Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Duster or Spray Detailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:52 PM
The Silver Fox
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Duster or Spray Detailer

After taking the car out, what is the best way to quicly clean it besides a full wash? Have seen some suggest a duster like California Duster and others say quick spray detailer.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:03 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

i use both.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:54 PM
chupr0kabra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I prefer a QD spray with a good microfiber cloth. I have a California Duster, but I've never been as happy with the results as I get when I just use the QD spray.

-Mike
Old 04-27-2011, 03:47 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

If the car is clean and just a little dusty after a short cruise I have always used a California Duster with light pressure and follow it up with Zaino Z6. Some will argue that you need to wash it but I just don't agree with that. There is a potential for fine swirls even with correct washing.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I too use both, often.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:41 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Any pollen or sand on the finish can scratch often even with a duster. I would suggest a rinseless wash product which offers some additional protection in the form of lubrication and emulsifiers. Ultima, Dp, and Optimum make them and used quite similar to Detail Sprays.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

I blow it off with the master blaster then a quick spritz

clif
Old 04-28-2011, 08:21 AM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Any form of dusting or QDing can scratch your finish. The trick is the proper one and use. The California Duster can be use as long you apply very very little pressure on the finish. On the QDing part is finding the right product for your ride. These fine products have been use and test around the country and had the right type of lubrication and/or emulsifier in them.

Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine (ONR) is one of the best performing products we have ever tested for rinseless washing and for that extra protection when it comes to scratching the finish.

BLACKFIRE Deep Gloss (Spray) Sealant, We paid particular attention to making this spray trouble free on all finishes, even in climates of high heat and humidity. You will not have problems with those hazy patches, streaks or cloudiness. Just a rich, clean uniform shine!

Eagle One Wipe N' Shine, removes surface dust while renewing and enhancing the wax shine. The unique formula provides non-streaking, anti-static protection on paint, chrome, rubber, glass and plastic.

Eimann Fabrik Clear Pearl II Instant Detail Spray, Eimann Fabrik Clear Pearl II is the perfect wipe-down for all cars, motorcycles and in-service limousines. It protects and beautifies with the shiny look and slippery feel of a just-waxed finish you have been looking for and great in removering dust off your car.

http://www.properautocare.com/nr2006c.html

http://www.properautocare.com/blacdeepglos.html

http://www.properautocare.com/2088616.html

http://www.properautocare.com/eifaclpeiiin.html
Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I figure any time you touch the car paint it can scratch. I wash maybe 4 times a year. Lightly dust with California duster, quick detail spray once a week ,even if not driven, more if driven. The duster is used only if the car has stayed in the garage and not driven. I have a machine silver color so scratches are harder to see. No rain or dirt roads period. I also use the Klasse twins twice a year and sometimes will add a wax over them. Not show car condition but very acceptable for me. I went with silver for this very reason...upkeep. After tree years I should probably have a clay job done. Sides are smooth but some fine contaminants can be felt on top surfaces, not real bad just not 100% smooth. Maybe rate it a A-.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

I use the duster, then detail spray with a microfiber towel.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Any pollen or sand on the finish can scratch often even with a duster. I would suggest a rinseless wash product which offers some additional protection in the form of lubrication and emulsifiers. Ultima, Dp, and Optimum make them and used quite similar to Detail Sprays.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just don't get putting quick detailer on a dirty car or even an unwashed car that may look clean but that you want to touch up.

Seems like you are grinding whatever's there into the clearcoat.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:13 AM
traindude
Race Director

Originally Posted by ricknyc23
i use both.
Same here.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:27 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend using a high quality, plush microfiber towel over a duster any day. Previously I have written a long (8k words) explanation why, but in this case, I'm going to try to keep it short. (I'm off to a bad start, already!).

Let's just look at the dirt and what is happening to it as it is removed.

With a duster you are using a piece of yarn that has been treated with parrifin wax. The parifin wax acts as an adhesive that grabs the dirt. The problem is that the wax doesn't act as a lubricant, so you are essentially 'dry-wiping' dirt (stuck to yarn) across the surface. The idea that the dust is some how sucked safely off the paint by the yarn and wax isn't true.

With a quick detail spray, you are using a lubricant that is designed to encapsulate the dust, as well as reduce the friction the towel gliding over the paint. This is a huge advantage (and presents a significant reduction in abrasion) when compared to dry mopping the surface. Furthermore, the microfiber material itself should be functionally less abrasives than yarn, particularly yarn that is covered in dust and dirt.

Just like dusting the car, using a qd is remove dust requires specific technique. You wouldn't use pressure when using the duster, so don't use pressure when using a qd. Instead give the section of paint a mist or two of product, than lightly wipe over the surface (using no more pressure than you would with a duster) to encapsulate and remove the dust. (Again because you are using a softer material and lubricant your chances of marring the paint are reduced).

Now using a second towel (or flipping the first over) lightly buff the section to a high gloss shine. Yes it is more time consuming then using a duster, but with the benefit of using a specific lubricant and a softer, cleaner media you greatly reduce the chances of marring from dry mopping.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

I spray a small amount of Lemon Pledge on a microfiber cloth and wipe off a section from top to bottom. Move to next area and use a clean side of the cloth and repeat. I doubt I wash my vette more than 3 times a year, just do this quick detailing at the start of the day.
Been doing this same thing on many cars over the years and it works and is cheap and doesnt scratch as long as you are careful and change the cloth when it's needed.
Tried most of the Quick Detail sprays and none of them worked as good as the Pledge.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Mrs. glass car
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
I spray a small amount of Lemon Pledge on a microfiber cloth and wipe off a section from top to bottom. Move to next area and use a clean side of the cloth and repeat. I doubt I wash my vette more than 3 times a year, just do this quick detailing at the start of the day.
Been doing this same thing on many cars over the years and it works and is cheap and doesnt scratch as long as you are careful and change the cloth when it's needed.
Tried most of the Quick Detail sprays and none of them worked as good as the Pledge.
I can't count the amount of times I have seen owners at car shows use Lemon Pledge on everything from the exterior paint to engine compartments. Always looked good to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Duster or Spray Detailer

Quick Reply: Duster or Spray Detailer