Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

removing stuborn dirt/brake dust of rims?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 606 Likes on 225 Posts

Default removing stuborn dirt/brake dust of rims?

I had a thread a few months ago concerning my HRE's. I had used an acid based wheel cleaner(unknowingly) on my bare aluminum HRE's lips and it totally oxidized them. I had to use mothers aluminum polish to restore them but I cant seem to get to the inside area by the fasteners. What can I use that is abrasive enough but not damaging to remove that dirt/brake dust? I've tried wheel brushes but they cant get deep enough. How about some sand paper or steel wool?

Any recommendations?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:51 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

We recently started to carry a product called Sonax Wheel Cleaner. It is acid based but PH balanced and manufacturer suggests it can be used on all wheel types. It actually changes color (yellow to a purple/red) as it reacts with brake dust and loosens it. As with any wheel cleaner and uncoated wheels, I must warn to test product first in small area and I do so with any I use on my Iforged Wheels.

Add to this you likely will need some agitation. You suggest wheel brushes didnt work, but have you tried something smaller like a Mothers Powercone or Powerball Mini ??? Using this with a good metal polish like Flitz normally is all thats needed.

I have indeed heard of others using quad zero brass wool on high dollar wheels, but I must also warn to tread lightly and test in small areas first. I use to be able to get very small wool bobs that I could use on wheels also and they could be used with drill and dremel. Start by looking to a company called Eastwood if you go that route.

Hopefully that offers some options to get you going and getting the HRE's back into show standard form.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 AM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear, forget the sand paper, Your will need a metal polishing system that will make those wheels look and feel new again and protect them. You can try one of these systems : http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/alpolkit.htm

or you can try our Blackfire Aluminum Metal Polish system also. : http://www.properautocare.com/blmeposy.html

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/wopoba.html

Angelo
Email me at Angelo.g@properautocare.com
Toll Free 1-800-628-7596

Get notified of new replies

To removing stuborn dirt/brake dust of rims?

Quick Reply: removing stuborn dirt/brake dust of rims?