Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Water spots etched in the clear coat...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:54 PM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Water spots etched in the clear coat...

How can you get rid of them? Stove top cleaner works great at getting them off glass. Paint...eh..better not use that on paint.

I have them on my 94 Corvette and my 08 Nissan Titan.

I have tried the 50/50 distilled white vinegar/distilled water mix. Did nothing on either vehicle.

I don't want to use an abbrasive because I never can get it to look right. I have tried that 3M rubbing compound stuff and never could get it to work on either vehicle.

Tips?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:17 PM
bretfraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, you have to determine if the spots are above surface or below surface. The fact that you used oven cleaner (!) to remove spots previously suggests they are above surface.

You have found that a mild acid can remove above surface water spots. It might take a couple of applications and/or need some soak time, but the process you have tried does the trick in many instances. There are more aggressive procedures out there if the vinegar trick doesn't work.

If the spots are below surface, the only way to remove them is machine polishing, or even wet sanding followed by machine polishing. This can get tricky as sanding and polishing remove clearcoat and you want to preserve as much as that as possible.

If you know a good detailer in your area, you may want to discuss the problem with him and see what they suggest.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 AM
James92
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if 3m rubbing compound didn't work for you, you may have to wetsand it. I would try the compound again, it may take a couple times and some elbow grease but it should disappear.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the least abrasive product first-

1. Use a paint surface cleaner (Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner)
2. Try to dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following;
a) Use a 2:1 or stronger solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar (Acetic acid)
b) Try a 2:1 solution of distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
c) Or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
3. Clean the effected surface with Klasse All-In-One or Zaino Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner
4. Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
5. Use a machine polish (Optimum Polish, Optimum Compound) and a cutting (LC White, Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4- 5.0) to level the paint surface
6. For Ceramiclear or other hard clear coats substitute Menzerna for machine polish; Super Intensive Polish / Nano Polish (105FF) or Final Finish Polish (106FA)
7. Use the least aggressive polish/foam pad first, if this doesn’t remove the problem step-up to a more aggressive polish / foam pad set-up
8. Menzerna Power Finish (PO203S) - (M) this is a one-step scratch remover polish is formulated for CeramiClear or other ‘Hard’ paints. It will remove 2500 grit, cut 3.0-gloss 3.5, is formulated as a quick way to polish out light flaws and amplify the paint’s gloss. Use a primed Orange (mid range, high density foam (60 PPI) medium abrasive cutting action LC CCS foam pad 1200 RPM
9. Wet-sand with 2000, 2500 or 3000 grit finishing paper
Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

search for danase water spot remover
Old 01-04-2010, 06:03 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Our paint cleansing lotions (Pinnacle, Dodo, P21S) will often remove recent spots especially on those areas that are protected. Next step if often a light or medium polish. If those spots are truly "etched" into the paint, then sometimes wet-sanding is the only option and should be left to professional as possible.

No need to use oven cleaner on glass either, both our DP Glass Restorer and Diamonite products will help and much safer too.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:44 AM
JSingleton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James92
if 3m rubbing compound didn't work for you, you may have to wetsand it. I would try the compound again, it may take a couple times and some elbow grease but it should disappear.
I was thinking the same thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Water spots etched in the clear coat...

Quick Reply: Water spots etched in the clear coat...