back hatch, and about an inch on the fenders all the way around. I was completely puzzled and till this moment anm still shocked with its patterns and dot marks on the car.

So when my brother was over helping me this morning I was showing him all the dots as well as the other flaws and we were trying to figure what it could be from. My brother seems to think it was caught in a sand strom and was parked right next too two other vehicles which would make sense why the dots are not completely all over the car.

So anyway, after completly getting the car done, Even though I took out probabley 75% of the dots, there are still thousands to be seen which are killing me. So I was wondering if I just need to use more of the swirl remover and the problem areas, or do I need to do some wet sanding? I will post some pictures I promise. The car is probably 96% of what it would look new if you take away the dots, I took out all of the swirls as well as most scratches the origional owner had caused. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh, I do love the Flex, what an awesome machine. But boy oh boy am I really sore.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:34 AM
slalomdude
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Please post some pics as I think it may be similar to what I have. Mine looks like small pits in the clearcoat. You cannot see them from 2 ft away, but get close and its

Last edited by slalomdude; 10-26-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:02 PM
WishboneZ51
Instructor

Yup that is exactly what I have just by your description, now I am just trying to find out how I can fix the problem.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:01 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by WishboneZ51
Yup that is exactly what I have just by your description, now I am just trying to find out how I can fix the problem.
only way to fix those dents is to fill them with paint or level the paint to the lowest point, I recommend just leaving them and enjoying the car as is!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:55 PM
slalomdude
Racer

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
only way to fix those dents is to fill them with paint or level the paint to the lowest point, I recommend just leaving them and enjoying the car as is!
Does anyone know what could have caused this ? Post some photos if you can. I wil try to get some
Old 10-26-2009, 02:06 PM
slalomdude
Racer

I looking at Porter cable DA kits. Was it worth the expense and time to do the car, or do the pits make it a waste time. I thinking it may need wet sanding as a minimum, then a rotary.I am not sure I have enough experience to tackle it. Maybe I just drive it and try to forget it.

Last edited by slalomdude; 10-26-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:43 PM
WishboneZ51
Instructor

No no gang, these are not dents, they are pitts in the clear coat like haveing them on your front grill from sand. If you are saying those are dents then ok, I just want to be on the same page. If I cannot remove the imperfections then I am going to have to repaint the car. however, i have waited all my life to start collecting the car of my dreams and after this car is paid off I will be getting another one. I want the car to be near perfect, because I still want to drive my cars as often as possiable. But this is way to much of a problem for me to let go to the waist side.

I am going to post pictures so the pro's can pipe in and let me know the next action of recourse,thanks and keep the thoughts coming.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:17 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

No no gang, these are not dents, they are pitts in the clear coat like haveing them on your front grill from sand. If you are saying those are dents then ok, I just want to be on the same page. If I cannot remove the imperfections then I am going to have to repaint the car. however, i have waited all my life to start collecting the car of my dreams and after this car is paid off I will be getting another one. I want the car to be near perfect, because I still want to drive my cars as often as possiable. But this is way to much of a problem for me to let go to the waist side.

I am going to post pictures so the pro's can pipe in and let me know the next action of recourse,thanks and keep the thoughts coming.
i know what your talking about its sand damage, here in colorado alot of cars get them, in the light it looks like glitter until you get real close then you can see the divots in the paint. only way is to fill them with paint or sand down to get rid of them, your more than likely going to have to repaint the damged areas if you cant live with it. sanding it down could compromise your clearcoat causing it to fade and or fail
Old 10-27-2009, 12:36 AM
WishboneZ51
Instructor

Ok, here is an update....

After doing some more reading and videos, I found my attention to detail on the project was compromised by my excitement of completing the project. I rushed the process by far and need to spend a lot more time using the techniques used to do the job to the best of the equipments abilities. However here are some pictures of what I have from the first go at it. I plan to work only one piece at a time and finish that before going to another.

Let me know what you guyes think about the pits, and if I can get them out without sacraficing the clear coat.

Last edited by WishboneZ51; 10-27-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:26 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 916 Likes on 452 Posts

Unless I missed it, I don't see where you describe what your process has been so far?
I like menzerna SIP/orange pad for my more aggressive step.
A lot of people finish up with nano, but I like and use ZPC.
Are you sticking to an area the size of 2'x2'? This is smaller than you may realize.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:41 AM
WishboneZ51
Instructor

Sorry guyes my camera's batterie was dead and needed to be charged, so I took the pictures with my Iphone. What you are looking at are the white speckles in the first couple of frames. All of those dots are completely covering the hood, hatch and about an inch at the top all the way around the car.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:26 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by slalomdude
I looking at Porter cable DA kits. Was it worth the expense and time to do the car, or do the pits make it a waste time. I thinking it may need wet sanding as a minimum, then a rotary.I am not sure I have enough experience to tackle it. Maybe I just drive it and try to forget it.
polishing any car brings out the best in a finish. It is worth the time and effort. Sometimes we all need to stand back 10 feet and look at the difference. This is what most people see and will ever see. Sure there are imperfections we as owners will note and always move to, but I assure you a polished finish stands out and provides many an admirer. And with a Random Orbital (PC, G100, Griots, Flex) there is an extra degree of safety and yet an experience all can tackle.

Get notified of new replies

To Woo hoo Got my FLEX KIT and ready to rock and Roll

Quick Reply: Woo hoo Got my FLEX KIT and ready to rock and Roll