Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What all is needed to buff this to a smooth shine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default What all is needed to buff this to a smooth shine?

I'll start off by admitting that I'm not a "waxer" type..I drive my car, will stable it wet and dirty, and will even go days at a time without washing it even though it clearly needs it. I feel bad, and I'd love to have it minty clean 24/7, but too lazy or busy or both to keep it at that level all the time, especially as a DD.

Anyways, I was looking at the paint close today when attempting to wax it for the first time (Bought it last Christmas) with Armor All Ultra Shine: Butter Smooth Wax..worked GREAT on my gf's Black '08 Tahoe Z71.

When you run your hand over the surface of the car, (I did this on the roof, but could guess it's the same everywhere else), it felt like fine sandpaper, was rough, and definitely NOT smooth feeling.

So I tried applying the wax, as instructed, and it had little to no effect on the feel or look of the surface, so I deducted that what I was seeing and feeling was a lack of either clear coat, or very scratched paint, etc.

Here's a pic of the roof, on the left, you can see the hazed and very finely scratched paint that is dull and abrasive, and on the right, near the weatherstripping, you can see the original smooth paint that hasn't been affected by neglect or whatever.

What all do I need to do to try and get it looking like the part on the right, which is smooth, shiny, and without defects? My knowledge and skill is limited, though I've heard of clay bars and think it's relatively simple to use it..

I'm open ears!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Wash -- clay -- polish (w/ machine) -- then protect

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Old 02-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:39 PM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

The clay job should take care of the roughness and machine polishing will bring back the shine.......All except that roof.. Looks like someone ran under a low limb and touched it up with a paintbrush.. or it's clear coat failure........That area may require a paint shop.....GL
Old 02-19-2012, 12:50 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Those look like DA sand scratches from a body shop after a repaint. You need a professional for that.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Stan MI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost looks like a raised ridge just back of the trim. Could that be some 3M clear film applied to the panel ????

Get notified of new replies

To What all is needed to buff this to a smooth shine?

Quick Reply: What all is needed to buff this to a smooth shine?