Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Best wax VS best brand name?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:42 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Best wax VS best brand name?

I have read all about Zano and how great it is but also how some didn't like it. I wonder if anyone has ever taken several name brand waxes and tested for protection, gloss, depth, longevity, etc. If so, I would like to see it and wonder what the ingredient difference was. To me, the waxes all appear to do a great job if the prep was done correctly. That is removal of old wax, remove any haze/contaminants, or make sure the surface is prepped. Then apply the wax. Same number of coats. Is there really that much of a difference?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:24 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

You can measure gloss and durability in the environment for which the testing is started but this will not always equate to your personal outcome and taste. You see alot of it comes down to personal preference which is often unmeasurable. Also each environment can be quite different and effect the outcome.

So its best to find a line of products you like, perhaps using some friends preferences as a starting point, and use them within your environment. The steps are always similar so remember to wash -- clay -- polish -- protect for best results. Also remember a wax, sealant, or coating is only a very small layer to protect the work your did prior to their use.

If you are looking for some of the best products , proven winners, then consider the brands we carry at the request of our clients. Also consider using our forum (see toolbar on site) to see and learn the best uses and results for the products you choose. Sometimes real time tech and answers can alter the outcome also.

www.autogeek.net
Old 10-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I've always used Meguiars products. But I don't see many forum members using it on their Corvettes. I have spent the last few days getting my car prepped. I clay bared, then used Meguiars Mirror Glaze #2 to remove some very minor water spots and had to do it twice, the I used Meguiars Scratch X to complete the prep. I usually then apply Meguiars Gold wax and do 2 coats but I am wondering at this point if I should change to a different wax. I did try Meguiars NXT about 5 years ago and didn't care for it. Was very difficult to buff out and left streaks.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:41 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Kensmith
I've always used Meguiars products. But I don't see many forum members using it on their Corvettes. I have spent the last few days getting my car prepped. I clay bared, then used Meguiars Mirror Glaze #2 to remove some very minor water spots and had to do it twice, the I used Meguiars Scratch X to complete the prep. I usually then apply Meguiars Gold wax and do 2 coats but I am wondering at this point if I should change to a different wax. I did try Meguiars NXT about 5 years ago and didn't care for it. Was very difficult to buff out and left streaks.
The key to any wax or paint sealant, even Megs, is to put on a very thin even coat outside of direct sunlight. Unfortunately more is not better just makes it more difficult to remove.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
The key to any wax or paint sealant, even Megs, is to put on a very thin even coat outside of direct sunlight. Unfortunately more is not better just makes it more difficult to remove.
Would two coats then make is last longer between washes if it is more difficult to remove as you say?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Greg Nichols
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would two coats then make is last longer between washes if it is more difficult to remove as you say?
the answer is maybe.........

If its a wax the solvents in the wax will likely remove the previous wax by taking it back into solution. The skill becomes in how you apply the second layer of wax.

If its a sealant you can apply a second coat about 24hrs later and it will bond to the first layer, after about 3 layers the results are nill difference.

If its a coating, it will likely not bond to its self again......case in point Opti Coat.

Cheers,
GREG
Old 10-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
the answer is maybe.........

If its a wax the solvents in the wax will likely remove the previous wax by taking it back into solution. The skill becomes in how you apply the second layer of wax.

If its a sealant you can apply a second coat about 24hrs later and it will bond to the first layer, after about 3 layers the results are nill difference.

If its a coating, it will likely not bond to its self again......case in point Opti Coat.

Cheers,
GREG
I was thinking 2 thin coats of Meguiars Gold class wax.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:06 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

We suggest two coats of a wax or sealant for absolute best coverage, there is significant doubts as to weather you will note a difference in length of protection over 1-2-3 coats or more. Most suggest its simply wasted product.

I might suggest doing a coat or two at most and then using a good spray product between wax sessions after each wash to keep it up and looking good. Our Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax is easy to use and compatible with all waxes and sealants.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

It is a hobby of mine trying different car care products and I have tried just about EVERYTHING out there from the high end nuba's costing thousands to just about every sealant on the market and have to say that I find myself going back to Zaino.

I find Zaino is one of the few products that has it all, ease of application, awesome looks (just seems more reflective than everything else) and unbelievable durability. It also has the ability to be layered. Their Leather Care products (Z9 and Z10) also seem to be one of the best on the market and smell AWESOME.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 AM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=agentf1;1578938982]It is a hobby of mine trying different car care products and I have tried just about EVERYTHING out there from the high end nuba's costing thousands to just about every sealant on the market and have to say that I find myself going back to Zaino.QUOTE]

Old 10-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

But is Zano a wax or some other kind of sealant? I have read some posts with difficulties regarding Zano. Streaks etc.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:35 PM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

But is Zano a wax or some other kind of sealant? I have read some posts with difficulties regarding Zano. Streaks etc.
I have never had any streaking with Z2, Z5, Z6, or Z8. I did have some very small and fine like swirls with Z-All In One. It is, the most easiest sealant to use after you have properly completed the prep process of your surface of the vehicle. I can complete my vehicle, on average after I have completed the prep process, less than an hour.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:56 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

It is indeed a synthetic wax (sealant) and most their products use the title "polish" loosely as they have no abrasive qualities. I have never seen any streaking but can be related to humid environment, over application, or removing before cured. (they offer an additive to help with this as needed). This can happen with alot of products and some may "seem" a bit more friendly. Try Rejex, Menzerna Powerlock or Wolfgang Deep Gloss as options.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
It is indeed a synthetic wax (sealant) and most their products use the title "polish" loosely as they have no abrasive qualities. I have never seen any streaking but can be related to humid environment, over application, or removing before cured. (they offer an additive to help with this as needed). This can happen with alot of products and some may "seem" a bit more friendly. Try Rejex, Menzerna Powerlock or Wolfgang Deep Gloss as options.
I tried Race Glaze years ago and I remember it seem to be very difficult to remove. Left some deep looking haze but also some very nice deep wet looking paint. I may have tried to remove the residue too soon? I also tried the Meguiars NXT which did the same thing. It must be pilot error on my part.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:17 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

I tried Race Glaze years ago and I remember it seem to be very difficult to remove. Left some deep looking haze but also some very nice deep wet looking paint. I may have tried to remove the residue too soon? I also tried the Meguiars NXT which did the same thing. It must be pilot error on my part.
some products have cleaners and polishes in them to try and do everything at once which sometimes makes removal a bit harder too. But thin is in with car care products, so practice and soon you'll see the breeze in removing most products.

And if you ready for the next step, there are now products like Ultima and Optiseal that need no buffing unless over applied. They essentially disappear.

Get notified of new replies

To Best wax VS best brand name?

Quick Reply: Best wax VS best brand name?