Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black is driving me insane, any tips!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:20 PM
derty01
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Black is driving me insane, any tips!

I need some tips because my black vette is driving me insane. Swirls here and there and it just seems impossible to keep them off. I have a PC with m105 and m205 but might order a flex not sure.

I just need a great setup to maintaining my black vette to it's best. What products should I look into buying? I just can not stand minor swirls marks but I do not want to correct every month either. On the edge of buying a master blaster to dry as that will reduce swirls.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by derty01
I need some tips because my black vette is driving me insane. Swirls here and there and it just seems impossible to keep them off. I have a PC with m105 and m205 but might order a flex not sure.

I just need a great setup to maintaining my black vette to it's best. What products should I look into buying? I just can not stand minor swirls marks but I do not want to correct every month either. On the edge of buying a master blaster to dry as that will reduce swirls.
Or just get a good electric leaf blower, got mine for $65 at Wal Mart and it works great. I had to sell my master blaster because on hi it would blow the fuse in my garage consistently. I feel your pain as I just traded in our black 300C we had for 3.5 years. That car always needed to be detailed, once you see it after the full detail you just can't live with it dirty. Replaced with a new red charger rt, wife would not get the black one. I don't know that a flex will make things that much better, might try some different swirl removers and polishes first.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:31 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Black is, hands down, the best looking color when cleaned and properly detailed, but its also the biggest pita to keep that way. I can deal with black on a garage queen/weekend toy, but I'll never buy another black DD.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:19 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
Black is, hands down, the best looking color when cleaned and properly detailed, but its also the biggest pita to keep that way. I can deal with black on a garage queen/weekend toy, but I'll never buy another black DD.
I concur, but, as time goes by it becomes easier to deal with a little dust here and there. I use my leaf blower to blow off the dust in between washes to help minimize the accumulation of dust etc.

Bottom line for me is, I bought black knowing it is hard to keep looking perfect all the time but I would not change it for any other color period.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Use a boar's hair brush to wash. That helped me a lot. I have been using this one for about 4 years http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

This is a good deal if you need a bucket. I found a large bucket to be better than a standard round bucket. http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

Also, I had been using a regular DA but switched to a Flex. MUCH easier to use. I too used Meguiar's 105/205 but now use Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. I find it easier to use and looks great on black.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:15 PM
chupr0kabra
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think owners of black cars have to learn to either constantly maintaining their cars, or learn to live with the little blemishes. Personally, I've chosen to constantly maintain, because it's "my therapy". My wife and friends give me grief when I say things like, "I almost drove the Vette to work today, but it was too dirty", but that's just the way I'm wired. I can't stand to drive a dirty car.

As for tips, I think changing your washing and drying techniques would help a lot. I have a MasterBlaster, and it helped a lot. If you can couple that with a water filtration system, it will be very effective. When you're cleaning your car, you have to constantly think about what you're doing. Am I applying too much pressure? Do I have enough lubricity between the mitt and the car's surface? Should I rinse that panel again before I wash it? etc.

As goofy as it sounds, it works. For me, washing my car is more than a routine. It's a hobby. It's very relaxing for me to get up early on a Saturday morning when the wife and kid are still asleep, and spend an hour or so just really cleaning the car.

chasboland: Love your avatar!

-Mike
Old 08-11-2011, 06:58 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by derty01

You need to stop the introduction of swirls and then avoid them. It often comes down to proper washing and drying techniques. As yes a Master Blaster can help but not the only item needed. Then using the polishes you have a good buffer should alleviate the swirls and help to control them. A good wax or sealant can help abit too.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:42 AM
op z
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 129 Posts

California duster every day helps...
Old 08-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by TA
I'm with you on that....

My life changed after I got rid of my black cars, seriously.......
Old 08-25-2011, 02:41 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave1

My life changed after I got rid of my black cars, seriously.......

Garage queen MAYBE --- but no more damned black DDs!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:43 AM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Do not use a duster you are liley moving dust over the surface.
always use 2 bucket method to wash
use micro fiber, and change often leaf blower to dry or clean microfiber
always use alot of soap, a foam gun is great
do not wash in sun or when surface is hot
resist temptation to remove dust or wipe down between washes
swirls can be removed with Pc or flex and megs 105/ 205
there are some imperfections you need to live with
once polished , use a good wax or sealant.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

A black vehicle is beautiful when clean. Five minutes later it's dirty.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

its funny how often you will come back to a black ride after moving away. I think the newer black metallics might be a nice option, too bad it hasnt been offered on Vette.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:47 PM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried Lemon Pledge on a friends suggestion on my black beauty this afternoon and it looks great. Just as shiny as quick detailing spray. Now I'll just wait for the dust to come back 'cause I know it's inevitable. But for the next several hours or so it'll be brighter than usual and that's a plus.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Stan MI
Pro

Originally Posted by Street Rat
A black vehicle is beautiful when clean. Five minutes later it's dirty.
How true !!!!

I think you have to get used to looking at it with kind of only one eye all squinty in low light.

If you have any expectations of being satisfied with how it looks you are bound to find another spot to clean or work on.

It's still the best and my favorite color !! IMHO
Old 08-26-2011, 09:43 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jdot
I tried Lemon Pledge on a friends suggestion on my black beauty this afternoon and it looks great. Just as shiny as quick detailing spray. Now I'll just wait for the dust to come back 'cause I know it's inevitable. But for the next several hours or so it'll be brighter than usual and that's a plus.
Finishkare 425 has an anti-static and looks plenty glossy with no wax build up, might be another choice
Old 08-27-2011, 03:29 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One's as good as the other or else we wouldn't all have so many different choices would we?

Get notified of new replies

To Black is driving me insane, any tips!

Old 08-27-2011, 07:28 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jdot
One's as good as the other or else we wouldn't all have so many different choices would we?
not sure I agree ... there are indeed many products but the outcome can be quite different as can the ingredients and how they react in different environments. Thats why its important to chose the product that bests for you given your needs and desires. Personally, I am not a fan on furniture polishes in car care, but to each their own.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Zralou
Instructor

Use a belt sander with 60* grit, it'll remove the swirls and gauranteed you'll never see swirls again!!

Sorry, couldn't resist...
I've detailed so many 'black' cars it's not funny.

Sara Lou
Old 08-28-2011, 12:55 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Zralou
Use a belt sander with 60* grit, it'll remove the swirls and gauranteed you'll never see swirls again!!

Sorry, couldn't resist...
I've detailed so many 'black' cars it's not funny.

Sara Lou

Someday soon - I hope -- someone's gonna invent a spray detailer that's loaded with fillers that will temporarily mask the the clearcoat swirls and light scratches that torture us all.

Quick Reply: Black is driving me insane, any tips!