Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

ECS Detail - From Fast to Fast and Shiny

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:29 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default ECS Detail - From Fast to Fast and Shiny

As promised here is another one of my recent details.

This is Chris from ECS East Coast Supercharging in Cream Ridge NJ's car. Here is a little plug for you Chris. You can contact them @ 609 752-0321

For those of you that may know Chris I am sure you can back me up in saying he is NOT a waxer. This car is incredibly fast and gets plenty of use on the street and track, both drag and the twisties. Chris definitely enjoys his car and it shows. The car was in definite need of a detail and looked as if it had not been done in a while. The red was very dull and dirty and was covered in swirls and even some water spot etching on the trunk and roof as seen below.

Car was covered with severe swirls.

And scratches and hard water etching.

The interior was also in need of attention.

I compounded the panels with the water spots first since the water spots did not look too bad. Once I put a shine back on the panel the water spots seemed to jump out at me and looked much worse. Wet sanding was not really in the scope of this detail but they looked so bad I figured let me try to lightly sand the panels with 3000 grit to help minimize the big dull spots all over. This helped to put a shine on the center of the spots but still left the rings etched into the paint. I am not sure if it is worth trying to wet sand these panels with a higher grit and see if it can be fixed or if he would be better off having them re cleared to fix this issue. I recomended the latter as the car would be perfect once this is done. He is also debating doing a carbon wrap on the entire top of the car. Chris, if you decide you want to try to the wet sand route let me know, if you cover my gas and tolls I would even do it pro bono for you. It will probably take most of the day for those two panels, no guarantees.

On all the bad areas I used 3m compound on a yellow meguiars pad and my rotary. Used wool pad first where I lightly hit it with 3000 grit.

Most of the car was hit with a rotary first. Then I went over the entire car with my Flex 3401 set on 5 1/2 with a green LC CCS pad and SIP, followed by PO106FA.

Here are a few after shots.

I had to use 0000 steel wool dipped in Mothers Billet on the exhaust tips, they must have had 1/4 of carbon built up on them, NASTY. I also polished the mufflers with Mothers Billet and sealed them with Rejex Sealant. They came up really nice as they looked like they were polished stainless steel.

The wheel wells were scrubbed with Spray Nine and coated with Z16.

I also did the wheels with one of those cotton wad metal polishes (can't recall the name) and finished them with Simichrome. The tires and weatherstripping was also coated with Zaino Z16.

I went over the Carbon Fiber hood lightly with the Flex ROB and some PO85RD at speed 4.5. I was a little cautious on the CF hood although I suspect it is just like any clear coated part. Something about CF that makes me want to be real careful, maybe it is the high $$$$$. Luckily it was not bad and did not need much.

I vacuumed the interior, then went over it with Spray Nine to clean it. Finished it with 303 Aerospace. The seats and roll bar made it a REAL PAIN in the butt to clean. I also had to use masking tape wrapped around my hand to get the little stuff off the seats and carpet. Windows were done with a mf and window cleaner.

Of course after the polishing I took it outside and washed it with dawn to remove any polishing oils and inspect my work and then went over all the nooks and crannies removing all and any polishing splatter in preperation for the final touch, Zaino.

I first went over the entire car with a german foam polishing applicator or pad and some Zaino All In One. Then I followed up with two coats of Z5p utilizing one of Zaino's cotton applicators. I then went over any areas that looked like there was any streaks or spots I missed wiping off with Z6 (there was not many) and then did the entire car with Z8 using one of Sals Blonde Micro Fibers. These towels really make the Z8 go a long way and stretch this product out, I love them.

Here are some close ups of the now swirl free panels.

I spent most of the day in the bay next the the ECS crew and was kind of watching what they do and how they treat their customers and their cars and I have to say I was impressed. They were very knowledgeable and took incredible care of their customers cars. I would not hesitate to bring either one of my cars to them and let them work on them. They took great care in keeping the cars clean and to prevent any swirls or scratches. I am guessing most of you guys that are already ECS customers already know this but I thought it was definitely worth mentioning.

The were also a bunch of incredibly cool cars in there lot waiting for the ECS treatment. I wish I had snapped a few shots of them but did not think about it when I was there.

Last edited by agentf1; 02-09-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:51 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Like I said on DB! Looks freaking awesome! good job!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 AM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Job well done....Curious, how long did it take?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Nice work. Now if you can just keep Chris from sitting in it, it may stay clean
Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

great job. In response to your use of masking tape on your hand to pick up little stuff: did you ever try the 4-5 inch lint rollers you use on clothing? I get them from the Dry Cleaner and they work great inside a car ( and on your clothes).
Old 02-10-2010, 08:21 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by mvcrash
great job. In response to your use of masking tape on your hand to pick up little stuff: did you ever try the 4-5 inch lint rollers you use on clothing? I get them from the Dry Cleaner and they work great inside a car ( and on your clothes).
LOL, yes, that is what I usually use but when I detail off site I always forget something. My MIL works at a Dry Cleaners so we have tons of those things around the house.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:38 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,091 Likes on 659 Posts

Awesome job Frank,
I'll bet with a little more scrubbing, you might be able to take the ricer out of that hood too!

(seriously though, Frank is the detailing MAN!)
Old 02-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

Frank, I think you missed a spot
I stopped by ECS when Frank was about half way done so I got to see some before and after spots on the Z06. Beautiful job as usual
Old 02-10-2010, 06:54 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great Agent! I saw that car last July and thought the finish was nice on it. Wasn't in beaming sunlight...but it still looked good. Chris is DEFINITELY NOT a waxer

I'll spend a day with mine the first nice day. Plenty of painters tape(what a PAIN IN THE AXX that is!) for the trim etc and menzerna with the flex.

Very well done!!! ***** 5 stars!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
traindude
Race Director

Nice work!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:36 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Excellent correction skills Frank!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:47 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by tlc0706
Job well done....Curious, how long did it take?
Approximately 8 hours but I was hustling.

Originally Posted by J Z06
Looks great Agent! I saw that car last July and thought the finish was nice on it. Wasn't in beaming sunlight...but it still looked good. Chris is DEFINITELY NOT a waxer

I'll spend a day with mine the first nice day. Plenty of painters tape(what a PAIN IN THE AXX that is!) for the trim etc and menzerna with the flex.

Very well done!!! ***** 5 stars!
I think Mikey was telling me it sat outside for a little while which is probably where it picked up the etching etc, this was probably after you saw it. Although it didn't look real bad to me either until I did a small spot and then you can always tell how much work they really need. Red always responds really well to polishing IMHO.

Last edited by agentf1; 02-10-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks for the link to this thread Frank and great job on the car... I didn't even know there was a car care section....
Old 02-12-2010, 09:20 AM

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by agentf1
Approximately 8 hours but I was hustling.
Hustling?
Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Thanks for the link to this thread Frank and great job on the car... I didn't even know there was a car care section....
I could tell.

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:32 PM

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by agentf1
I could tell.

Thanks for the compliment.
Ohhh come on, it wasn't that bad.......was it?
Old 02-12-2010, 03:01 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Ohhh come on, it wasn't that bad.......was it?
No comment...

That said I have seen worst.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Steve D
Instructor

Amazing! Maybe I missed it in the write-up, but is there a CLEAR COAT on this vette?

Get notified of new replies

To ECS Detail - From Fast to Fast and Shiny

Quick Reply: ECS Detail - From Fast to Fast and Shiny